Mini-tuts

david.atwell

Mini post-46346-0-59438600-1400170406_thumb.jTuts

Ever seen something that a user posted in reply to another user's question - something that looked awesome, but really wasn't enough for a full tutorial?  Well, every post in this thread will be one of those!  Moderators (mostly me, probably) will be copying posts from other threads to this one; if you'd like to recommend one, or if you have questions about one of the Mini-tuts, please head over to the Mini-tuts Discussion Thread here; I'm leaving this thread locked since each mini-tut will take its own post.

Hopefully, this will help encourage people to post good, solid, short answers and make this a more helpful community.  Not that we aren't already; but it never hurts to encourage it, does it?

Enjoy!

Table of Contents:

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Mini-Tut #1

Creating a Circular Checkerboard Frame
by Spectre, in response to Ogadai

Original thread: Help with borders
Original post: 408433

Please make sure to follow the red guidelines in order to have a result that resembles this:

Checkerframe.png

As Welsh mentioned, you will need the following plugins:

-Grid/Checkerboard Maker
-Polar Transformation

1) Open a new worksheet, it MUST be square and also work with multiples of 3 which is the difference with how welsh proceeded and is the foundation to obtaining evenly spaced and proportioned squares in your frame (size example: 300x300, 600x600, 900x900)

2) Start by giving your background a color that will allow your frame to stand out, then create a New Layer (you will be working entirely this created layer and never the background one)

3) Use the Grid/Checkerboard Maker plugin (select the primary and secondary colors you want for your frame before running it)

• Click Mode Checker Board
  • Unclick the "Linked with Horizontal" checkbox
  • Enter the "Horizontal AND Vertical Grid Step" values. The proportions MUST BE 1 (horizontally) by 3 (vertically). BOTH VALUES MUST also be multiples that work with you canvas size. (i.e. for a 600x600 canvas the rectangle could be 10x30, 20x60, 40x120 etc) In the supplied image I used a 600x600 canvas with a 10 Horizontal by 30 Vertical value.
**If done correctly your checkerboard should fit perfectly in your canvas size.

4) Using the Rectangle Select tool select the TWO middle rows. Then Invert Selection (Ctrl+I) and hit Delete to keep nothing but the two middle rows.

(Note: If you can't properly select the needed rows refine your selection size by using the Move Selection tool and by using the nubs along with the arrow keys until your covering the exact size necessary)

5) Run the Polar Transformation plugin with "Transform Rectangular to Polar" checked.

Voilà!

All the credit really goes to Welsh for establishing what I think is the best and easiest procedure. I just crunched the numbers to get results more similar to what I believe you had in mind

Cheers B)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Mini-Tut #2

Quick TRON Lines on an Image

by LFC4EVER, in response to oma

Original thread: Image Umbrella: Image Modification/Manipulation, Page 23

Original post: 272180 and 273186

Suggested by doughty

Final Product:

lightraceaudir8.png.340cb4634e7889a68248e6b50111d0a8.png

On 9/6/2009 at 2:27 PM, LFC4EVER said:
  • Duplicate the image 4 times.
  • Run edge detect on one duplicate at 0.00.
  • Run edge detect on another at 90.00.
  • Run it again on another at 180.00.
  • Run it again on the last duplicate at -90.00.
  • Set the blend mode of the top 3 duplicates to screen and merge together to create a multicoloured light trace effect.
  • De-saturate the light trace.
  • Run curves+ to create a more refined light trace.
  • To make it glow i just ran glow and added colour. :)
Edited by david.atwell
Reformatted to ordered list. Replaced Photobucket image.
  • Upvote 1

Mini-Tut #3

Silhouettes and Quick Image Cut-Out

by Cc4FuzzyHuggles, in response to Kelynn1985

Original thread: Can someone turn these pics into a Silhouette for me?

Original post: 409078

On 5/8/2014 at 7:48 PM, Cc4FuzzyHuggles said:

Hello. :)

You will want to cut the kids out from the background, unfortunately those shadows could prove to make that difficult. Pictures with a well defined and very plain background would make the processes easier.

Either way, with whatever images you choose, there are lots of ways to separate objects out from their backgrounds.

And I will show you how....

First, you will need to know Paint.net's User Interface http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/MainWindow.html and Layers http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/LayersWindow.html to cut out your object.

Now, here are several ways to cut out objects:

* Erasing to Cut Out Objects

You can use the eraser tool (which is improved in paint.net 4.0) or you can erase with other tools, such as the paint brush & line/curve tools. Change the tool's blending mode from “normal” to “overwrite” (see toolbar), and have your color for coloring with set to “Opacity – Alpha 0" (see color window).

CutOutimagesExamples_ErasingWithPaintBru

* Outlining To Cut Out Objects

You can trace/outline an image to cut it out. See this tutorial as an example : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/13796-cutting-out-images/

However, for your image, you may want to trace/outline in a way that works best for your photos.

In this picture, I tried to use an easy to see color, lowered my outline layer's opacity, and traced along the edge. If I finished my outline, I would select the outside of it, and then invert the selection (ctrl + i), copy (ctrl +c) the object, add a new layer, paste (crtl + v) the object.

CutOutimagesExamplesOutlineTrace_zps5d38 

* Grim Color Reaper Plugin

You can use the Grim Color Reaper plugin (GCR plugin) to remove colors (in your case, the gray background). The plugin : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/15595-grim-color-reaper-plugin/

For your image, I selected the outside of the hair, zoomed in really close, used the Color Picker tool to pick the color I wanted removed, then I zoomed out a little, and ran the GCR plugin. I had “What Color” set to “Primary Color” and I adjusted the "Color Tolerance."

CutOutimagesExamples_UsingaSelectionampG 

* Cut Color Plugin

Similar to Grim Color Reaper, this plugin helps to remove colors. The Plugin : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/18769-cut-color-effect/

This plugin uses your primary color as it's color sample, but a bonus feature is you can also tweak the color by using it's own built-in color wheel/sliders (note : clicking the reset button puts the color sample back to your primary color).

For your image, I selected the outside of the hair and ran the plugin. I set "Type of Effect" to "Remove Color as the Background", then I tried to match the plugin's color sample to the gray that I wanted removed, and I adjusted the "Tolerance in Color".

CutOutimagesExamples_UsingaSelectionampC

Depending on the picture, you might prefer the results of one plugin over the other. And, if after using GCR or Cut Color there are areas that look like they still have a faint transparent color, simply using the eraser tool for touch-ups should work.

* TR's Alpha Cutter Plugin

This is a plugin made to cut-out objects, but it takes some practice to use. TR's Alpha Cutter : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/26966-trs-alpha-cutter-v304-april-7th-2014/

Once your image is cut-out, select everything but the ends of the hair, and run these edge smoothing plugins :

First Basic Antialias. – The Plugin http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/7644-basic-antialias-version-11-bug-fixed-january-14-2008/

Then Feather with radius set to 3 (not the old feather). – The Plugin http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/2140-feather-plugin-now-with-source/

Last AA's Assistant with default settings. Optional, run it twice. – The plugin is part of this pack http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=16643

Here is an example picture of the selection :

CutOutimagesExamples_Selecteverythingbut

This is My Cut Out Result

I mostly Erased to cut out this object (your cute baby), but I used the GCR plugin for around the hair. I then smoothed the edges as suggested above. This is the Result and I saved it as a png with a transparent background.

BabyCut-OutFromBackgroundExamplePNG_zps9 

To make the cut out object a solid black shape...

Go to Menu Bar > Hue/Saturation > And lower the lightness all the way to -100.

CutOutimagesExamples_HueSaturationBlackS 

If the edges of the hair don't look as smooth as you'd like, make a selection around the hair, then go to Menu Bar > Blurs > Smooth. After smoothing, you will notice a little quality loss, to get back some quality, go to Menu Bar > Photo > Sharpen. If you want the rest of the Black shape to be a little smoother too, invert the selection (ctrl + i), and run one of the smoothing plugins again. I ran feather, radius set to 1.

Black Shape End Result

BabyCut-OutFromBackgroundBlackShapeExamp 

Mini-Tut #4

Polystyrene (Styrofoam) Texture
by yellowman, in response to mottoman

Original thread: Assistance with polystyrene texture.
Original post: 409344 and 409363

texture23.jpg

But this was my long method:

You need Splinter plugin:
http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/18811-ed-harvey-effects-v-35-2012-02-13/

1- Cloud default
2- Crystalize 12
3- Outline default (Effect > Stylize > Outline)
4- Auto Level several times till you see all black lines clearly
5- Gaussian Blue default
6- Splinter Blur (Splinters= 50, Distance= 3, Mode=Lighten)
7- Duplicate layer, Zoom it in to Double size the cells (or as taste), and set the blend mode to Multiply
8- Adjustment > Brightness= -100, Contrast= -50
9- Flatten Image and run Emboss with desired Angle (Effect > Stylize > Emboss)

Good Luck :)

Edited by david.atwell
Combined posts.
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Mini-Tut # 5

Wallpaper Pattern

by Riddley, in response to HELEN

Original thread: Riddley Gallery

Original post: 410070 and 410092

On 5/30/2014 at 9:34 AM, Riddley said:

A wallpaper-esque pattern I made for the back of my previous signature.

Classy_zpsa051d375.png.c52f6adab56bb703af25f895c7db4e98.png

Here's a hint:

ClassyExplained_zpsf1d884cc.png.d7edb6c9a1f70ebc5bbf092bc63cc271.png

Edited by david.atwell
Combined posts. Replaced Photobucket images.

Mini-Tut #6

Chilly Raised Text

by Pixey, in response to Bandage 23

Original thread: How can I make My Penguin App Logo in Paint.Net?

Original post: 410338

On 6/4/2014 at 7:51 AM, Pixey said:

Here is how I made an attempt at your text.

AbdQGjB.png

1. Make your text and duplicate x 3.

2. On Layer 3 add a dark drop shadow - twice - then Feather (+ True feather) and then AA's Assistant.

3. On Layer 2 Outline Object at #10 then use Outlinie Object in Blue and Feather and AA's

4. On Layer 1 move this to the top of the Layers and use the Selection Tool to select all the letter - then make a New Layer and use Gradient Fill with white and 

light blue and lower the opacity.

5. Go to layer 2 and use Drop Shadow - play with offset X & Y and then finally use AA's Assistant and Flatten.

z6zlK5J.png 

I hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

Mini-Tut #7

"Billboarding" One Image onto Another

by Pixey, in response to Rickenbacker

Original thread: How would I change an image?

Original post: 410974

On 6/13/2014 at 3:46 AM, Pixey said:

1. Open paint.NET and upload your picture.

2. Duplicate the picture (only once – unlike what I did in the image.

3. Use the Lasso to cut out the hands on one image. Hold down Ctrl to cut out both at the same time. Go to Edit and Cut.

4. Make a new layer and Paste the hands into this layer. Delete the image you took the hands from.

MoRtCyM.png 

5. Import the new image (I used a hamburger) and use the Rectangle Tool to turn and place the image where you want it.

6. Make a new layer and with the Line Tool make a curved line for the angle of the right side of where the photo curves in Michelle’s image.

7. With the Magic wand tool click on the right side of the line so that is becomes ‘active’, then switch to the hamburger layer and hit delete on your computer. This will chop the unwanted area from the hamburger picture. Use Feather and AA’s Assistant on the hamburger layer. Then delete the line layer, or uncheck the layer.

kuDyO1F.png

8. Then move the HANDS layer above the hamburger and use Feather and AA’s again.

CqhJcet.png 

Finally you can go to Image and Flatten and then use the rectangle tool to cut the picture, save to .png or .jpeg and end up with this:

sJW0aNC.png 

• 1 month later...

Mini-Tut #8

Transparent Layer "Windows"

by Cc4FuzzyHuggles, in response to WayMoreConfused

Original thread: How do I make a background only visible through a certain part of a photo?

Original post: 413094

On 7/11/2014 at 6:36 PM, Cc4FuzzyHuggles said:

This is pretty much the same as what Barbieq said.

It sounds like you will want to work with several layers. So, try this :

1st Layer/Bottom Layer -- Make Blue

2nd Layer /Middle Layer -- Your Picture's layer

3rd Layer/Top Layer -- Duplicate your picture and have it be your top layer

Make your top layer invisible for now. (It's only there for referencing and in case of mistakes.)

Next, on the middle layer, make holes in it so that the blue layer shows through. To do this, you can either use a selection tool and delete areas, OR you can erase areas with tools. For erasing, you can use the eraser tool, or you can use other tools with their blending mode set to "Overwrite" and your primary color set to "Opacity - Alpha 0".

Sample Images :

Use Three Layers

1-LayersSampleBlueAndHoles_zps993377cb.jpg.c8900364c277a443fd2465cc0c79919c.jpg

Optional, erase using overwrite blending mode and Opacity - Alpha set to 0.

2-Overwrite_OpacityAlpha0_zps1d72d2b2.jpg.289709d31ac5f4168bf9017374470089.jpg

Here are different ways to make holes in an image. The Checkered squares represent transparency.

3-OverwriteAlpha0AndSelectDeleteSized_zps9de507f4.jpg.8cb3acadc6bf435d03b550e29c962f7a.jpg

----------------------------------------------------

For text, try exploring text effect tutorials, and see if any teach you techniques that do what you're looking for.

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/forum/23-text-effects/

Have Fun, and good luck getting creative now. ;)

Edited by david.atwell
Replaced Photobucket images.

Mini-Tut #9

Digitally Inking a Pencil Drawing

by Humility, in response to Humility

Original thread: Help compensating for my new scanner's lack of auto cleanup.

Original post: 412702

On 7/7/2014 at 4:16 PM, Humility said:

Before: Example0.jpg.be152e6b99ce41b331aa26b264bc8d8a.jpg

After:Example1-1.jpg.8d9805db7a66ac66e101048dd469f053.jpg

As you can see the starting image is very messy with bleed through and smudges and stuff that doesn'r actually exist but is scanned in anyway.

Anyway my steps are

1. Click black and white.

2. Probably not relevant but for some reason the scanner causes the left edge of my paper to be messier then the rest. So before I can do anything else I have to select that area and lighten it with the 'curves' adjustment. Because its important that the entire image be at the same level of messiness.

3. Then I click brightness contrast, bring contrast all the way to the right, brightness to the left. Though sometimes i an image is extra bad I have to make brightness a little less to the left.

4. I then use oil painting with brush size and coarseness at minimal. This removes tiny specks and closes tiny gaps in the lines. Most of them at least.  Still far better then anything else I've tried.

Edited by david.atwell
Moved title to header, replaced Photobucket images

• 1 year later...

Mini-Tut #10

Vintage Glittery Tulip
by Pixey, in response to kml

Original thread: Tutorial request Vintage images
Original post: 512298

Gosh - I can relate to those feelings when I first began to use this program.  I wanted to do so much and really became very frustrated. 
Herewith a quick tutorial which I hope will be of help. 

1.  Using the Line/Curve tool draw the flower.  Make sure all the lines are 'connected' so
      you can use the Magic wand to 'select' the areas of the flower later in order to color the stalk and petals.

TvP1aLo.png

2.  On a New Layer use the Line/Curve tool (#2 brush strength) draw the flower outline,
     then use the magic wand to 'select it' and fill it with the bucket tool.  Do the same for the stalk and fill it with the same green you used
     to draw the outlines.

N8iXfmk.png

3.  When you fill the flower head and stalk with the paint bucket, the color will not
      meet the lines.  Now you must duplicate and merge down each layer until the color looks good.

l1uyvQh.png

4.  Gaussian Blur both the stalk and the flower head  

5.  You can also adjust the strength of the color you have made thus far, by lowering the opacity in the layers window.

N0juPgu.png

6.  With the magic wand 'select' the flower head and make a New Layer to add contrast/highlights and then Gaussian Blur.

QYkCdhR.png

7.  Make a new layer and add lines to give some depth.  Gaussian Blur.

E2ERMn5.png

8.  Use the Lasso Select to make a selection of one of the petals and with white make small dots in the area - then use Frosted Glass
      to make the glitter.

5IjyYNi.png

9.   Use AA's Assistant on both the flower and the stalk.

10.  Select the flower head with the magic wand and make a New Layer above it.  With a large size brush add another pink
       color just around the base of the flower and then Gaussian Blur.  Change the layer mode to something like Color Burn.

nicQoxw.png

11.  Once satisfied you can then flatten the whole image.  It's always wise to keep your work in .pdn as well, so that you can return to it
       and make changes if needed.

Mini-Tut #11

Changing the Color of One Item in a Photo
by TechnoRobbo, in response to scoostraw

Original thread: Help Please Changing Colors Of Clothing
Original post: 414956

Here's a technique I developed to choose colors for the outside of our home.

•  
  • Use Magic wand and other selection tools to select the clothes to be recolored
  • copy clothes to a new top layer.
  • make top layer B&W
  • use Curves in adjustment menu to change contrast towards white but make it look natural
  • select empty part of top layer and invert selection - (don't forget to pick replace or you'll look like an idiot if you make a video)
  • click on image (original) layer and delete clothes by cutting or pressing delete
  • change top layer blend mode to multiply!!!!
  • create a new layer bottom layer and use the Paint Bucket to paint it the new color
This technique works with clothed people, naked people, planes, trains, automobiles, and the occasional exterior of a house.
BTW - we painted the house white.  :roll:

image from wikimedia public domain license

Mini-Tut #12

Clear Text Overlay
by MJW, in response to Mac123

Original thread: Text
Original post: 426406

On 5/11/2015 at 4:56 PM, MJW said:
  1. Start with the image you want to use.
  2. Add an new layer (name it Text). (It will currently be the topmost layer.)
  3. Set the Primary Color to white.  (If the Primary and Secondary colors are currently black and white, just switch them.)
  4. Using the Text tool, type in the desired text. (It will be white on a transparent background.)
  5. Duplicate the Text layer (name the new layer Shadow). (The Shadow layer will now be the topmost layer.)
  6. Set the Primary Color to black.
  7. Run the Drop Shadow plugin on the Shadow layer.
  8. Set the Blend Mode of the Shadow layer to one of the darkening Modes, such as Darken or Color Burn. (Darken in my example.)
  9. Adjust the Shadow layer Opacity to give the best look (214 in my example).
  10. Set the Blend Mode of the Text layer to one of the lightening modes, such as Lighten or Color Dodge. (Color Dodge in my example.)
  11. Adjust the Text layer Opacity to give the best look (60 in my example).
  12. You can then Flatten the image.

For the Drop Shadow, I used an X and Y offset of 2, a Widening Radius of 1, a Blur Radius of 3. The values will depend on the image size and the desired effect.
Make sure the "Keep original image" option is selected.

The order of the steps can be changed. You might want to add the drop shadow last so its effect can be more clearly seen and adjusted. You can also use the Drop Shadow's Shadow Opacity control instead of changing the Shadow layer's Opacity, though it gives a bit less flexibility.

Example:
ClearText_zpsbywn1aji.png.95baf664b1cdebc40f52214c0d027127.png

Edited by david.atwell

Mini-Tut #13

Clean Cutouts

by Cc4FuzzyHuggles, in response to Carrito

Original thread: Change the background step by step to a portrait

Original post: 434564

How to change the background of a portrait?

Add a Layer.

1) Add a new layer above your image's layer. This will be your outline layer.

Look at this picture's layer window. It shows you the background layer is your image layer, it shows you a new layer has been added above the background layer, and that the added layer is the outline layer. While tracing, the outline layer is the active layer.

http://img110.xooimage.com/files/4/4/5/hairline-01-4d7601a.png

2) Trace your subject. How to trace?

3) Be sure you are tracing on the correct layer, your outline layer.

In this screen capture, it looks like the tracing might have accidentally been done on the wrong layer. (Look at the layers window. The outline layer is not the active layer.)

http://www.subirimagenes.com/imagedata.php?url=http://s2.subirimagenes.com/privadas/2338848asus-18112015-1622.png

In one of the attempts to make a selection, it looks like the magic wand was also used on the wrong layer. (Again, look at the layers window. The outline layer is not the active layer. When you get to the magic wand step, you need to use the wand on the outline layer.)

http://oi68.tinypic.com/2gydjjr.jpg

It is very important to make sure you are on the correct layer while trying to do the steps of removing a background.

4) Continuing with how to trace...

-- You can use the paintbrush tool for freehand tracing, or use the line/curve :LineTool: tool as an alternative tool if you aren't very good at freehand tracing.

-- Then Pick a color.

-- Then start tracing.

http://img110.xooimage.com/files/2/f/d/hairline-tracing-4d7a3a3.png

5) When you trace, trace on the inside of your subject.

http://img110.xooimage.com/files/4/4/8/hairline-04-4d7ba9e.png

6) Use a variety of brush widths.

This picture wasn't originally used to demonstrate outlining, so ignore the removed background and which layer is the active layer, the outline is still on the outline layer and the outline layer should be your active layer when you are tracing.

Anyways, my point here is I want you to look at the outline. An outline doesn't need to be super small or thin, it can be almost any width. Just make sure you keep your outline on the inside of your subject. In this picture a variety of brush widths were used and the subject was painted over. The outline layer's opacity was also lowered a little, so that the subject, and where to trace and paint, were easier to see. (To lower the outline layer's opacity, double click the outline layer to open it's layer properties.)

http://s5.postimg.org/ns7dp405z/0294948b_f976_47a5_9eaf_c07b1fb3f5a6_zpsmbsyu2r3.jpg

7) Finish outlining your subject. Be sure it is a completed outline, no gaps or thin spots.

8) Make a selection.

9) To make a selection, first choose the Magic Wand tool :MagicWandTool: .

10) Lower the Magic Wand tool's tolerance.

11) Be sure you are on the outline layer, then click on the outside of the outline.

12) If your outline doesn't protect your subject, and things you don't want selected become selected, then try these ideas :

Try lowing the tolerance of the magic wand, then try selecting again, and see if that helps. (try a tolerance anywhere from 0 to 15)

If you still have an issue, your outline might have a gap or thin spot somewhere.

To find the gap or thin spot,

-- Temporarily add a new layer below your outline layer.

-- Fill the new layer with a color that helps your outline be easy to see.

-- Then zoom in super close and look around your outline to see where it might not be connected or might be too thin. (note: Sometimes outlines aren't finished near the edges of the canvas.)

-- Fix your outline in any potentially poorly outlined areas. (when you fix your outline, be sure you are on your outline layer)

13) Once you have a successful selection, keep your selection on, and then click on the image layer.

14) You can remove the background by either simply hitting delete on your keyboard (this will cut off some details like hair), or you can use a plugin that removes color (this is a good idea for subjects with hair or fur).

15) For this particular subject, the Replace Colors plugin was used.

For most color replacing plugins, you can use the color picker tool to first pick the color you want removed, and then run the plugin.

This is a quick and rough example of removing the background with the Replace Colors plugin. Look at the settings to see what was adjusted.

The "Effected Color" was a shade of black.

The "New Color Transparency" is set to 255.

The "tolerance" is set to 23.

Person_Subject_Replace_Color_Plugin800.j

Larger version of the image :

http://s5.postimg.org/524dbdwwn/Person_Subject_Replace_Color_Plugin.jpg

16) If the plugin doesn't remove everything, you can use the color picker tool again on the leftover spots, then run the plugin again. (reset the "effected color" by clicking the blue arrow button.)

17) If there are still some spots of the background, use the eraser tool :EraserTool:  to erase and clean up any remaining background that the plugin didn't manage to remove.

18) After you remove the background, you can deselect and try running the feather plugin to soften the edges of the subject.

Congratulations! You have removed the background from your image and cut out your subject. :)

19) Add a new background.

Add a new layer under your subject's layer, and insert your new background.

Your layers would be like this:

Outline Layer.

Subject Layer.

Background Image Layer.

I'm not able to give screen captures of adding a new background at this time. If someone else would like to finish things off by going into details about adding a new background, then that would be nice.

20) Turn off the layers you don't want or need. And then save your image. Save as a pdn to keep your layers, then save again as a png.

EDIT...

For anyone else who reads this, alternatives to step 19 for different ways to add a new background, can be viewed in these posts :

-- http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/32538-change-the-background-step-by-step-to-a-portrait/?p=434024

-- http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/32538-change-the-background-step-by-step-to-a-portrait/?p=434032

• Upvote 1

Mini-Tut #14

Star Wars Hologram Effect
by MJW, in response to PhantomFury

Original thread: Star Wars Hologram Filter
Original post: 512506

On 2/18/2016 at 0:32 AM, MJW said:

End result:
StarWarsHologram_zpsihfccu0p.png.b3b5228be22e077aa3bf20a7e249648e.png

1. To get the lines, I used Ed Harvey's Stylize>Halftone plugin with the following settings:

• Shape set to Line Centered
  • Size set to 4
  • Angle set to 0
  • Contrast and Brightness adjusted to get a relative clear, detailed image
2. I then applied a Gaussian Blur with a radius of 1
3. I followed this with a Photo>Glow.

The color's overly blue, but I'll explain the basic idea anyway.
1. After erasing the photo's background, I duplicated the image.
2. On the top layer, I used the Halftone and Gaussian Blur method just described, with the Secondary color set to bluish. The lower layer was disabled.
3. I then set the top layer's blend mode to multiply and enabled the lower layer.
4. I adjusted the lower layer's saturation to get a bluish cast with some color (I could have used more color).
5. I merged the layers, then applied the Glow.

Edited by david.atwell
Listified, replaced photobucket image.

• 4 weeks later...

Mini-Tut #15

Shiny Chevron with Internal Reflections

by Pixey, in response to Unovic

Original thread: Anyone know how to create a logo like this?

Original post: 513728

On 3/17/2016 at 0:08 PM, Pixey said:

Hello Unovic and Welcome to the Forum :D .  I hope you are familiar with how Paint.net works, as this tutorial is really not for a total beginner.

Here is what we are aiming for:

pixey-a-1.png.97b2f98cbcbcf95177ad056803b69408.png

Plugin used are:

Edge Expander  and   Inner Shadow Expander

1. Begin with a canvas size of 800 x 600.  Draw 1/2 logo shape with Line/Curve Tool for

one side brush width #6 & black.

2.  Duplicate the above and Flip Horizontal.

3.  Using your arrow keys on your computer, with the move tool

move the right side together with the left.

4.  Merge the above layers.

pixey-a-2.png.83d06048de74c0019ff0595e659bfa82.png

5.  New layer and draw the inner shape with Line/Curve Tool.

6.  Merge both inner and outer lines together.  Gaussian Blur at default.

7.  Select the lines with the magic wand and Invert selection and use Bevel Selection

with lighter colors.

8.  Copy the texture you like - i.e. pixey-a-3.jpg.4d7f44aed5e2882bc7fca630b546b1e3.jpg  into a new layer.

9.  Move the texture layer below the lines layer, to see it better, & resize accordingly.

10.  With the magic wand select the inside of the outer lines.

pixey-a-4.png.d9c7b0de193714dbabd072aaa08cc14f.png

11.  Then move to the texture layer, invert selection and delete.

12.  Do the same with the inner lines and either use the same

texture, or use another one.

Note:  If the filling does not fit well in the Line, use Effects - Object - Edge Expander at

around #4 to help the edges.

pixey-a-5.png.ef860a7cdd324e13f129799372068240.png

13.  Select the outer logo layer and go to Effects - Selection - Inner Shadow Selection

and play with the strengths to get a shadow.

14.  Use the Edge Expander to neaten the edges.

15.  Do the same for the darker smaller logo and use white for the Shadow.

16.  Draw the first small box (to go below the logos) with the line/curve tool for the first box. 

If you draw each box side on their own layers, you can move them with the arrow keys

to line up exactly, then you can merge the lines down for one box.  Duplicate five times

and move them in order.  Again, use your arrow keys on your computer to move the boxes

into alignment.

pixey-a-6.png.b30721e7dbe3ed77043fd65ee7f12d63.png

17.  Merge the box layers together.

18.  Duplicate and flip horizontally.  Use arrows to move in place.  Merge together.

19.   Using the magic wand to select the boxes, move between the boxes and color layer.

Be sure you move from one to the other each time.  It's easy to get confused at this

step because you will be switching between the Magic Wand, the Gradient, the Color

Layer and then back to the box layer and the Magic Wand. 

pixey-a-7.png.c736ca0a09a936704635f46f63d459f6.png

20.   Finally, you can lighten up the lines layer with the Brightness/Contrast and you could

duplicate the colors layer and change the layer mode for a different color.  I used

Reflect in the final image.

Edited by david.atwell
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mini-Tut #16

Erasing Basics

by Cc4FuzzyHuggles, in response to MisterMan505

Original thread: Eraser

Original post: 514169

On 3/25/2016 at 4:08 PM, Cc4FuzzyHuggles said:

The line/curve tool has square endcap options and I think pencil tool draws square. You can erase with them by setting their blending modes to overwrite and changing your primary or secondary color to Opacity - Alpha 0.

-- Choose the tool you want.

-- Change the blending mode.

-- Lower the Opacity - Alpha Slider in the colors window.

cc4fh-a-1.jpg.0967413e83c869dd342a061dcc5b3f31.jpg

Here is an example picture showing different ways to erase and delete things.

cc4fh-a-2.jpg.6df8431f92fcabc69ce447d86896862a.jpg

Edited by david.atwell
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Mini-Tut #17

Fingerpaint Effect

by Ego Eram Reputo, in response to oldzort

Original thread: increase thickness in line drawings

Original post: 516392

On 5/7/2016 at 0:00 AM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

My suggestion:

1. Remove the white background with AlphaSpace with White selected and a Tolerance of 47.

2. Expand the edges with @MJW's Edge Expander. When installed this can be found under Effects > Object. Use Max Distance of 11, Fade Rate of 0 and Opacity Threshold of 149.

3. Run Effects > Noise > Median with Radius 12 and Percentile at 25 (or thereabouts).

Before and after...

Untitled.png

Edited by david.atwell
Replaced Photobucket image.
  • Like 1