Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BoltBait

BoltBait's Plugin Pack for v4.0+ Updated February 5, 2015

82 posts in this topic

New updates for the BoltBait plugin pack for paint.net 4.0+

New effects:

Bevel Object - This effect allows you to make objects 3D. Works great with text! This is similar to my Bevel Selection plugin, except for objects this time. Now there is no need to select the text in order to bevel it! Just be sure the text is on it's own layer.

Some people like to work with selections and some people like to work with objects... so I'm glad to finally make bevel available to people who like objects.

Object Inner Shadow - Renders a shadow on objects so they look like they have been cut out.

Selection Inner Shadow - Renders a shadow on the inside of a selection so it looks like it has been cut out.

Changes:

I have combined a few of my "object" effects into a single dll called ObjectTools.dll. This is to mimic the SelectionTools.dll that was already in the plugin pack.

Now, if you still have the following effect dll's installed, you can delete them:
:Cancel:Outline.dll - Now contained in ObjectTools.dll in this package. *NEW*
:Cancel:InnerShadow.dll - Now contained in ObjectTools.dll in this package. *NEW*
:Cancel:ObjectFeather.dll - Now contained in ObjectTools.dll in this package. *NEW*

If you don't delete these obsolete plugin files, you'll see duplicates in your effects menu.

Thanks Boltbait. I've already made good use of the new Inner Shadow and Selection plugins. Now there is another new one to look forward to. Nice one!

Thanks for the awesome plugins, and for your efforts.  :beer:   :pizza:

Class new updates and new plugin's BoltBait. Many thanks B)

Thank you all for the kind words. :)

And, a special "thanks" to those who tested these effects before I released them and gave me valuable feedback: Ego Eram Reputo, Red ochre, TechnoRobbo, Cc4FuzzyHuggles, and Eli.

I'm really confused ........... I had your beta inner shadow plugin, but I've just now tried to update to the newer one, with colors, and I can't find it in your Plugin pack.  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks in advance.  (Perhaps I'm having a blonde moment ;) )

Cdb30js.png

Edited by Pixey

It is now located inside of the file ObjectTools.dll

You'll need to delete a few dll files after you install the new pack.  This is detailed in the announcement message.

Many thanks @BoltBait - definitely a blonde moment :mrred: .

And ......... many, many thanks for this Plugin which is absolutley great.

thumbsup.gif  

Edited by Pixey

Has Bolt come up with plugin that's compatible with the latest version (4.0.5)?

Most plugins that work for 4.0 will work for 4.0 and higher. So yes, BoltBait's plugin pack works for 4.0.5.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Thread title is BoltBait's Plugin Pack for v4.0 so yes these are all compatible with paint.net 4.0+.

Are you sure v4.0 works on PN 4.0.5? I can't get it to plug in.

Looking for an update (or a way to get my 3.5 back), thank you, Dennis

Hi DennisB, have a look at   this thread please. Have you installed them correctly? There are quite specific instruction there :D Good luck & please let us know what is happening so we can get up up & running again.

My image I made:

JFagYE.png

I used:

Outline Object by pyrochild (because I downloaded the pack for the fire effect, so I downloaded it after I used the one by pyro)

Flames by BoltBait

Font is Cheap Fire

Edited by Matt421421

I'm working on the next version of my plugin pack (to support the next version of paint.net which will be coming out soon).

I'm thinking of dropping Gaussian Blur+ from my pack.

Would anyone be upset?

I'm only thinking of dropping it because I never use it myself. I use all my own plugins... except this one.

If it were up to me, I'd say keep it, but have individual check boxes for each channel. On occasion, I've wanted to blur everything except alpha.

Actually I found it to be invaluable for making space images, like in this tutorial and regular Blur would not render the same effect, but ........ I rarely make space scapes, so perhaps @Dryda will put-in his two cents here as well :blog:

Look forward to the new pack @BB and thank you.

lol-sign.gif  

If it were up to me, I'd say keep it, but have individual check boxes for each channel. On occasion, I've wanted to blur everything except alpha.

I guess I could replace it with this:

<snip--see msg below> 

Please test and let me know if it is worth keeping.

I'm working on the next version of my plugin pack (to support the next version of paint.net which will be coming out soon).

I'm thinking of dropping Gaussian Blur+ from my pack.

Would anyone be upset?

I'm only thinking of dropping it because I never use it myself. I use all my own plugins... except this one.

I have only used it occasionally, so would not really miss it. I look forward to your new pack though ;)

Edited by DrewDale

That's certainly what I had in mind, and I think that might be a useful plugin, but I must say, it often produces very counter-intuitive results. Quite a while ago, I wrote an alpha-preserving blur that worked in the same manner. I assumed the idea could be generalized to the other channels, but now I realize that in this regard, alpha is fundamentally different from the color channels.

The current Gaussian+ has a "Use most opaque alpha feature." I never figured out exactly what it's for, but perhaps someone will miss it.

EDIT: Though the results are not what might be expected, They're no more unexpected than the results produced by the current version when a single color and alpha are selected. So I think the proposed checkbox version is better.

Edited by MJW

The current Gaussian+ has a "Use most opaque alpha feature." I never figured out exactly what it's for, but perhaps someone will miss it.

Gah! Forgot that box.

Fixed:

// Name: Gaussian Blur+
// Submenu: Blurs
// Author: BoltBait
// Title: Gaussian Blur+ v4.1
// Desc: Blur individual channels
// Keywords: blur|gaussian|alpha
// URL: http://BoltBait.com/pdn
#region UICode
int Amount1 = 2; // [0,100] Radius
bool Amount2 = true; // [0,1] Red
bool Amount3 = true; // [0,1] Green
bool Amount4 = true; // [0,1] Blue
bool Amount5 = true; // [0,1] Alpha
bool Amount6 = false; // [0,1] Use most opaque alpha
BinaryPixelOp Amount7 = LayerBlendModeUtil.CreateCompositionOp(LayerBlendMode.Normal); // Blending Mode
#endregion

// Here is the main render loop function
unsafe void Render(Surface dst, Surface src, Rectangle rect)
{
    // Setup for calling the Gaussian Blur effect
    GaussianBlurEffect blurEffect = new GaussianBlurEffect();
    PropertyCollection blurProps = blurEffect.CreatePropertyCollection();
    PropertyBasedEffectConfigToken BlurParameters = new PropertyBasedEffectConfigToken(blurProps);
    BlurParameters.SetPropertyValue(GaussianBlurEffect.PropertyNames.Radius, Amount1);
    blurEffect.SetRenderInfo(BlurParameters, new RenderArgs(dst), new RenderArgs(src));
    // Call the Gaussian Blur function
    blurEffect.Render(new Rectangle[1] {rect},0,1);

// Now in the main render loop, the dst canvas has a blurred version of the src canvas
    for (int y = rect.Top; y < rect.Bottom; y++)
    {
        if (IsCancelRequested) return;
        ColorBgra* srcPtr = src.GetPointAddressUnchecked(rect.Left, y);
        ColorBgra* dstPtr = dst.GetPointAddressUnchecked(rect.Left, y);
        for (int x = rect.Left; x < rect.Right; x++)
        {
            ColorBgra CurrentPixel = *dstPtr;
            ColorBgra SourcePixel = *srcPtr;

if (!Amount2) CurrentPixel.R = SourcePixel.R;
            if (!Amount3) CurrentPixel.G = SourcePixel.G;
            if (!Amount4) CurrentPixel.B = SourcePixel.B;
            if (!Amount5) CurrentPixel.A = SourcePixel.A;
            if (Amount6) CurrentPixel.A = Math.Max(CurrentPixel.A,SourcePixel.A);

CurrentPixel = Amount7.Apply(*srcPtr, CurrentPixel);

*dstPtr = CurrentPixel;
            srcPtr++;
            dstPtr++;
        }
    }
}

I'm still not convinced I should include this plugin in my next pack.

I look forward to your new pack

Thanks! I think you're gonna like it. I really worked hard on it.

The plugin seems to work well. You'll have to decide whether you think it's worthwhile enough to keep in your pack. I think some of the effects it can produce with blending modes are kind of interesting. The same effects could be produced by copying the image to another layer and setting the blend mode, though it wouldn't be as easy to play with the interaction of blending modes and radius. Although I don't recall offhand how I used my alpha-preserving blur plugin, I know I've used it more than once. That's something non-plugin writers would have to spend some effort to duplicate. The "Use most opaque alpha" feature would be difficult to do without a special plugin.

If I'd written the plugin, I'd think it was useful enough to publish. Of course, the issue is a little different when the users can decide individually whether they want a particular plugin. If you don't include in your pack, at least anyone who really wants it can download the source and build it with CodeLab. I intend to keep around the version I built. Perhaps you could post the icon. I'm obsessed with having icons for every plugin.

Edited by MJW