How to Install Plugins ×

Twainable+ (2014-05-28)

null54

This plugin allows Paint.NET to use 32-bit TWAIN drivers on a 64-bit OS.

To install place both files in the Effects folder of Paint.NET.

Usage:

Menu location: Effects->Tools->Twainable+.

The UI consists of a combo box and two buttons.

• The combo box allows you to select the TWAIN source to use, this is only enabled if there are multiple TWAIN sources.
  • The Acquire to Clipboard button displays the scanner interface, and places the image on the clipboard.
  • The Close button closes the plugin window.

Due to the fact that this plugin places the scanned image on the clipboard, it can only acquire a single scan each time it is run.

btn_donate_SM.gif

File version 1.0.0.2.

Download:

TwainablePlus.zip

Source Code:

https://github.com/0xC0000054/pdn-twainable-plus

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• 1 month later...

Did you just merge EZTW32.DLL with my Twainable.dll, and changed the manifest file according to this comment?

No, this plugin launches a separate 32-bit process to interact with the TWAIN drivers and does not depend on the EZTwain DLL.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Fixed an infinite loop if the user canceled the scanner dialog, file version updated to 1.0.0.1.

PdnSig.png

• 3 weeks later...

Fixed a bug with the cancellation of multiple page scans, file version updated to 1.0.0.2.

PdnSig.png

Twainable was recommended to me in another thread, and I posted a report of problems there, but in several days no one responded. I need to try again.

When I loaded my document into the document feeder and tried to scan it, Twainable+ read only the first page. It stopped with the first page open in Paint.NET, and the second sheet half way through the scanner.

Second, the page it did scan was blank. (No, the orignal was not blank, and was not fed backward!)

The device is a Canon MX870 multifunction device. I'm using Paint.NET 4.0 beta under Windows 7 Professional.

Twainable was recommended to me in another thread, and I posted a report of problems there, but in several days no one responded. I need to try again.

When I loaded my document into the document feeder and tried to scan it, Twainable+ read only the first page. It stopped with the first page open in Paint.NET, and the second sheet half way through the scanner.

Second, the page it did scan was blank. (No, the orignal was not blank, and was not fed backward!)

The device is a Canon MX870 multifunction device. I'm using Paint.NET 4.0 beta under Windows 7 Professional.

Due to the fact that this plugin places the scanned image on the clipboard, it can only acquire a single scan each time it is run.

As for your second issue, I am unsure what may be causing it.

You might try scanning using the flatbed, which would eliminate any potential issues with the document feeder.

PdnSig.png

Thank you for your response. There's nothing more to be done here, but in return for responding to my questions, I think you deserve feedback. Twainable won't be useful to me with that limitation.

I used to use Paint Shop Pro as an image processing program, mainly for scanning documents and doing simple cleanup operations (flood fill of dirty backgrounds, etc). Windows 7 won't run my old version of PSP, and I found the current version to be a huge, complex thing in which everything is possible and nothing is easy. That started my search for a new image processing program. I thought Paint.NET would be it, but it won't. Its built-in scanner interface doesn't let me adjust contrast, brightness, or resolution;Twainable doesn't support the document feeder. From my point of view those are all utterly basic features, and a program that lacks any of them is simply not adequate for my needs.

I understand that there's nothing you can do about document feeder support due to the way Paint.NET forces you to interface with it. I don't know about the built-in interface. But you (and the Paint.NET developers) should be aware that these limitations essentially make the program useless to people for whom scanning is important.

• 3 months later...

I hadn't used my old trusty Canon LIDE 60 scanner since I got this laptop with windows 10.   The scanner didn't show up in applications because it used a TWAIN driver, but it seems most modern applications want WIA (? not sure if I have the acronym right).  Anyway, this was a lifesaver for me.  Works like a charm.   Thanks a million for spending the time to create this.

• 5 weeks later...

@null54: I copied the files (TwainablePlus.dll, TwainProxy.exe) to where I think you might have intended them to go:

C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects  and

C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects\Tools\Twainable+

(I have the files in both locations now)

then I start paint.net and look for something available in  Go to File>Acquire>From Scanner or Camera

but only see the one scanner with a WIA driver as I saw it before installing your files. What I do not see is any of the scanners with a network TWAIN driver in the network. And of course I do not have access to the UI you mention.

What do I do wrongly, or what do i expect wrongly interpreting your words?

46 minutes ago, adorno said:

What do I do wrongly, or what do i expect wrongly interpreting your words?

The plugin is located in the Effects menu under the Tools category.

You can delete the Tools folder in C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects.

PdnSig.png

• 2 weeks later...

@null54: I now have the Twainable files in all possible directories:

o03BzY.png

and nevertheless do not achieve any result. File - Import - from scanner or camera results in the following window showing one single WIA device only (which even is not present in the current Network):

o0FYiN.png

However, when selecting a Twain source Xnview Shows the following Options:

o0sfeO.png

I Need to connect to the blue marked Epson device.

Again: how to get Twainable to work properly?

P.S. I now set "notify me of replies" for this Forum. Hopefully it will not take me as long as the last time to respond. Additionally I do hope that embedding of screenshots using NicPostHosts does work, I never have used it before. Currently in editing mode the screenshots are only a square presentation of a larger image. In any case, thank you for your support.

Edited by adorno
error in link to NicPicHost

13 hours ago, adorno said:

and nevertheless do not achieve any result. File - Import - from scanner or camera results in the following window showing one single WIA device only (which even is not present in the current Network):

This plugin does not modify the File - Import - from scanner or camera options (Paint.NET plugins can not modify that menu).

You have to access this plugin from the Effects menu Effects->Tools->Twainable+.

After you run Twainable+ it will place the scanned image on the clipboard and it can be pasted into a new image using the Edit->Paste into New Image option.

PdnSig.png

• 3 weeks later...

@null54  thank you very much for this clarification. Everything is working fine now. To be clear on the file locations:

"C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects\TwainProxy.exe"
"C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects\TwainablePlus.dll"

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

can´t help!

twainable+ window doesn't find my scanner....!

background:

- used standard Twainable on a W7 32bit PC -  still is working, though it's been updated to W10

- copied from effects folder to another new W10 machine, but error message when selecting

- changed to twainable+ but unsuccessful

scanner = CanoScan N670U

4 hours ago, tonne44 said:

twainable+ window doesn't find my scanner....!

Is your new machine 32-bit or 64-bit?

PdnSig.png

5 hours ago, null54 said:

Are the 32-bit TWAIN drivers installed?

Before trying twainable+ , I removed both old twainable files from efx folder of course...

5 hours ago, tonne44 said:

Before trying twainable+ , I removed both old twainable files from efx folder of course...

I was referring to the 32-bit drivers for your scanner.

PdnSig.png

9 hours ago, null54 said:

I was referring to the 32-bit drivers for your scanner.

oh, sorry,... here is my fault -  it´s been a while, so I have wrong memory here

as far as I remembered the scanner was shown in paintNet on 32bit just with twainable without driver... WHICH IS IMPOSSIBLE

for the 64bit machine, I definitely have no driver installed- that must be the point..

so the latest driver I can find is for Windows XP 32bit (2007)

I should install this one and try twainable+, right?

Edited by tonne44

okay - driver will not install right - just too old?

looks as if this is the end :) ......

(old 32bit driver seemed to install, but after the procedure no message about success or anything

after that I connect scanner  - system shows scanner, but says no driver)