Multiple windows?

doonks

Hi, 

I'm new here - forgive me if this has been asked before, I did use the search function. 

Is it possible to, or is it an intended future addition to be able to have open images in multiple undockable windows? I frequently want to cut and paste from one image to another / edit images side by side and I don't see a way to do this currently. 

Thanks,

D

Is it possible to, or is it an intended future addition to be able to have open images in multiple undockable windows?D

Welcome to the forum doonks :)

You can open multiple images.  However there is no option to undock the editing window.

When you open multiple images, you can switch between them by clicking the thumbnail in the Image list at the top of the screen.  This should resolve the cut/paste problem you mentioned.  As for editing images side-by-side, no you can't unless you want to increase the canvas size enough to accommodate both images.  Here's a tutorial on this technique:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/20764-pictures-side-by-side-before-and-after-images/

Thanks for the response, from that I gather that there's probably not a way of doing exactly what I was talking about.

To explain a bit, I use Paint.NET a lot because it is very efficient at doing certain tasks - such as selecting particular parts of images and superimposing / manipulating these parts as layers. The software seems very well designed with a focus on making otherwise complex procedures simple, and thus maximising time efficiency.

I frequently have many images open at the same time and it keeps occurring to me that being able to have multiple panes on the screen at the same time, or even just being able to switch between open images rapidly with keyboard shortcuts would further speed up the kind of tasks that Paint.NET lends itself to. 

I suppose a follow up question then is are there any keyboard shortcuts for cycling through open images? 

Cheers,

D

Easy.

Alt + 1 for image #1

Alt + 2 for image #2

Alt + 3 for image #3

Alt + 4...........

Yeah but Alt also works ;)

Found some more....

Ctrl + Tab = next image

Ctrl + Shift + Tab = previous image

• 5 years later...

Hi, I love Paint.NET.  I use it all the time, and have donated.  Could you please consider making it possible to be able to see two images at the same time?  I would really like to see both at the same time, for instance today I am trying to reverse-engineer a fuzzbox I made 20 years ago, by looking at the front and the back of the circuit card at the same time, and tag the parts I have scribed into the schematic with a transparent yellow mark on each image.  It makes me lose my orientation to have to click between the single images.  Please look into having multiple windows.  Thanks!

• Rick Brewster locked this topic