I do not understand 'Resize'

I do not understand 'Resize'.  I can take a 5 megapixel image of 2592 x 1936 pixels, or 36 x 26.89 inches, and resize it to 8 x 5.98 inches for printing on an A4 sheet.  Whether I save the resized image or not, I cannot obtain a printed result that is 8 x 5.98 inches on an A4 sheet.  The File>Print...>Print Pictures window simply presents me with options such as 'Full page photo', '13 x 18 cm. (2)', '20 x 25 cm. (1)', etc.

Certainly, the Paint.NET ruler informs me the image is resized, but Is 'Resize' a proper title for this facility if it will not print at this size?  Am I missing something?  What procedure is there to carry out the operation I am attempting?

Paint.NET's print dialog is well known for being...undeveloped.  Resize indeed does something, but you won't notice much unless you're working with web graphics.

I'd recommend not resizing the image, though.  That size will make for a much better quality print (larger size, better quality).  Just load that size and run Simon Brown's Printer+ Plugin instead of the onboard print function.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

David

I thank you for you prompt reply.  I had quite forgotten about plugins since I purchased a new PC last year.  I had used them quite a lot on my previous machine.  The Printer+ Plugin and Simon Brown, certainly, rings a bell; however I still have not achieved what I want.  The only facility I see to resize the image is in Page Setup using 'Margins'.  Increasing them so that the image and position is as required does not work: the margins revert to quite something else.  So, what must I do to achieve this 8 x 5.98 inches image on my A4 sheet?

Your printer probably doesn't support those margins, then, unfortunately.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Good day Bob

I've read the other replies and while I may not print many images myself, I may have a solution for you (if of course you haven't already tried this method).

What I noticed when trying to print an image that uses an 8 x 5.98 inch canvas is that when presented with the print options, the image (or canvas size) in the preview seems to be automatically resized to fit the enter page, in this case A4.

However,  if you use the "Canvas Size" option under the "Image" tab before printing and:

•  set your canvas size to 21 x 29.7 centimeters (which is an A4 size paper)
  • uncheck the "maintain aspect ratio" box
  • "anchor" the image by the middle

...You should have a canvas size that correspond to A4 and sets your image in the proportion you want it to be on your printed sheet

printex.png

Once ready to print, your print preview should reflect what you see in your PDN (or PNG, etc) file in a landscape view. This is of course with the "Full Page Photo" option selected as your canvas is the equivalent of a full page and obviously with A4 paper size selected as well.

Crossing my fingers for you, worked for me.

Cheers B)

• Upvote 1

SigSpec2.png

Spectre

I thank you for your constructive reply.  I followed your instructions and, yes, that does work.  Certainly, for anyone simply wishing to print an image to a particular size on a A4 sheet, that is a very worthwhile and straightforward solution.

My thanks, again.