Mini-tuts - Discussion

david.atwell

Riddley's mini-tut is our newest: an excellent way to look at shapes and how you can modify simple ones to create complicated ones.  Take a look!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

There sure are, and I think the best one is Pixey's Chilly Text mini-tut!  So cool.  (See what I did there? ;-))

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Pixey hits a second home run in a row with "Billboarding" One Image onto Another.  Great job, Pixey!  Keep it up and you'll dominate this thread!

Well done Pixey. Long term users of PDN & forumers have often been accused of not sharing information & skills. This just proves them wrong yet again. I just realised that in your yourtube of how you made Halle,(link in your sig) I noticed you use a lot of Smudge. The way you use it is like a soft brush. Gosh you are clever. Is there a way to slow down the playback? It is so intriguing & relaxing to watch art being created.

Thanks so much for sharing Pixey :D 

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Thanks so much @BBQ :) .  Alas, there is no way to slow down that particular video, but perhaps I'll make another one sometime and make it slower :D .

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 4 weeks later...

Two new mini-tuts grace our board today!  First, Cc4FH pulls in her second mini-tut showing us how to make transparent layer "windows", while Humility becomes our first self-answerer to be promoted to mini-tut status with an intriguing method to digitally "ink" a pencil drawing.  Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Mini Tutorial By Eli.
Remove simple backgrounds with the Replace Color Plugin -- http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/32538-change-the-background-step-by-step-to-a-portrait/?p=433872

EDIT
In that thread, there were several suggestions and tips. I re-compiled some of them into a more step by step order. 
These steps can help to remove simple backgrounds and cut out subjects with hair or fur : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/32538-change-the-background-step-by-step-to-a-portrait/?p=434564

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

• 3 months later...

The wonderful Pixey takes us into double-digits in the Mini-Tuts world! (it's also her third mini-tut!)

Cc4FH: I'm going to start updating this again!

• Upvote 1

• Upvote 1

• Upvote 1

Lucky number 13!  Cc4FH has a great roundup of clean cutouts.  Essential tutorial!

This clears out the backlog, as far as I can see!  Please keep submitting mini-tuts to add!  Thank you! 

Exclamation points!!!!!

• Upvote 1

MJW earns his second spot with this great tutorial on making a Star Wars hologram effect!  Check it out, Obi-Wan Kenobi.  You're my only hope.

• 4 weeks later...

Pixey goes with the 4-peat with this impressive tutorial for shiny objects with internal reflections (that is actually barely a "mini"-tut)!

• 2 weeks later...

Cc4FH's excellent description of different erasing methods nets her a fourth spot on the Mini-Tuts thread!

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

Eli has some nice and simple mini tuts :

There is another way to produce Circle text...using the Polar Transformation effect :

1. Type your text on a transparent layer. ( I streched it )
2. Add some horizontal lines above and below.
3. Center everything.
4. Use the Polar Transformation effect with the following settings: Choose in the effect " Transform rectangular to polar"
5. Adjust the size using the "Scale" option.

circular-watermark-4f6a0cb.png

Hello Atlas,

You can make it this way:

1. Create a square canvas.
2. Make a horizontal selection in the middle and color the inside using the Gradient tool.
3. Use the Polar Transformation effect and check Transform Rectangular to Polar.

gradient-ring-4f75147.png

• Upvote 3

I second Cc4FuzzyHuggles's submission for Eli's mini tuts....I was thinking the same thing!     :)

• Upvote 1

I second Cc4FuzzyHuggles's submission for Eli's mini tuts....I was thinking the same thing!     :)

Me too :)

Y7O8WRy.png