Misleading download add with possible virus

hi ya'll

i just thought i let you know that there is an advertisement on your website masks itself to look like a download link

iCCjWED.png

the link leads to a download called "zip opener" ... link to site

avast bitched because of a virus positive, so i downloaded your installer from chip.de. afterwards i revisited your site and realized the deception. i hope posted it in the right forum

Unfortunately that's a pretty common problem.  Right now Rick is working hard on version 4.0 of the program, but we recommend that people use this link http://www.getpaint.net/download.html#download for now.  The other way certainly requires a bit of thinking.  :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

It's been noted frequently that some ads on the website are misleading.  Deliberately so.  See http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27383-mypcbackupcom-and-downloadsnappycom-links-sleazy/

I recommend you install an Ad Blocker or use the link David posted.

<moved from Troubleshooting to paint.net Discussion & Questions>

Wow!  Thanks so much for this info.  I think I had this issue way back when I first tired to load, but things are good so far, so guess all is well with me.  I sent the link to my daughter and friend when I found your site.  Not sure if they have tired to download anything.  I will send the link you have provided in hopes they haven't had issues..  I can't remember when it was I loaded your site, but it was confusing at the time.

Now, if I may ask... Are there ever 'updates' to Paint.net, and if so, should I follow the links you have here, or are updates automatic?

Thanks again for the information.   :) 

Edited by BBdoll3

Utilities Menu > Check For updates.  When the dialog opens the Options button gives you the ability to automatically scan for updates.