How to Install Plugins ×

Alivate Batch File Processor

merarischroeder

MODERATOR'S NOTE: This plugin may not be compatible with Paint.NET 4.0+.

Download - http://alivate.com.au/BatchProcessAutomater.zip

Please donate even $5 if this helps you - it took me about 10-14 hours to complete, and saved me 1 hr manually processing my 154 images...

$USD $ GBP £ EUR € JPY ¥ CAD $ AUD $

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It bothered me that I couldn't automate the AutoLevel Effect on a folder full of pictures, so I spent the weekend and created a solution. I'm sure the future version of PDN will include such a batch automation feature, but I couldn't wait. So here it is.

It leverage's pyrochild's ScriptLab plugin to actually apply a consistent set of plugins on each file, so make sure that's installed first. You will need to create your scripts inside PDN as usual with just the ScriptLab plugin. (The pyrochild plugin pack has a few dlls, you only technically need the ScriptLab.dll [copied into the Effects folder], but I'm sure you would copy them all)

This Batch Process Automater, iterates through a given folder and then applies the ScriptLab plugin and therefore in turn, one or more effects.

The plugin is open-source, so feel free to fork it - https://bitbucket.org/merarischroeder/pdn-batcher

Instructions:
1. Create a ScriptLab Script of the effects you want to apply. Simply open PDN, Go to Effects > Advanced > ScriptLab, and do what you have to do, before clicking Save and then cancelling out of the dialog box.
2. Close PDN
3. Open BatchProcessAutomater.exe

Configuration.png
4. Specify the Source and Output folders, these will default to your Pictures folder for your profile.
5. Specify the ScriptLab Script to run on each file.
6. Click Run

You will then see Paint.Net open, and each file will be opened one at a time with effects being applied and the updated file saved. I could hide Paint.Net, but decided to keep it visible, you can then see the outcome and perhaps make notes as the system processes through the files.

You can of course modify the Search filter which defaults to *.jpg, but at the moment the system will only save as JPG at 100 percent quality. Plenty of opportunity for improvement in the future. But I won't make any changes for a few weeks - feel free to ask for improvements or better still, send me patches to apply to the open source code base.

The next change, if any, will be the ability to supply these parameters via command line arguments, this would be quite trivial to accomplish, the Form calls a static function on the class Automation, with the parameters. Command line input would be as simple as enumerating the arguments and passing them as parameters to this same function (although this should be done from the Form load event, as the main thread needs to be running for the function to work). Anyone want to give it a go? Try and help me on the open source code?

I see opportunities for enabling the automation of

• canvas resizing
  • image resizing (although you can use the rotate/zoom plugin)
  • layer creation
  • region copying (from source layer, to destination layer plus position)
  • text generation

I'm in no hurry though, and lets see what the new version of PDN will bring.

• Upvote 3

I'd suggest putting up some screen shots and maybe moving the how-to files to your post, but this looks pretty cool! I'm impressed. Can't wait to have an excuse to use it. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 10 months later...

Great plugin but wouldn't work under the latest release of pdn.I've gone back to using 3.5.10 and the plugin works fine after some initial hiccups. Wonderful idea and makes pdn way more functional in certain areas. 

Edited by Rickhum

Sig.jpg

“Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see further.”

― Thomas Carlyle

Noted. I'm not able to test it at work, but I could see why it would fail, so I've modified the original post. Thanks, Rickhum.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

• 1 month later...

Pretty Cool!  This is just what I was looking for.  All it needs is a "Cancel" button to stop before I get through all of the files in my folder.

• 10 months later...

This is such a useful plugin for my animation projects. I'd love an updated version as it makes possible what would otherwise be undo-able. Enables some projects so that it's worth loading and unloading older versions of Pdn to use the plugin.

Sig.jpg

“Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see further.”

― Thomas Carlyle

To save the hassle of reinstalling, you could install them side by side. See http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27227-paintnet-40-alpha-build-5034/page-6#entry399792

youre right it's one of the major lack in PDN, too bad it doesn't run under 4.0.

a feature like record an action to get a script and then apply to files is eagely wanted.

Maybe hard to do, i can't figure, but needed.

• 1 month later...

You have downloaded the source code. You'd better click on the first download link at the very beginning of the first post.

Note the red advisory at the top of the first post. Alivate Batch Processor is incompatible with pdn4.

• 1 month later...

Hi -

Are there any plans to make this compatible with 4.0? I've never used this plug-in, but need the functionality. I tried to follow the advice on this thread and go back to earlier versions of paint.net, but when I did that other plugins I need to use in concert with this - like the scriptlab plugin - would not function.

If there's no plans to update this can someone who's been able to revert to paint.net 3.x post the steps they took and links to the versions of installs they used to get it working? Many thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

this looks exactly like the addon that im looking for and I've already installed PDN 3.5.10 in order for it to work but the addon link at the top seems to be down!! :(

Could someone please upload the addon again?

Cheers

Great plugin but wouldn't work under the latest release of pdn.I've gone back to using 3.5.10 and the plugin works fine after some initial hiccups. Wonderful idea and makes pdn way more functional in certain areas. 

Hey Rick, apparantly this addon doesnt work under the recent version.

The plugin author hasn't been on the forum for over two years. I doubt that the plugin is still being developed.

The incompatibility issue and the unavailability of this plugin is (to me) a compelling reason to simply lock this thread and move on.

We have been stating for some time that older versions of paint.net will not be supported. It seems reasonable to extend this to plugins that are incompatible with the latest version.

EER, I'm with you.  Locking now.

If the original developer comes back with an updated version, I'm happy to unlock; but as you noted, this seems (sadly) to be abandoned.

For a batch processor in the meantime, I recommend IrfanView.  It won't batch-apply a Paint.NET effect, but it will batch process images.

• Upvote 1