#1 BoltBait

BoltBait

2013 Movie Guru Award Winner

• Administrators
  • 9,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:58 AM

Transparency Adjustment Effect

I noticed (and submitted a bug report) that when I changed a layer's opacity and merged another layer onto it, the result was less than I expected. The transparency never came out as you saw it on the screen. This turned out to be a problem when I was making collages of pictures and I was attempting to put drop shadows around some of the pictures. When I merged the picture layer with its drop shadow layer, it didn't look good at all.

Since there is no way in Paint.NET to directly adjust the opacity of a selection independent of the entire layer, I decided to write an effect to do it.

Posted Image
The Effect DLL

If you like it, you can download the precompiled effect here: BoltBait's Plugin Pack

How to Use

In order to use this effect, first select the pixels that you want to adjust. If you do not make a selection, the current layer will be affected.

Then, click the Adjustments menu and select Transparency.

Move the slider to the left to make your selection more transparent or move your slider to the right to make your selection less transparent.

If you would like to adjust transparent pixels, be sure to uncheck the "Ignore trasparent pixels" check box. Completely transparent pixels will be filled with the secondary color before being adjusted.

When your selection looks the way you want, click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel to undo your changes.

Enjoy

I hope you find this effect useful. 8)

Oh, and by the way, there are several people on this board :roll: who will be happy to know that I wrote the UI myself. (Well, I had a little help.)

As always, more info here: <!-- m -->http://boltbait.goog...om/transparency<!-- m -->
Click to play:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Download: BoltBait's Plugin Pack | CodeLab | More... and how about a Computer Dominos Game

#2 El Sid

El Sid
  • Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationSydney, NSW, Australia

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:06 AM

Thank You Boltbait, You Rule!

#3 BuzzKill

BuzzKill
  • Members
  • 1,020 posts
  • LocationCorpus Christi

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:29 PM

Two paintbrush's...erm, I mean two thumbs up on this one!!
Posted Image
- DO NOT contact me asking for the .pdn of my avatar or the PDN logo. Thank you. Have a nice day.

#4 barkbark00

barkbark00
  • Members
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:19 PM

I think having this is better than fixing your bug. This seems to be more intuitive. Great job!

EDIT:
One problem, without using the color picker there is no exact way to see what level you made the transparency. You need the actual values to show up in the dialog somewhere. Otherwise, it is great!
Posted Image
Take responsibility for your own intelligence. ;) -Rick Brewster

#5 Bullet42

Bullet42
  • Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationLimerick, Ireland

Posted 29 January 2007 - 05:18 PM

brilliant plugin
Posted Image

#6 Leif

Leif
  • Members
  • 673 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 29 January 2007 - 05:43 PM

I was never bothered with the bug you found, BoltBait. But, the possibility to select a part of a picture, and adjust the transparency individually is very handy. Thanks. Great job.
Posted Image
My DA: http://leif-j.deviantart.com/
--------------
Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

#7 BoltBait

BoltBait

• Administrators
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 07:38 PM

One problem, without using the color picker there is no exact way to see what level you made the transparency. You need the actual values to show up in the dialog somewhere. Otherwise, it is great!

The problem here is that not every pixel on the layer is changed to the same opacity level. You see, if you draw a solid shape on a transparent layer, then blur that layer, many of the pixels are already less then 100% opacity. You wouldn't want to adjust those pixels to the same level of opacity, the image wouldn't look natural-believe me, I tried that first.

The slider only makes pixels more or less transparent. The actual amount of adjustment may be different on a per pixel basis.

The reason for this is that the results look more natural when sliding the slider. Also, the calculation is different if the slider is above or below 0.

I hope this explanation clears things up for you.
Click to play:
Download: BoltBait's Plugin Pack | CodeLab | More... and how about a Computer Dominos Game

#8 barkbark00

barkbark00
  • Members
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:32 PM

I understand what you are saying here. Thanks for the clarification.

Would you be able to have the actual amount of adjustment be represented in the dialog. That, at least, would be helpful.
Posted Image

#9 BoltBait

BoltBait

• Administrators
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:46 PM

Is that really necessary? The slider tic marks are at 10% intervals and you can slide the slider with the keyboard by 1% increments.
Click to play:

#10 user24

user24
  • Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:11 AM

I think it would, so you can remember "ah yes, 47% works well", etc. also, all the other sliders in PDN have the select box alongside them. no harm putting it in.

#11 barkbark00

barkbark00
  • Members
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:18 AM

I think it would, so you can remember "ah yes, 47% works well", etc.

^ raises a good point.
Posted Image

#12 barkbark00

barkbark00
  • Members
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:00 PM

BoltBait,

I think paint.kim is looking for your plugin, only with the ability to set conditions like the "Conditional Hue/Saturation Effect".

The only difference is that it would need to allow for you to conditionally select black and/or white for adjustment.
Posted Image

#13 chironex

chironex
  • Newbies
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:51 AM

Best plugin ever! Thx!

#14 jake2k

jake2k
  • Members
  • 1,363 posts
  • LocationDunedin, Florida

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:54 PM

it wont let me dl the dll, it says i need to dl .net framework o_O why would i need to do that just to get the plugin

p.s. pdn is on another computer ;)

Posted Image

^Click to visit my Flickr Gallery^

#15 dragonpyro

dragonpyro
  • Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWhere do I live? Help me I'm LOST!

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:53 PM

I've been waiting for something like this! I noticed the bug too, but it works fin if you do all the layers first then flatten it.
Posted Image

#16 Ash

Ash

Former Moderator

• Members
  • 6,381 posts
  • Locationhttp://tinyurl.com/6kqz9v

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:57 PM

I've been waiting for something like this!

The plug in was up before you joined the forum. :lol:

Posted Image
All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

#17 mfelten86

mfelten86
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:21 AM

I love this plugin! Great work, here is something I made.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Rich

Rich
  • Newbies
  • 2 posts
  • LocationGatineau, Qu├ębec, Canada

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:16 AM

Hey peeps...new here.

I've been using the Paint.Net program for a year or so now, and it works fine. Struggling a little, but i need to find time to get into the tutorials.

Anyways...i just added this Transparency plug-in, but i'm just not getting things happening the way i want them. My daughter wants to print a calendar. It's just a 1 page "yearly" version of 2008. I thought it nice to add a faded dolphin background in blk & wht, seeing she loves dolphins. Problem is, when i try the plug-in, the picture fades but i see the little squares in the background. And i try to overlap the pic onto the calendar page, i still cannot see the calendar. It's like they cancel each other out.

I've used Photoshop in the past and made many of these set ups, but seeing i can't afford the software, this program is the closest thing i found.

What am i doing wrong?

Rich
!!!GO HABS GO!!!

#19 pyrochild

pyrochild
  • Administrators
  • 11,446 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:20 AM

Problem is, when i try the plug-in, the picture fades but i see the little squares in the background.

The squares indicate transparency. They show up if an image is partially or completely transparent only on-screen to distinguish between a white background.
xZYt6wl.png
ambigram signature by Kemaru

[I write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

#20 robotco

robotco
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:00 AM

this is exactly what i was looking for. thanks!