This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

Moderators Note: This tutorial has been rewritten by ReMake

So we are going to make this:

1.jpg

Before you start you will need following plugins:

Random Shape Fill by @pyrochild

Gradient Mapping by @pyrochild

Color Tint by @Ed Harvey (optional)

So, create a New (FileNew.png) image (File -> New). Choose any size. I'm going to use my screen resolution.

Set Primary color to 700061 (or you can choose whatever), and Secondary color to black as shown below:

2.png

Choose Gradient (Gradient-Tool.png) tool with Radial (Gradient-Type-Radial.png) mode and draw from the image center to the side as shown in the image below:

3.jpg

Add a New (Add-New-Layer.png) layer. Choose white color as a Primary color.

Apply Random Shape Fill effect (Effects -> Render -> Random Shape Fill) 

Set the controls values as shown below, you can play around with number, maximum/minimum sizes.

4.png

Add a New (Add-New-Layer.png) layer and go to the same effect. This time you can change settings a bit, but mess around only with the number, sizes and if needed randomise circles.

5.jpg

Go to Layer 2 (Properties.png), and apply Gaussian Blur (Blur-Effect.png) effect (Effects -> Blurs -> Gaussian blur). Choose radius at about 25-30 and make these circles kinda very blurry.

6.jpg

Go to Layer 3 (Properties.png). Apply Gaussian Blur (Blur-Effect.png) effect again. But this time radius should be like the half of the previous attempt, or 1-10.

7.jpg

Add a New (Add-New-Layer.png) layer. Change colors to Black and White (Black-And-White.png), as it was by default.

Apply Clouds (Clouds-Effect.png) effect (Effects -> Render -> Clouds). Choose first setting at about 240, and lower the second.

8.jpg

Change the layer's blending (Properties.png) mode to Overlay.

9.jpg

Add a New (Add-New-Layer.png) layer. Choose Gradient (Gradient-Tool.png) tool with Linear (Gradient-Type-Linear.png) mode and draw something similar to what I did in the image below.

10.jpg

Apply  Gradient Mapping adjustment (Adjustments - Gradient Mapping) with built-in Rainbow preset.

11.jpg

Then apply Gaussian Blur effect with a maximum Radius. Repeat (Ctrl+F) if necessary, but one time should be already ok.

12.jpg

Change the layer's blending (Properties.png) mode to Overlay and lower the opacity till it looks good.

13.jpg

(Optional) If you want, you can change the Layer 3 blending (Properties.png) mode to Overlay.

14.jpg

Save (Ctrl+Shift+S) project as pdn file, so you can do something else later on if needed and after that merge (Flatten-Icon.png) all layers (Image - Flatten). From this point you can choose way you want to finish your project.

Option 1:

Duplicate the layer

Apply color tint

Apply glow

Change the opacity.

Option 2:

Just apply glow

I'm going to do the first option.

So duplicate (Duplicate-Layer.png) the layer and apply Color Tint effect (Effects -> Color -> Color Tint) with any color you want.

15.jpg

Apply Glow (Glow-Effect.png) effect (Effects -> Photo -> Glow) with default settings.

16.jpg

And the last step is to change opacity (Properties.png) of the layer.

17.jpg

So that's all. Hope you like that :)

Also, I have got an tutorial in video format here: http://youtu.be/Xg1uRdWUSEU

• Upvote 4

It's called Bokeh, and it can also be done using this plugin.  :-)  Your effect gives more control over the process, though, and teaches some nice concepts.

You did a good job with the tutorial.  You do need to check out the tutorial posting rules, though.  You'll need to paste in the links to the plugins you used.  Thanks!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

It's called Bokeh, and it can also be done using this plugin.  :-)  Your effect gives more control over the process, though, and teaches some nice concepts.

You did a good job with the tutorial.  You do need to check out the tutorial posting rules, though.  You'll need to paste in the links to the plugins you used.  Thanks!

Thank you :) I have read the rules and added links to the plugins :)

ay yer the woman with the funny accent!I follow this girl on youtube.Learned a lot from her but never seen her here before.Her PDN skills are way up there.

Thank you :) I have read the rules and added links to the plugins :)

Good work!  Thanks!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

A very nice tutorial of a very nice effect kaunas163! :star:

ay yer the woman with the funny accent!I follow this girl on youtube.Learned a lot from her but never seen her here before.Her PDN skills are way up there.

Thank you :) You haven't seen me here before just because I thought that to follow video tutorials is easier than forum post, so this is why I been stuck at youtube :D

A very nice tutorial of a very nice effect kaunas163! :star:

Thank you! :)

Nice effect ... got to admit I'm not a fan of video tutorials.  A written one is easier to follow IMO.  But I guess it's horses for courses

Now I understand that I was wrong stucking just only at youtube, because for everyone the "easier" way is different and whats good for one doesn't mean for the other  :) I will try to write some of the tutorials there. Also, I will check out other people, while I have some free time :)

Edited by kaunas163

Nice tutorial kaunas, very detailed! :D

Now I understand that I was wrong stucking just only at youtube...

^ Naw, you're never wrong when sharing techniques. Whether posted here with images and text instructions or via Youtube and a video tutorial, both ways help others to learn something new and is a good thing. :D

• Upvote 1

RFX5A1.jpg

Many thanks to both of you. :star:

• Upvote 2