won't print

DMdoc

When I click on "Print" a Windows warning box pops up: "paint.net   The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) library, "wiaaut.dll" is unavailable. Please read the Help file... for troubleshooting information. OK"  

This only occurs on one of my computers, a Dell desktop running Windows 7 Home Edition. I tried uninstalling a version of Paint.net when it first showed up, and reinstalled from a fresh download, but still there. I found the dll on my harddisk and put a copy in the C:\Paint-dot-NET folder, but that didn't help either. The problem has been there in several versions of Paint.net, and I keep hoping the next version will resolve it.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

29july2014: I've tried several ideas (listed in a comment below), to date unsuccessfully. I'm still open to further ideas...

Edited by DMdoc

Hi.

I don't think that "wiaaut.dll" belongs in your paint.net folder, I am almost sure it goes in to your Windows / system32 folder. I would not go messing around with things in there though without checking a windows help forum out. 

swIFX9v.png

Sounds like most likely someone who didn't know what the 'windows image acquisition service' was for disabled it. Restore its setting to automatic, and it can solve this error message (which might should be rewritten to mention this possibility).  It's also possible that your WIA is broken and every time the service tries to start, it fails. You might could detect this by manually starting the service and see if it fails. In that case your windows event viewer should contain some information about why its not functioning.

Have you tried the 'Repair' in PDN?  Go to your Paint.NET file folder and in there is a PdnRepair.exe file .... click on that.  Also, sometimes uninstalling PDN can mess up the installation of another download.  You can read all about it here.  I realise it may not be a PDN problem, but it's worth a try.

Good Luck :)

Edited by Pixey

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I appreciate the feedback; thanks. Here's what I've tried so far...

1) I had copied "wiaaut.dll" -- the original was still in my Windows / system32 folder.

2) WAIS was set on automatic. I restarted it just to be sure, and the issue persists

3) I tried PdnRepair.exe, no help.

4) I again uninstalled PDN (after checking that I had Microsoft net 4.5) and reinstalled from a fresh download of the PDN 4.0.3 version into a different folder in C:\   -- Issue still persists.

4) I also tried adding the files from Print It (Tools Effect)

Further suggestions would be appreciated......

BTW, my workaround is to save files from PDN on the hard disk & open and print from Paint... cumbersome but it works.

Edited by DMdoc

As Sasha has already mentioned the - wiaaut.dll - does not belong in the paint.net folder, it belongs in system32 for a reason, making copies of system .dll's or moving them around is not something I would be doing. If you still have the wiaaut.dll in the paint.net folder I suggest you remove it. You mention that you can print by using ms paint?   Then it is clear that the wiaaut.dll you have copied to paint.net folder is the problem and is conflicting with the other one.

ZXCBOoZ.png

mspaint doesnt seem to use WIA, so that isn't informative.

maybe running a regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\wiaaut.dll would help.

I'm not sure who installs wiaaut.dll, the internet seems kind of unclear on the subject.  perhaps yours has been overwritten by another program.  mine is 6.1.7600.16385

In your registry, you can check for this and make sure it's pointing at %SystemRoot%\System32\wiaaut.dll

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{850D1D11-70F3-4BE5-9A11-77AA6B2BB201}\InprocServer32

• 4 years later...

Ok i got it. WIA service was disabled. Its really strange that for printing used scanner service. Even strange coz it runs system image viewer for printing which works well with no WIA service enabled.

• toe_head2001 locked this topic