Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
welshblue

Realistic Roughcast Metal

40 posts in this topic

Man o man! What a great tute! I can hardly wait to try this one out. I have never used Diffuse. Thanks so much Welshy!

Thanks B'

I guess it won't go down as well as stormy seas but it's a very versatile technique.  One I'm going to explore and explore because I think the results are going to be mind blowing and innovative for a lot of objects.  Diffuse could be my new favourite plugin

One tip tho' ... on large images or thick lines, Splinter may have to be run more than twice.  Definitely a suck it and see thing

For you ...

bbq.png

Wowza.  This is superb.

Working on this one right now :) I'll post here when I'm satisfied with my result. On my first run, some of the letters melded at some points...

You've made me fall off my chair again, Welsh! Great tut, 100% sure I'll try this out some time!

Very nice tutorial Welshblue and thank you for turning me on to the diffuse plugin and where to get the Alpha Mask plugin,been looking for awhile. I had some fun with it.   ;)

metaltute-b_zps04ec630f.png

And, my result:

019savq.png

Could use a little refinement. I'll try to improve it when I have some time.

Great way to start the year!

congratz on the pin! I wish I could say I was the one who did it, but someone else got to it first...

EDIT: I was wondering if this would work on objects of varying thicknesses, so I made an attempt. You have to do the tutorial a number of times depending on how much the thickness varies and merge the results (splinter blur makes the process take a loooong time if you start with a large image). I screwed up the contrast somewhere, and it turned up blurry somehow, but I'm liking the result!

Hidden Content:
failed.png

Great examples here!

PDNNoob, what if you used a bit of trail with it? Would that make it go faster? 

Not really. I only had to merge three versions of the picture together, so trail wouldn't be the solution. Since I was starting with a 3200x2400 image, I had to max the blur distance and use it multiple times to make it cover the whole object. Otherwise, I'd end up with a big flat area in the middle.

welchblue!

Nice work! Well done. Whether this is so true, I doubt it ... Thank you so much!  <3 

9rfudyov.png

Seerose, you're totally metal.  :-)

Seerose, you're totally metal.  :-)

Yes, :) But the color is not true what? Stainless steel ...  :evillaugh: 

Edited by Seerose

Yes, :) But the color is not true what? Stainless steel ...  :evillaugh: 

Hence why I said in the beginning of the tutorial - users experiment with textures etc ;)  

I'm not a believer of holding hands through a tutorial ... as people learn more from doing their own thing IMO.  My aim is just to point the way

Nice results folks, love the glowy look skullbonz,  awesome colours together xod,  looks fine Daniels (a lil' trick I use is Chad's concrete tutorial and Invert the colours - gives a really nice overlay effect)

'Noob - what can I say ... I would bow down but my back has gone ;)  

The beauty of Diffuse is that being able to change the colours makes it so much more than Engrave/Emboss

I like this tutorial and have bookmarked it for later use. Love the results posted by people here. The passable rock (post#4) what did you start off with? That looks like it could be a good texture to use as a planet. 

Worth the pin too. 

I had in mind some jewel type image as soon as I saw the further application of this fabulous tute. 

Here is my interpretation along with the stone 101 as a background :D

th_LoveHopeJoy_zps5fef8e1b.png

As always an excellent background to bring out the 'main piece' with the colours of the text and jewels adding more complimentary impact to it all.  Beautiful interpretation

(The last time I loved Hope and Joy the wife threatened to divorce me ;))

Love conquers all. Love gives hope. Love gives joy. 

We all need some of this. Some more so. I hope my images brightens someone's day :D