paint.net 4.0 beta build 5168

Rick Brewster

request: rick, could we please have the active layer being set to which ever layer is last toggled visible?

currently the layer dialog window retains the same active layer (which is intuitive for us users) and yet toggling a layer off in the layer window changes the active layer to the next visible layer beneath it (that is inconsistent from a ux design perspective)

which in project files with lots of layers, can scroll the layer window down to the new active layer, forcing the user to scroll back up, and reselect the layer they were testing the visibility of.

Edited by ratty redemption

Hello, Rick.

I'm not sure if this has been addressed before, but I noticed an unexpected behavior in transparent gradient.

qiBPr5i.png?1

I tried to reverse the gradient by right clicking on one of the nub, and I should expect to see a flip, meaning the image should have sepia tone on the left side, and the original color on the right side.  It never happened, in spite of repeated right-clicking.

Edited by TrevorOutlaw

I tried to reverse the gradient by right clicking on one of the nub, and I should expect to see a flip, meaning the image should have sepia tone on the left side, and the original color on the right side.  It never happened, in spite of repeated right-clicking.

Welshie brought this up in a previous release. So far, the functionality is not there as it has been deemed unnecessary.

You can get around it either by setting both colors to transparent or using the alpha mask plugin

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I dunno if four clicks are really worth switching back to 3.5.11, though...

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Hey, if you want to switch back to 3.5.11, knock yourself out.  You're cheating yourself out of soft brush/eraser, better large image editing, antialiased selections, tools with blending modes, drag-and-drop layer handling...but hey, go for it.  This is a free program, you're welcome to use or not use whichever version you want.  Just keep in mind, once 4.0 goes to full release, you can't get any tech support on this forum for 3.5.11 ever again.

In my opinion, it's definitely worth the 3 extra clicks.  Especially since I have to click about 500 fewer times per image anyway...

• Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bug report:

I used to copy-paste an image from Firefox into a blank image in Paint.net. But with the latest beta I get an error saying:

This clipboard doesn't contain an image.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open http://www.getpaint.net into a tab in Firefox.
  2. Right-click the image on that page and press "Copy image".
  3. Go to Paint.net program and paste the image (Ctrl + v or paste from menu) into a blank canvas.
  4. See the error message as above show up.

Environment:

• Firefox 28 & 29
  • Windows 7 & 8.1
  • Paint.net 4.0.5168

Edit:

Just noticed this topic: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/28027-bug-image-copying-from-firefox/

Edited by jerone

A bunch of clipboard stuff is broken in the latest 4.0 beta. It's at the very top of the list to be fixed.

It's kind of ironic because I fixed one really nasty bug, and it broke a whole bunch of other things :)

For now, I would recommend sticking with v3.5.11 for the next week or two (until the next beta, in other words).

(see here)

Admittedly, it has taken a bit longer than expected to fix.

:)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Hi,

I've been using this recent beta of Paint.NET 4 for a week on Windows 7 Professional x64 (Italian) and am pretty much satisfied with how it's been working for me so far, except for one issue that isn't present in Paint.NET 3.5: when I try to paste some Japanese text into a text area, I see question marks characters instead of ideograms. My system is properly configured for dealing with the Japanese language and actually if I type Japanese characters directly into a text area in Paint.NET using Microsoft's IME, then ideograms are shown as expected. Any idea?

EDIT: the issue affects any unicode characters pasted in Paint.NET... some even seems to get transliterated, for example Ŵ is shown as W and Ō is shown as O. Out of curiosity I tried by pasting the same text in the name property of a layer and unicode characters are properly shown there.

I wanted to add my voice to this concern.  The text tool isn't playing well with Unicode in the 4.0 beta but works fine in 3.5.11.

To reproduce: Copy/paste this arrow into a new image: ↘ - it will paste as a question mark.

Just keep in mind, once 4.0 goes to full release, you can't get any tech support on this forum for 3.5.11 ever again.

Ouchies, those words are so painful to read. I like 4.0, but with my love of plugins I am still primarily using version 3.5.11.

I hate to see the version with so many wonderful plugins get shoved under the rug. :/

Well, most of them are being updated for 4.0.  The ones that aren't will probably be replaced in the future by some intrepid new plugin developer (I'm half expecting TechnoRobbo to release a new version of Shape3D soon).  All in all, the benefits of 4.0 will far outweigh the drawbacks, especially in the long run.  Besides, you can always keep running them both side-by-side until you feel like you're done with the old version.

I've gotten over the drawbacks of 4.0...instantly addicted to the new features. Never going back! Not even for a silly copy/paste bug.

I do like 4 and I think the hard/soft brush along with draggable layers are it's strongest and best aspects. However my point isn't to not move to 4.0 (as I am still planing to use it more and more), it's just that I hate to see the day when version 3 becomes exiled from the forums or unavailable for download. I admit, removing a main download link to 3, and encouraging people onto 4 (the most recent version) would be good, but I would still like access to version 3 and be aloud to mingle with others about it, perhaps in it's own little dedicated area.

(I do have 3's zip already, but don't underestimate mishaps or a new PC, to where I would need to completely re-download it.)

And about the plugins, I do want to hope for the best with many of them and 4.0.

But since we don't know what will and what won't work by the time 4.0 is fully released, I think at some point, before or after it's release, a plugin request thread specifically for 4.0 would be a good idea.

(A little off topic : for any request thread, where are request threads supposed to go? Both I and noobs seem to be confused on where to request tutorials or plugins. Especially noobs, lol. I think they need a better billboard of “request here” so they stop requesting in places they shouldn't.)

[...] access to version 3 and be aloud to mingle with others about it, perhaps in it's own little dedicated area. [...]

[...] a plugin request thread specifically for 4.0 would be a good idea.

Moderating the forums and fielding troubleshooting questions is already a nightmare; remember, there are a finite number (eight) of us doing this [1] for free [2] in our (rapidly diminishing) free time.  There is no capricious or obstinate reason for banning 3.5.11 and discussion thereof, it's purely for our own sanity and to make sure that people have the best help they can get.  Imagine this discussion:

NewUser1001:  "I can't figure out how to use the soft brush and the brand-new plugin I installed doesn't work HALP PLZ"

ExperiencedPerson1:  "Well, do X and then Y, then make sure you have Z and A taken care of.  Did that work?"

NewUser1001:  "no didn't work GAH IM SUCH A TOTOL FAILYURE :-( :-( :-("

ExperiencedPerson1:  "Hmm, that's odd.  Did you make sure to do B and C, and then try X and Y?"

NewUser1001:  "YES I DID EVERYTHING TOTALLY RIGHT OMG OMG OMG"

ExperiencedPerson1:  "Hm.  Well, could you maybe...  WAIT.  What version do you have installed?"

NewUser1001:  "Um...it says Paint.NET 3.5.11.  Why?"

ExperiencedPerson1:  "I think we've discovered the problem."

NewUser1001:  "Well, why didn't you say so before?!?"

(If you can't imagine, don't worry; you won't have to imagine it in a few months, as it will happen)

(A little off topic : for any request thread, where are request threads supposed to go? Both I and noobs seem to be confused on where to request tutorials or plugins. Especially noobs, lol. I think they need a better billboard of “request here” so they stop requesting in places they shouldn't.)

If you have a question and it doesn't have a definite location (i.e. troubleshooting, 4.0 issues, etc.) put it in Paint.NET Discussion and Questions.  We don't want to put "requests here" because that would just make it sound like ONLY requests should go there; and making a specific thread for it would ensure that no one would ever have their request addressed since it would just be a cesspool of uselessness.

Good thoughts.  But think about the rest of the story.  :)

I'm maintaining a list of incompatible plugins here Clicksy. When 4.0 goes public I'll merge this list with the plugin index in some manner.

Note that many incompatibility issues can be fixed by downloading the latest version of the plugin. Most of the problems with plugins is their age (i.e. not being actively developed) or leveraging forbidden bits of Paint.NET.

Requests should generally go in the Discussion & Questions thread as David has said.

Thank you EER, and yes I do know about the incompatible plugin list. Which is unfortunately where some plugins that I like and use have ended up. Your idea of merging the index and incompatible list will be interesting. Good luck with that. :)

Off topic,

About the request stuff, I'm not sure how often you guys are moving requests from the plugin and tutorial threads, but my thoughts were partly trying to be considerate of the mods, as I thought moving less threads would be better. As things are now, it is a bit confusing on where requests go since they are not always considered a question.

A possibly silly idea is that maybe make a post/thread in the plugin/tutorial sections that say, "Make Your Tutorial Request Here", BUT then when one clicks on it, it is a locked thread that has an explanation on it and points people to the Discussion & Questions thread. I know we have the forum rules, but most noobs skip them at first. So a redirect thread with a catchy title might help for some things like requests.

Example :

In the plugin forum, make a subject/thread, or whatever is most suitable, called something similar to these,

"Make Your Plugin Request Here" Or "Plugin Requests go in the "Discussion & Questions thread"

On the inside it could be like this :

Hello! We think it's fine that you want to make a plugin request, but all requests and questions take place in this thread : *link to D&Q*

The plugin thread is for publishing only, *insert explanation on what publishing only means*, not requests. Thank You.

It's just an idea, as again, I thought less moving of misplaced threads would be easier on the mods, and as things are right now, where requests go is a little confusing.

PS: Since this is just an idea and off topic, no response to this is necessary.

Sorry for going off topic in this thread. ^^;

If the 'Resize' dialog is open and I'm activating an other application then it is not possible to reactivate Paint.NET by clicking to the Paint.NET window. Paint.NET stays in the background. This is just happening for the 'Resize' dialog. Not for 'Canvas Size' or other dialogs. It happens always. Windows 7, 64bit. Reactivating works by clicking on the dialog or via taskbar.

midoras signature.gif

Is anyone else having the problem that sometimes when you save - then re-open a file; layer Blend Modes change ?

What do they change from? What do they change to? Do you have a file that recreates this problem? I think you reported this before and I couldn't reproduce it.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I've crashed a couple more times recently when trying to undo things.

This time I haven't been working with multiple layers but i have been copy/pasting, moving, and drawing spline curves. I undid something after doing some combination of those things and it crashed. By the looks of the crashlog it seems to be some variant of the one from earlier...

http://pastebin.com/N5s8xk8q

And here's another one which I don't quite remember.

http://pastebin.com/kUfkmF7z