How to Install Plugins ×

TR's Distort This! - Plugin V2.7.5 (Mar 6th, 2016)

TechnoRobbo

Yes, I was clicking around quickly. I will not do it again! It is probably my aging PC.

I want you to do it again - I'm trying to make sure the software as stable as possible. I've tried but i can't reproduce the crash

Go out there and be amazing. Have Fun, TR
TRsSig.png?raw=1
Some Pretty Pictures Some Cool Plugins

This is what I just got when displacing and clicking around:

File: C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects\DistortThis.dll

Name: TRsDistortThis.EffectPlugin

Version: 2.7.2.17708

Author: TechnoRobbo

Copyright: Copyright 2013 © TechnoRobbo

Full error message: PaintDotNet.WorkerThreadException: Worker thread threw an exception ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at TRsDistortThis.EffectPlugin.Render(EffectConfigToken parameters, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs, Rectangle[] rois, Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.RenderWithClipMask(Effect effect, EffectConfigToken token, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs, Rectangle[] rois, IRenderer`1 clipMaskRenderer) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 161

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.RendererContext.RenderTile(EffectConfigToken token, Int32 tileIndex) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 141

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.RendererContext.RenderNextTile(EffectConfigToken token) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 134

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.RendererContext.RendererLoop(EffectConfigToken token) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 106

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.DrainExceptions() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 431

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.Abort() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 386

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.Start() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 332

at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.<>c__DisplayClass42_3.<RunEffectImpl>b__2() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 953

EDIT: This time it crashed as soon as I launched the effect.

Version: 2.7.2.17708

Full error message: PaintDotNet.WorkerThreadException: Worker thread threw an exception ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at TRsDistortThis.EffectPlugin.Render(EffectConfigToken parameters, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs, Rectangle[] rois, Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.RenderWithClipMask(Effect effect, EffectConfigToken token, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs, Rectangle[] rois, IRenderer`1 clipMaskRenderer) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 161

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.RendererContext.RenderTile(EffectConfigToken token, Int32 tileIndex) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 141

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.RendererContext.RenderNextTile(EffectConfigToken token) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 134

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.ThreadFunction() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 226

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.DrainExceptions() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 431

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.Abort() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 386

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.Start() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 332

at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.<>c__DisplayClass42_5.<RunEffectImpl>b__4() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 1003

Edited by Eli

No luck with the latest update:

File: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\DistortThis.dll

Version: 2.7.3.21051

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.RendererContext.RendererLoop(EffectConfigToken token) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 106

at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.<>c__DisplayClass42_6.<RunEffectImpl>b__5() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 1052

• 3 months later...

I've been using this a lot recently.
(Making a time-lapse animation of an oil painting I've been doing (yet another :roll::D ), with many photos of work in progress taken from slightly different angles.
This was ideal for correcting the images back to a rectangle. Love the keyboard arrow input, for accurate placing of the corners.)

So useful.
- Many thanks. B)

• Upvote 2

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

• 3 months later...

This plugin doesnot work properly anymore since the last windows 10 update. Sometimes it appears and other times it does not appear at all.

What can be done about this? Are there other users who have the same problem?

last windows 10 update

Works well for me on windows 10 - but I haven't had the major windows update yet?

Is 'TR's Distort this' right at the bottom of the list in Effects/Distort... does the plugin info tool-tip flash on and off?
- If that's the case, try to click to the left of the plugin info box.

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

@Jagersvrouw - It happens to me all the time.  When you move your cursor over the Plugin to open it, if the cursor is not on the very left edge - it will not open.  Once before this was reported and I think a Mod answered saying it happens when you have too many Plugins in the Effects Folder :/

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Posted 3 hours ago · Report post

@Jagersvrouw - It happens to me all the time.  When you move your cursor over the Plugin to open it, if the cursor is not on the very left edge - it will not open.  Once before this was reported and I think a Mod answered saying it happens when you have too many Plugins in the Effects Folder :/

Thank you Pixi. I think you have cracked it. I do have some 25 plugins and am still adding as I try to learn from tutorials on this site and you tube.

4 hours ago, Red ochre said:

Works well for me on windows 10 - but I haven't had the major windows update yet?

Is 'TR's Distort this' right at the bottom of the list in Effects/Distort... does the plugin info tool-tip flash on and off?
- If that's the case, try to click to the left of the plugin info box.

Thank you Red Ochre. I didnot know what the blob on the left  was for or what is was called. Now I do and it works!

• 4 months later...

Well I˝m happy to say that this plug-in worked for me. At the and of a long day yesterday - I put it to the test. It did crash paint - but I will accept the fact I was too quick in moving the control points around. This morning it worked perfectly. That red flashing warning label does mean something. B)

MGT9iTs.png

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

And yet it again it crashed - here s the report for you this time

Version: 2.7.4.31014
      Full error message: PaintDotNet.WorkerThreadException: Worker thread threw an exception ---> System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: must be positive
Parameter name: width:Int32=0
   at PaintDotNet.Diagnostics.ValidationExtensions.ThrowValidationException(Validation validation) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Diagnostics\ValidationExtensions.cs:line 955
   at PaintDotNet.Surface..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, SurfaceCreationFlags surfaceCreationFlags) in D:\src\pdn\src\Core\Surface.cs:line 221
   at TRsDistortThis.EffectPlugin.myRender(Surface dst, Surface src, Rectangle rect)
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.RenderWithClipMask(Effect effect, EffectConfigToken token, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs, Rectangle[] rois, IRenderer`1 clipMaskRenderer) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 169
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.RendererContext.RenderTile(EffectConfigToken token, Int32 tileIndex) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 149
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.RendererContext.RenderNextTile(EffectConfigToken token) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 141
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.ThreadFunction() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 238
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.DrainExceptions() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 418
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.Abort() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 374
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.Start() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 320
   at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.<>c__DisplayClass42_3.<RunEffectImpl>b__2() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 953

MGT9iTs.png

Unfortunately TechnoRobbo hasn't been on the forum for ages, so it's unlikely to get fixed soon.

I did a quick test and no crashes - can you remember exactly how you crashed it?

Best to save your image before using this one then.

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Pushing it to its limits I˝m sure.  Moving the mouse too quickly and playing with the slide bars. I appreciate the calculations it has to perform to render the image I was looking for. It works with simple images - but if one image has a lot of other enhancements applied to to it - it taxes his plug-in. Nothing lost of great importance. I did notice a different way it crashed from the first time a plug-in did it. This is the one that doesn't create a crash log and recommends to restart paint instead of just crashing to the desktop. I think that˝s a positive sign. I see he has made a lot of plug-ins. Hope he returns soon. 

but if one image has a lot of other enhancements applied to to it - it taxes his plug-in

Digital images are just a collection of integer numbers between 0 and 255!
Obviously they mean more to us than they do to the computer.
For a 'bitmap' program like Pdn, it makes little difference to the computer if the image is a blank canvas or has had umpteen effects applied to it... just numbers.
Well, not even that, just switches turned off or on (or undecided if the voltage is wrong)... as I understand it.:/

In other words it shouldn't crash because you've applied too many effects to an image. It could crash if you're moving the controls too much and not letting it 'catch up'.
(Installing too many effects can slow down the start time of Pdn - but only if you have hundreds):)

Yes, TechnoRobbo is much missed - a very bright and helpful person. I believe he is alive and well but understandably devoting less time to Pdn.

PdnForumSig2.jpg

30 minutes ago, Red ochre said:

It could crash if you're moving the controls too much and not letting it 'catch up'.

exactly what I was doing. As I get more familiar with the different plug-ins I will learn each ones limitations. Up to about 140 now and this is really the second one that has crashed paint. I remember when apps would crash the computer and introduce us to the blue screen.

MGT9iTs.png

On 2/8/2017 at 7:09 PM, Red ochre said:

It could crash if you're moving the controls too much and not letting it 'catch up'.

It could, but it really shouldn't.

In the coming days, I'm going to have a close look at the code, and see what's going on there.

EDIT: I spent about 30 minutes trying to get it to crash, and I was unsuccessful.

If I can't get it to crash, I can't know where the issue is in the code. It's like a needle in a haystack.

Edited by toe_head2001

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab