Moving selection while pressing CTRL will copy the selection

LiquiDAciD

Hello,

In my current project with some layers and some very basic pixeled drawings it happens. First how to reproduce

Make a project with a layer and draw some random pixels.

Press S to select rectangle selection and select some of the pixels.

Press M to move the selection.

While pressing CTRL (move more than 1 pixel each arrow button) press an arrow, and here it happens, what you are moving is actually a copy of the selection and you are not moving it.

When not using CTRL for the first pixel there is no problem.

If you can't reproduce it i can maybe send you the current PDN.

Thanks

Hi @Liqui - Yes, I too have wondered about this 'ghost' that gets left behind.  I look forward to an explanation too ;) .  I've gotten used to just using the move tool (without Ctrl) or just erasing what gets left behind.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

It is not a bug. It is an intended behaviour, It was introduced back in v 4.0.2 as a regression from v3.5 . This feature lets you to simply copy a selection from in same layer without going through the hassle of copying and pasting the stuffs. Photoshop also behave in same way.

Rick said this in blog stating (quoting from his post on blog i.e the fourth point):-

Changes since 4.0.1:
Move Selected Pixels now lets you hold Control to leave a copy of the selected area behind on the initial move (regression from 3.5)

By the way, why would you ever need to press ctrl while moving?

Edited by Pratyush

Rl7un0O.png

Yup. Intended behavior, not a bug!

By the way, why would you ever need to press ctrl while moving?

To move it 10 pixels at a time with the keyboard.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I have Serif's Photoplus (a paid software similar to photoshop) and it functions the same way. Using the ctrl key as an instant copy/paste is a feature I've come to really like in the serif program. I'm happy to know it's a feature that has joined paint.net now. :)

I never knew there was a way to move things 10 pixels at a time, thinking about it though, that would be nice. Perhaps new shortcut keys can implement that back in?

This feature isn't in the new documentation. Yet. I'll change that :mrviolet:

" Ctrl + arrow key" I didn't knew that this feature existed.  :P  I think there are still some mysteries in PDN for me. I haven't read anything about it documentation of move tool or elsewhere. Yeah, there were tips regarding to constrain aspect ratio and angle of rotation using shift but no mention of Ctrl + arrow option.

@EER, you may also add that to move a selected pixels without copying it from source and using it with Ctrl,  can be done by pressing arrow key first and then pressing ctrl + arrow key.

Its off-topic but I would like to ask how is work regarding new documentation going.

I heard that you were around Draft #5 or something. Is there any chance that we are going to see documentation by the end of this summer? :)

Edited by Pratyush

Rl7un0O.png

I believe we're very close to releasing. The team has been working hard. I'm in the process of finishing up some under-the-hood items. Then the docs should be ready for final review.

Yup. Intended behavior, not a bug!

To move it 10 pixels at a time with the keyboard.

Yes thats why i actually use ctrl. What i'm doing now is first move by 1 pixel left->right and then with ctrl. I'm making many pixeled images for simple visualisation stuff, always working on pixellevel so i'd find it pretty annoying actually.

When i want to copy a part i just simply use ctrl+c and ctrl+v because i can move the selection copy without first clicking the move button so i find that way more user friendly to be honest.

Anyway can it be an option or something? It happens to me 20 times a day and still not learning it :(

Pieter

Edited by LiquiDAciD