How to Install Plugins ×

Reticulation effect

ReMake

Reticulation is wrinkling, cracking the emulsion layer of film. Fatal defect, the result of violations of the treatment process.
Sometimes the effect is achieved consciously and used as a means of expression in photography.

This plug-in creates pseudo-reticulation effect. You can find it under Effects-> Artistic -> Reticulation.

Download from my PluginPack

Reticulation2.png

Reticulation1.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Thanks ReMake!  How about a screenshot showing an image before the effect is run and after?

Interesting effect, a noise variation? Thank you :)

No. Clouds + brightness & multiply blending mode.

Edited by ReMake

Some more information for users:

You can find this effect in the Effects > Photo submenu.

Filename:  Reticulation.dll

Works with both 3.5x and 4.x

• 2 months later...

Useful, thanks. As nitenurse78 mentioned, I would expect it in the Effects->Noise menu.

One suggestion: The effect should not touch pixels which are totally transparent. Makes it easier to use it on objects.

midoras signature.gif

Useful, thanks.

Thank You.

... As nitenurse78 mentioned, I would expect it in the Effects->Noise menu.

In my opinion, the Noise submenu assumes work with the photos having chromatic or brightness noise which is inherent in digital cameras. The high established sensitivity of a matrix (ISO) is the reason of this noise.

As I already wrote in the first post this defect was used as an art tool for the photo, so I placed it in the submenu Photo.

BTW, in a PhotoShop this effect is located in the menu Filter and submenu Sketch.

One suggestion: The effect should not touch pixels which are totally transparent. Makes it easier to use it on objects.

You can see photos with the real reticulation: Portrait with a reticulation by Nikolay Osoka (Gaev) or Ретикуляция_на_фотоплёнке.

So as my plug-in represents pseudo-effect, I will think over your offer during some time.

Hello ReMake, I may have experienced reticulation long time ago (in the 80's). Somehow I lost a film in my trunk and found it a couple of years later next to the spare tire. I took it home and placed it in the freezer and forgot it there for another couple of years. :)  I took it then to the local Walmart for developing and when I got the pictures back they were very grainy and showed fissure like lines all over. I think that the Texas heat as well as the freezing over time did the work.

The pseudo-reticulation effect is nice but I wonder if something could be done to increase even more the effect and make the grains larger. 

By the way, Walmart did not charge me for the photos. That was the good all times.

@ReMake! Thank you for plugin.

Thank You, Seerose. Very unexpected application of effect, it very much is pleasant to me.

... I think that the Texas heat as well as the freezing over time did the work. ...

... By the way, Walmart did not charge me for the photos. That was the good all times.

I'm cheerful optimist and I love people with a sense of humor.

The pseudo-reticulation effect is nice but I wonder if something could be done to increase even more the effect and make the grains larger. 

I will consider Your offer together with the midora offer and I will give You the answer later. Maybe this will be a modification of the effect or it will be a new effect.

Edited by ReMake

• 2 weeks later...

I updated effect to version 1.1.  I hope it will be useful. Now you can find it in the Effects menu and Artistic submenu.

Я обновил эффект до версии 1.1.  Надеюсь он окажется полезным. Теперь вы можете найти его в меню Эффекты, подменю Художественные.

• Upvote 3

I updated effect to version 1.1.  I hope it will be useful. Now you can find it in the Effects menu and Artistic submenu.

Я обновил эффект до версии 1.1.  Надеюсь он окажется полезным. Теперь вы можете найти его в меню Эффекты, подменю Художественные.

@ReMake! Thank you for new version plugin. :star:

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

@ReMake! Thank you for new version plugin. :star:

I am glad that You like this effect. I saw You found original application of effect. +1

Hello ReMake, Thanks for the update. I like the changes but when applied on a new layer the new version does not render transparency as version 1.

You are absolutely right. The algorithm of version 1.1 is changed in comparison with the previous version. I need some time to try to consider transparency.

Edited by ReMake

Thanks for the addition to the update. Accessing blending modes from within the plugin are very useful.

Since the plugin is now in the Artistic submenu an option to pick colors could be nice.

Edited by Eli
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the addition to the update. Accessing blending modes from within the plugin are very useful.

Since the plugin is now in the Artistic submenu an option to pick colors could be nice.

@ReMake! WOW! Fantastic. The combination works really well. Thank you very much.

I wish that all your wishes are fulfilled this year.   w34hbjh9.gif
Edited by Seerose

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

• 1 month later...

I updated effect to version 1.3.

I hope it's exactly what You said.

@ReMake! Fein. Thank you again for the new version. rjfnkkar.gif

Thank You, Seerose. I hope the updated effect will be useful in Your future works.

Edited by ReMake
  • Upvote 2

I updated effect to version 1.3.

Я обновил эффект до версии 1.3.

I hope it's exactly what You said.

Надеюсь, это именно то, о чем вы говорили.

You even added a checkbox for this. Thanks.

midoras signature.gif