paint.net 4.0 beta build 5226

Rick Brewster

The third beta build for paint.net 4.0 is now available!

To install, you can either 1) use the built-in updater from a previous 4.0 build, or 2) use the built-in updater from v3.5.11 if you have "Also check for pre-release (beta) builds" enabled, or 3) download it directly at http://www.getpaint.net/files/zip/preview/paint.net.4.0.5226.41987.install.zip

Here are the changes and fixes since the last beta build (5168):

• Rotation (Move, Shapes) now allows you to use the right mouse button to rotate, no matter where the mouse cursor is
  • The hit-zone for rotation no longer extends inside the object's (e.g. selection, shape) bounding box
  • New languages: Hungarian, Lithuanian
  • Fixed some mouse input glitches when using Paint.NET inside of VMWare
  • Fixed all sorts of issues with Paste
  • Fixed blending modes sometimes getting saved incorrectly
  • Fixed an infinite loop with the crash dialog handling
  • Fixed constrained rotation (e.g. Move, Shapes) using a relative instead of absolute offset
  • Fixed a rendering issue with the Move Selected Pixels tool caused by a flawed implementation of coverage sampling
  • Fixed an issue in the Magic Wand and Paint Bucket tools when using a Tolerance value of 0 whereby it would sometimes include colors that weren't exactly the same as what you clicked on
  • Fixed a crash when using horizontal scroll wheels
  • Fixed the Settings dialog showing the wrong language
  • Fixed the increment for Pan/Zoom in the Rotate/Zoom dialog (it was 1.0, it is now 0.01)
  • Fixed the Rotate/Zoom dialog not always reloading the values that were used previously
  • Fixed the Pixel Grid indicators (View menu, toolbar) being out of sync
  • Fixed various plugin compatibility issues
  • Fixed various crashes
Enjoy!
  • Upvote 4

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I can confirm the paste behavior, now I can successfully paste from Outlook!

This is a really welcome beta.

Do you still plan to include pen input support? Sorry if you already said that, but I just need that and I don't follow your blog regularly.

Golly - you're up early Mr Brewster :D .

Have just updated my version and happy to report it's working fine .... including Clipwarp :)

Thank you for such a wonderful programme smiley-gen014.gif  

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Now, you should fix Internet picture copy and paste function, as it doesn't work. Every time I try to copy an image from Google not to save it, Paint.NET says that Clipboard doesn't contain an image, which makes me totally mad.

To me, it looks like the copy-paste issue has been properly fixed.

I've just tried it on my W8.1 64-bit PC using the latest versions of Chromium, Firefox and Internet Explorer.

With each browser I visited a different web site and (obviously) copied a different picture.

All copied images pasted [Ctrl-Alt-V] perfectly in today's paint.net.

Drag/drop image into paint.net from PrtScr (http://www.fiastarta.com/PrtScr/) still does not work.

It works fine in all other apps, including google chrome gmail, Word, ...

To reproduce the issue:

- press print screen key

- select an area on screen

- drag/drop the floating image in paint.net

Edit: there is the same issue when trying to drag/drop an image from google chrome.

Edited by softlion

I've tried a number of Screen Capture programs that I use from time to time:

• Standard Windows [WIN-PrtScn]
  • Window Clippings
  • PicPick
  • GreenShot
  • XnViewMP
  • Screengrab Firefox extension

For each, copy-paste worked just fine.

As #softlion is mentioning "drag-and-drop", I did some further testing:

• Firefox - drag-and-drop image works fine
  • Chromium - drag-and-drop does not work
  • Internet Explorer - drag-and-drop does not work
  • Hmmm, what other applications would I want to drag images from....

But should we expect this to work?

Isn't it up to the 'drag-from' program to make something available or not to the 'drop-into' program?

Edited by StephanP

Discovered bug:

-Open any image (fairly large though).

-Create a new file, size 100x100px.

-Paste the large image onto a new layer on the 100x100 file.

-Resize the large image.

For me it goes completely white.

Repros sort of. If I create any size canvas, let's say 1000x1000 and paste a 4000x4000 image to it without expanding the canvas.

After this I can move the image without problems and get part of the image showing on canvas ok.

If I resize the large image in any way for any amount, all but the left topmost corner the size of the canvas goes transparent.

• Upvote 1

sig.jpg.7f312affa740bae49243c4439bc4a244.jpg

Repros sort of. If I create any size canvas, let's say 1000x1000 and paste a 4000x4000 image to it without expanding the canvas.

After this I can move the image without problems and get part of the image showing on canvas ok.

If I resize the large image in any way for any amount, all but the left topmost corner the size of the canvas goes transparent.

Seconded, i am having this issue aswell, didn't know how to explain it properly haha

eOdUjVm.jpg

Confirmed. It's a bug with the coverage sampling in the bilinear transform code. If you switch to Nearest Neighbor in the toolbar, it goes away. (For performance, bilinear isn't used when it isn't necessary, such as when you haven't rotated/scaled)

• Upvote 1

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

To me, it looks like the copy-paste issue has been properly fixed.

I've just tried it on my W8.1 64-bit PC using the latest versions of Chromium, Firefox and Internet Explorer.

With each browser I visited a different web site and (obviously) copied a different picture.

All copied images pasted [Ctrl-Alt-V] perfectly in today's paint.net.

Yeah, when the last update came, it had been fixed. But when I wrote this, it had not.

If the clipboard contains the formats CF_DIB, CF_BITMAP and PNG then Paimt.NET seems to take the DIB and ignores the transparency.

I'm happy that Paint.NET now copies a PNG to the clipboard but it would be better to paste it also if available.

In the moment it is not so easy to exchange transparent bitmaps between applications.

midoras signature.gif

Oops - found a buggy  :(

Hidden Content:
File: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\EdHarvey.Effects.dll
Name: EdHarvey.Edfects.Effects.ColorFlipRotateEffect
Version: 3.5.3786.8637
Author: Ed Harvey
Copyright: Copyright © 2006-2010, Ed Harvey
Website: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/18811-ed-harvey-effects-v-35
Full error message: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.UI' from assembly 'PaintDotNet.SystemLayer, Version=4.0.5226.41987, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
at EdHarvey.UI.EtchedLine.InitForCurrentVisualStyle()
at EdHarvey.UI.EtchedLine..ctor()
at EdHarvey.Edfects.EdEffectConfigDialog3.InitializeComponent()
at EdHarvey.Edfects.EdEffectConfigDialog3..ctor()
at EdHarvey.Edfects.Effects.ColorFlipRotateEffectConfigDialog..ctor()
at EdHarvey.Edfects.Effects.ColorFlipRotateEffect.CreateConfigDialog()
at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.RunEffectImpl(Type effectType) in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 913

Edit:  Plus Color filter and color tint

My bad - didn't check to see if the plugins were the latest ouch.gif  

Edited by Pixey

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Those seem to work fine for me. Are you sure you're using the latest version of that plug-in?

--------------------

On another note, I just noticed the rotation center stays in place when you drag a shape - is that a bug or a feature?

Edited by vvye

Many thanks @vvy - now working since I downloaded the updated plugins.  I'd assumed, with the latest update in v4, that it came with the newest plugins.  I'll double check next time ;) .

Yes, that center piece is for rotation.

30b8T8B.gif

Seconded, i am having this issue aswell, didn't know how to explain it properly haha

Discovered bug:

-Open any image (fairly large though).

-Create a new file, size 100x100px.

-Paste the large image onto a new layer on the 100x100 file.

-Resize the large image.

For me it goes completely white.

Ditto, frustrating but thankfully Rick's solution works very well :D Thanks heaps!

Confirmed. It's a bug with the coverage sampling in the bilinear transform code. If you switch to Nearest Neighbor in the toolbar, it goes away. (For performance, bilinear isn't used when it isn't necessary, such as when you haven't rotated/scaled)

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

I would prefer a different symbol for the drag button of the magic wand hot spot. In the moment it's the same symbol as for dragging objects like shapes or text. But the action is not really dragging because moving the hot spot creates a new shape.

midoras signature.gif

Is there any chance that we could see some vanilla features from some really handy plugins?

Such as

- Align (Top Left, Bottom Center, Etc)

- Flip

- Color Remover (Single color to remove such as white to make the image background transparent)

- Outline

• Upvote 1

If the clipboard contains the formats CF_DIB, CF_BITMAP and PNG then Paimt.NET seems to take the DIB and ignores the transparency.

I'm happy that Paint.NET now copies a PNG to the clipboard but it would be better to paste it also if available.

In the moment it is not so easy to exchange transparent bitmaps between applications.

Okay. It makes sense to me that PNG should have higher priority than CF_*. The latter requires all sorts of heuristic guess work to get the alpha working correctly (albeit imprecisely).

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Is there any chance that we could see some vanilla features from some really handy plugins?

Such as

- Align (Top Left, Bottom Center, Etc)

- Flip

- Color Remover (Single color to remove such as white to make the image background transparent)

- Outline

Excellent idea, i second this, ill pop it in the requesty part of the forum :)

eOdUjVm.jpg

I've suggested Drop Shadow in the past. I think it would make an excellent addition.

Bug: Right clicking the color wheel always sets the Primary color (not Secondary as expected).