Mini-tuts - Discussion

david.atwell

Mini ramses_iii_by_thereapersapprentice-d5cwiq5.jpg Tuts

discussion

This is the discussion thread for the Mini-tuts tutorial thread.  For the Mini-tuts themselves, click here.

Ever seen something that a user posted in reply to another user's question - something that looked awesome, but really wasn't enough for a full tutorial?  Well, every post in the Mini-tuts thread will be one of those!  Moderators (mostly me, probably) will be copying posts from other threads to this one; if you'd like to recommend one, or if you have questions about one of the Mini-tuts, ask it below.

To ask or answer a question:  The Mini-tuts are numbered at the top of each one, like this:  Mini-Tut #1  If you have a question about it, refer to that number in your question.

To nominate a post:  In the top-right of every post, there's an icon that looks like this: icon_share.png.  If you click on it, it will open a dialog box with a link inside.  Copy that link, then post it in this thread with a sentence or short paragraph explaining why you think that deserves to be a Mini-tut.

A note on rules:  Since these MIni-tuts were never intended to be full tutorials, they're naturally going to break a few of the Tutorial Posting Guidelines.  My personal guidelines for this thread are that it should include at least one image, and be well-written and unique.  But other mods may post different things, so don't get too hung up on rules.  All Mini-tuts will still follow the forum rules.

A note on rep:  Moderators are going to be copying the original post from the thread in which it was posted into the Mini-tuts thread.  So don't rep the post in the Mini-tut forum!  (Unless you're trying to say that we copied it particularly adeptly)  If you think the tutorial was really good, follow the link at the top of the Mini-tut that looks like this: Original post: 408433.  That link will take you directly to the original post.  Rep that one instead!

Image of little mummy (a mini-Tut!) by TheReapersApprentice on DeviantArt, released under CC-BY-SA 3.0.
  • Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Sure, that would be fine. That post in particular isn't really what I'm looking for; I'm looking for more brief, step-by-step tips. That one was good, but it was more of an example than a how-to. But they can definitely be freely-offered information.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

I love this idea!

Question though, are we allowed to post mini tutorials in this thread? Such as tutorials on paint.net's user interface, tips and tricks, or tutorials that feel too short to have their own thread? For example, using the line/curve tools as erasers, or a simple tut that produces a cool look/effect?
Obviously if the tutorial isn't that good, it simply doesn't get hoasted in the actual Mini-tuts tutorial thread, and the mini tuts that get shared in here could have a rule of, "Must be Hidden".

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

I was all ready to say yes, but I'm actually going to say no, and here's why:

The point of Mini-tuts is to encourage people to up their answering-questions game.  And while this thread could help people, it really wouldn't be encouraging that.

However, here's a backup idea: if you have something you really want to post, make an image and put it in your Pictorium thread.  If it gets any good response (even by PM or upvote), post a mini-tut as a response in your pictorium (make sure to include a picture); then, recommend that post here.  It will keep clutter to a minimum and help promote your gallery, too!

Alright, thanks for the reply, and yeah, I see your point about the "wanting to encourage people to help others", since that helps build a more active, friendlier, and closer community. :)

Wow, that's awesome.  Looks like TRON lines.  Absolutely.  Promoted!

The latest (and currently longest) mini-tut has been posted, courtesy of Cc4FuzzyHuggles!  It's an excellent wrap-up of the various ways to cut out an object, and is a great reference for newbies.  Thanks!

That's cool, I'm glad you liked it. :)

Since it has been added to the "Mini Tuts" though, I thought I should let you know that I edited my post. I added the plugin "Cut Color" along with it's own explanation and picture.

Updated. Thanks!

Are you eventually going to create a separate section for Mini - Tuts? Like you have for Text tuts, Creations etc..?

It would make them easier to find rather than scrolling through a thread to find the one you want. Lots of good mini tuts could just get lost in the clutter. Also it would mean people could ask questions about them in that particular thread.

• Upvote 3

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

That's not a bad suggestion. I like it.

Are you eventually going to create a separate section for Mini - Tuts? Like you have for Text tuts, Creations etc..?

It would make them easier to find rather than scrolling through a thread to find the one you want. Lots of good mini tuts could just get lost in the clutter. Also it would mean people could ask questions about them in that particular thread.

That's an interesting idea, but, do you really expect there to be that many mini tuts? And, would it work the same as the thread, but be a section? Like the rules, and the nominating and stuff.

The mini's would get their own thread each in the new section. It would make maintenance and tagging topics much easier, as well as condensing subsequent discussions.

I'm up for it, if it has enough support.  That was an eventual goal, if this experiment is still succeeding after a few months.  If it isn't, hey, only two threads to unpin and lock.

I do still want it to have the spirit of this one, though - nomination and mod-promotion of items from other threads - because, as I said, I want this to highlight the best answers offered in other threads all over the board, and encourage users to do more.  So if we did do that, I'd want it to be semi-locked (replies allowed, but only mods can create new threads).  Maybe we could even promote some people (like comp-hosts) to do the promoting, too.

Lots of good mini tuts could just get lost in the clutter.

This was really only ever intended as a test, or a proof-of-concept for the idea.  If it took off, I'd start working toward an actual subforum for the mini-tut concept.  I was really hoping to only have 3-5 pages of minis before moving to expand the concept.

Naturally I would not expect a new subforum for only a few minituts bearing in mind all the work involved. But until there are enough to warrant it how about putting a list of them with the links in the first post? If the idea does not take off after all at least this would make finding the one you want a bit easier.

I agree it would still be a good idea to have them nominated.

• Upvote 2

Naturally I would not expect a new subforum for only a few minituts bearing in mind all the work involved. But until there are enough to warrant it how about putting a list of them with the links in the first post? If the idea does not take off after all at least this would make finding the one you want a bit easier.

Why didn't I think of that?  Excellent idea.  Doing it now.  EDIT: Done.

Thanks for taking up my idea David. So glad I could contribute in a positive way. :)

I suppose I better nominate a tut then. How about this one -

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/28299-requestsuggestion-plugin-for-long-shadows/?p=408466

Shadows are needed in so many images so this would come in handy to a lot of people. I have used this method myself occasionally.

Edited by Goonfella

It is a good process, but it's not really written as a good tutorial.  It's not quite self-contained enough.  I'd have to do some extensive rewrites.

Not that I never want to do it, just don't have time now.  :-)

Yellowman's Polystyrene Texture is beautiful, and the latest mini-tut on the board!

And the mini-tuts now have a logo of sorts!  Mini-Tut will be our new welcoming presence, and he comes to us from TheReapersApprentice on DeviantArt, released under CC-BY-SA 3.0.  Get it?  Tutankhamun was a mummy?  King Tut?  Mini-Tut?  :D

...yes, I know the image is supposed to be Rameses III.  Hush.