paint.net 4.0 release candidate build 5284

Rick Brewster

The penultimate build is here: the release candidate! The only changes that should occur between this build and the final release are the those related to the translations. In other words, the code is complete unless there's a Priority Defcon 0 Nuclear Holocaust type bug that's found (which I don't expect). I believe the final release will be sometime next week.

As usual, to install, you can either 1) use the built-in updater from a previous 4.0 build, or 2) use the built-in updater from v3.5.11 if you have "Also check for pre-release (beta) builds", or 3) download it directly at http://www.getpaint.net/files/zip/preview/paint.net.4.0.5284.41812.install.zip

Changes since the last beta build (5278):

• Pasting with the Text tool should no longer hide the move handle
  • The rotation anchor (Move, Shapes) is now less intrusive
  • Fixed focus rectangles in some controls that effects use (check boxes, radio buttons, sliders)
  • Fixed a layout issue with the ruler in some very specific scenarios
  • Hardware acceleration is now enabled by default for some Intel GPUs (e.g. Intel HD 4000 series)
Have fun with the final code over the weekend :)
  • Upvote 2

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I umm... an into a couple tiny things that probably aren't worth mentioning. Especially since it didn't occur to me copy the error message.But umm... sometimes when I close out Paint crashes when I close. I generally have a lot of different unsaved images at this time.

Second small thing is that the rectangle select stopped working. I would click and get no reaction to my click at all. Other tools worked, just the rectangle, circle and lasso selects wouldn't work. But closing out of that image and reopening it fixed it so small problem.

I can't do anything if you don't report bugs to me.

If it crashes then I can't do much without a crash log (good), or step-by-step instructions to reproduce the crash (better), or both (best).

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Top work. Installed and running sweet. Just need to get the updated packs of plugins and I'm good to go, great work Rick B)

BREtKQW.png

Bug when moving the selected area:

- Select area as shown in the screenshot

- Select the tool "Move Selected Pixels"

- Moved with the mouse so that the upper or lower part disappeared behind the canvas

- as a result disappears the upper right rectangle (if you move down) \ as a result disappears upper left rectangle (if you move to the right)

post-72283-0-36804900-1403381224_thumb.p

video - http://www.mediafire.com/download/p7c2nuvi0i1r20w/PN4RC5284.mkv

Edited by PaintNetRus

Bug when moving the selected area:

- Select area as shown in the screenshot

- Select the tool "Move Selected Pixels"

- Moved with the mouse so that the upper or lower part disappeared behind the canvas

- as a result disappears the upper right rectangle (if you move down) \ as a result disappears upper left rectangle (if you move to the right)

attachicon.gifPN4RC5284.png

video - http://www.mediafire.com/download/p7c2nuvi0i1r20w/PN4RC5284.mkv

Okay I have a fix for this. It was an error in a simple function who's job it was to trim items from a list. This will be fixed for the final release, but it doesn't seem severe enough to invalidate the release candidate (in other words, there isn't a need for another release candidate).

• Upvote 1

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Paint.net just locked up. I was saving a pretty big image (400 by 5,000) I saved it, saw something I missed, fixed that, saved it again, went to my browser while waiting for it to finish saving. And at first the saving bar didn't seem to move at all, I clicked it and suddenly it was done. I uploaded the image, I can confirm it did save then I went to do other things and paint.net made that 'dinging' sound it does when you try to mess with it while it has a window of some kind up. Though there is no window but I noticed the floppy disk symbol is on the paint.net image on the toolbar. I had to end paint.net from the task manager. I got a warning saying "Cannot end because its waiting on a response from me."

I hope I was detailed enough.

Found some new entries under Plugin Errors in this build.

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.Blurs.dll

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.ColorAccent.dll

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.DropShadow.dll

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.Duotones.dll

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.FadeEdge.dll

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.Gradient.dll

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.Grid.dll

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.Monochromes.dll

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.ObjectAlign.dll

I like it so far but I am fighting muscle memory now that the image thumbnails have been moved to the left to make room for the little icons on the far right. I also miss the two arrors in the History window to completely undo all the steps or redo them. I occasionally open an image an decide I don't like any of the changes I have made and want to undo them all. The dynamic way I can change the tolerance of the Magic Wand is a dream come true and something I have always wanted.

Found some new entries under Plugin Errors in this build.

They are all working here in 5284. i.e DropShadow 3.8. Maybe add an error log.

midoras signature.gif

They appear in the Plugin Errors dialog. No crash log as they have been blocked from loading. I think.

They appear in the Plugin Errors dialog. No crash log as they have been blocked from loading. I think.

If you select one of the dll entries then you will get detailed error in the area below which you can copy paste.

Maybe Rick should autoselect the first entry of the dll list. so that users know that there is additional info.

midoras signature.gif

@Drydareelin: I am not able to find a way to do this either. RIght clicking or changing the first and second color does nothing :(

I have some feedback regarding the way you draw your toolbar items: You draw every dropdown button as if it was a splitbutton. This is confusing. One only opens a dropdown menu while the other also cycles through its items depending on where exactly you click it. But the way you draw both buttons doesn't indicate this difference at all. There should be no seperator on the normal dropdown button, only on the splitbutton:

post-134676-0-86433000-1403528115_thumb.

And then I have a personal problem that I think not many have: On my laptop, which probably has a bad IPS display, it's super easy to lose the selection cursor (cross) out of sight. When I move it at a certain speed over the grey background surrounding the image or over the checkerboard background, it seems to disappear completely and makes for some funny but annoying moments. Because I have no mouse connected to my laptop but only the touchpad it's important to see visually where the cursor is, you don't feel it in your hand like when you're holding a mouse :/

I realize that you won't change the cursor because one guy has a bad lenovo ips display, but can you load the cursors at startup from the paint.net directory? That would help a lot if I could edit the .cur files to find a way that works better for me.

Edited by pagefault

How would I perform an inverted transparent gradient?

As stated here and here it's either a bug or just works differently to 3.11.

Thanks!

I really miss the right clicking functions for the gradients too, however, pdnnoob responded for making radial gradients with transparency and then I enhanced off of what they said.

pdnnoob:

To change to transparent to opaque, set your primary and secondary colors to transparent.

Me:

Ok, so... if I'm understanding correctly, for the radial gradient,

Setting it to transparency mode with solid primary/secondary colors, makes it so the center is solid, right?

While setting it to transparency mode, but changing the primary/secondary colors to Opacity Alpha 0, makes it so the center is transparent, is that correct?

It seems a bit complicated vs just right clicking and left clicking. Oh well, at least we do still have ways to have both kinds of transparent radial gradients, which is good to know. :)

Here is an image example, I hope it makes sense :

Left of Image : Solid Primary/Secondary Colors

Right of Image : Alpha 0 Primary/Secondary Colors

TransparentGradient_zpse007df4a.jpg

You can also try using vignette plugins and change their colors. It looks like there are at least four to choose from in the Plugin Index.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles