Feature Request - Auto-Finish option for tools.

Kittani

Is there a way we can get a checkbox next to the finish button so it will auto-finish after using the tool?  I tend to rapidly use the paint fill tool by changing colors then clicking the next fill area.  having to stop to hit enter every time is annoying.

It becomes second nature quite quickly.

Having a tool remain in an 'active' state allows you to alter the shape/color/parameters before committing the operation to the layer. Auto-finish would eliminate this option.

Is there a way we can get a checkbox next to the finish button so it will auto-finish after using the tool?  I tend to rapidly use the paint fill tool by changing colors then clicking the next fill area.  having to stop to hit enter every time is annoying.

I kinda like the idea of a check-box too. I realize the new way of how things function allows for things to have more customization flexibility, but sometimes this new way of how things work doesn't feel as simple. However, I wouldn't want to lose this new functionality either, so a check-box sounds nice.

I agree with wanting a check-box, because for me personally it would give me a faster work flow or a more simplified work flow, but it would still let me have the benefits of the new functionality when I want it.

However, even though I agree for the checkbox, there is a work around for the Fill Tool, it's called, a new habit.

For the Paint Bucket Fill Tool,

Instead of choosing a color, and then clicking an area, try making this new habit :

Click an area, choose a color. Click next area, choose a new color. Click next area, choose a color.

Setting your color before you click an area no longer matters. Simply clicking the area that you want to fill comes first, then change the color to what you want it to be while that fill is active. Then click the next area, regardless of what your color is, but if you want to change the color, change it after you have clicked on the area. You don't have to hit commit to finish a fill, you just have to click on a new area, and if you want a new color for your new area, then change the color after you have clicked the new area. When you are done with your sequence of fills and coloring, then you can hit commit, enter, or change tools. :D

Old Paint.NET -- Choose color, click area. Repeat.

New Paint.NET -- Click area, choose color. Repeat.

Again, this is a new habit, old habits are not easy to overcome though. ;)

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles
  • Upvote 1

I see what Ego is saying.  I guess for the direction the developers want to force the workflow into is the right way to do things.  I just will keep using the older pre-feature version I have and turn off automatic updates.  It's still a good program, I just make way too many mistakes now every time I forget to click finish and end up messing up what I had just done.

IF this was to become an option, I'd like to see it work this way:

When autofinish is on, drawing something adds 2 entries to the history so that if you really didn't want to finish the thing you just drew you could press Ctrl-Z to "unfinish" it and make adjustments before finishing it.

How cool would that be?

• Upvote 1

IF this was to become an option, I'd like to see it work this way:

When autofinish is on, drawing something adds 2 entries to the history so that if you really didn't want to finish the thing you just drew you could press Ctrl-Z to "unfinish" it and make adjustments before finishing it.

How cool would that be?

Very!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 2 years later...

Except Cc4, the "right way of doing things" doesn't apply here.  It's not wrong to want a tool to auto-Finish if it's otherwise more work.  For instance, your "new habit" workaround does not help when using the Shape tool.  I use the Shape tool over and over while cleaning up the background on music album covers I've downloaded.  I never need to stretch or rotate the shape after I draw it.  The way the program works now, if I forget to click off or click Finish each time, I end up rotating the last shape when trying to draw a new shape.  Then I have to Undo and begin again.  That's 2 or more steps for a single shape and thus a lot of carpal tunnel to draw 20 or 30 consecutive shapes.

An "Auto-Finish" option would be very welcome.

Thread has been silent for more than two years @PaddyMac. If you wish to restart this discussion please just start a new thread.  Thanks.

• Ego Eram Reputo locked this topic