How to smooth out outlines?

Theresonly1cryo

I need to smooth outlines, and I don't really mean anti analyse it, I mean smooth the surface, here's a demonstration.

zHBXvjj.png

Is there a tool that can do so?

Edited by Theresonly1cryo

I use median (Effects>Noise>Median) for this sometimes, but it depends on the subject.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I use median (Effects>Noise>Median) for this sometimes, but it depends on the subject.

Ah, thanks, but that completely changed my picture, um.... I forgot to mention it's not just outline, but an image's outline, cheers!

Agreed with pdnnoob, median works well if the lines are %100 black and on a transparent layer.

Sorry, I actually meant an outline of an image, it's not just an outline, if you ever used Adobe Illustrator, if you trace (Silhouette) an image with a jagged, rough outline, Illustrator automatically converts it smooth, I'm looking for something similar on Paint.NET, I use Illustrator at school, don't have it at home, haha.

Add a new layer.  On the new layer trace the original bumpy lines using the line/curve tool :LineTool:

Also if you use the right mouse button you will get a bit more control on the curves. You may have to make many small lines in some cases. I recommend working each new line on a new layer until you are happy with the line & then merge it down. 

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Add a new layer.  On the new layer trace the original bumpy lines using the line/curve tool :LineTool:

I would've thought of that, but I guess that's gonna take awhile to complete, not really worth it as the result can be very inaccurate.

I would've thought of that, but I guess that's gonna take awhile to complete, not really worth it as the result can be very inaccurate.

I trace images with the line tool quite often. Unless you're trying to trace hair follicles or something equally fine, it's actually a great way to trace. If you want more detail and accuracy, use shorter lines and zoom in. The end result is often not unlike art done with adobe illustrator.

Here's something I did recently with the line tool

• Upvote 1

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I tried several things to get the result you showed, but it erases some detail. Personally, I'd retrace it. Believe me, it's a hassle especially if there are a lot of details, but the end result is nice.

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

I came up with a solution that works on the Alpha Channel - Deselect before applying.

Note it's menu is Effects->Object

If anyone thinks it has merit I will post it as a bonafide plugin. This plugin is not fond of corners.

Posted it anyways

TR's Str8Edge Plugin V1.0

Edited by TechnoRobbo

Go out there and be amazing. Have Fun, TR
TRsSig.png?raw=1
Some Pretty Pictures Some Cool Plugins

• 2 weeks later...

I came up with a solution that works on the Alpha Channel - Deselect before applying.

Note it's menu is Effects->Object

If anyone thinks it has merit I will post it as a bonafide plugin. This plugin is not fond of corners.

Posted it anyways

TR's Str8Edge Plugin V1.0

That's a very interesting plugin, cheers, I will take a look at it, really cool!