Simple shaded 3D-esque text

Apokolypze

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

Hello all :smile:

Found a nice looking 3dish text effect, its very simple but I think the effect is nice.

^To that effect, if admin types feel that this is better placed in the beginner tut forum, go ahead and move it ^

Ok! So.. on to the tut!

Plugins you will need : Zero. None. Zip.

Fonts used (optional) : http://fontzone.net/font-details/copperplate-gothic-bold

If you follow this tut to the letter, you will make this :

ouqnpy.jpg

However, this is only an example of a basic way to do this, please remember that experminentation and deviation are the best ways to find new things and have fun on PDN 😃

Ok! Step by Step :

Step 1 : The Background

You can essentially pick anything, but for this tut im using a simple color gradiant from #606060 at the bottom left to #808080 by the top right.

The Size of the image we will be creating for the tut is 1024x200

Step 2 : The Base Text

You can use essentially any font, but for the tut im using Copperplate Gothic Bold.

1. Make a New Layer, name it "Base Text"
  2. Create your desired text, in whatever color you wish. Note:
    Initial text should be a few shades darker than you want your final
    result to be, although messing with curves can fix colors when you are
    done.

For the above image i used 84 pt font in #404040

The Image So Far :

f1jq7k.jpg

Step 3 : The Shadow

1. Duplicate your text layer, call the new layer Shadow
  2. Select the area inside all the text letters simultaneously ( :MagicWandTool: Tool, Hold SHIFT and left click on a letter)
  3. Color selected area black (still on shadow layer) ( :PaintBucket:, SHIFT + Left Click)
  4. Move Shadow layer underneath base text layer
  5. Select All (Still on shadow layer)
  6. Using :MoveTool: , move to the Left 5 pixels (i just hit the left arrow key 5 times)
  7. Run Gaussian Blur (Effects - Blurs - Gaussian) at 5 (or the same as the distance you moved the shadow layer)
  8. Deselect

The Image So Far :

3163n69.jpg

Step 4 : Shading the text

1. Select the Base Text Layer
  2. Run Glow :GlowEffect: on Radius 6, Brightness 10, Contrast 10 (Radius should be 1 more than the blur on shadow)
  3. Duplicate Base Text Layer, and call the new layer Shading
  4. Run Emboss at 45
  5. Change Layer Blend mode to Overlay
  6. Select the Base Text Layer
  7. Select all the text again, same way as last time
  8. Select the Shading layer
  9. Press CTRL - I to invert selection
  10. Delete selection
  11. Finally, Run Gaussian blur on the shading layer at strength 2 (again, may change based on text size)

The Final Image :

2qdoema.jpg

Moving on from here :

This is by no means the end of what you can do with it, but this is the base effect that the tut is for. A quick example of what i've done with this is below 😃

2q8ngba.jpg

Hope you guys found the tutorial useful, C&C is appreciated as i am still new to tutorial making. Remember, feel free to play around and have fun! I'd love to see what you all do with it 😃

• Upvote 3

Hello Apokolyppze,
Well done! - good clear tutorial - it must be, I don't normally finish them!
My result (as instructions top and my own take below).
l8hW6lw.jpg

Suggestions/feedback:
May be worth adding where the effects are eg. Effects/Photo/Glow, and how to rename layers (for new users).
May be worth adding numbers for the sub-steps so new users can tell us exactly where (if) they are stuck.
Some left/right confusion on step 3 bullet point 6?

Finally, I like the way you create your shadows on there own layer - that's how I do it - makes it easier to change the lighting angle at a latter stage.

• Upvote 2

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

@RedOchre Love the 2nd one, it really pops out at me! Also, fixed the left/right thing.. cant believe i missed that, thanks! The suggestions are awesome too, ill definately include them next time.

@doughty i didnt think the shading would work as well for wide text areas like that but the effect you have there looks really cool!

Nice result with the tutorial and tutorial resultees

... would be quicker on step 2 to set the magic wand to global, then click on the text - saves doing each letter individually

You dont have to do each letter individually. Shift-clicking with default magic wand does the same thing as global magic wand (if that is the step you are talking about)

Thanks Apokolypze. Oops...Yes, I was having a little trouble with another font I was trying to use. Silly me didn't realize a thinner font works best. I was just glad it worked with color. Thanks for the tutorial I really like the effect.

Red Ochre love your raised text look.

Nitenurse love that color. Nice work. :D

Yep, Shift click.

SloppySig.png

• 2 weeks later...

My try:

NEAR%20FAR_SIMPLE%20SHADED%203D-ESQUE%20

¬¬ I have a feeling it needs some more work.

Edited by Beta0
Re-linking images

(Please, be careful. Some of the sites I'm on might not be family-friendly. 😱 )

@Beta The effect on the "near" text is actually quite striking, i like it =) The "far" one seems a little blurred out to me, but that might just be the resolution of the image.

@Welsh Thanks =) I had to go up and make sure i shift clicked too so.. ;P

@Doughty Thicker fonts can work well, but the emphasis ends up more on the shadow than the "roundness" of the text. you end up with a sort of "rounded edges" effect on the text itself, which in itself is quite a unique and fun looking effect.

• Upvote 1

On 6/24/2013 at 0:30 PM, Apokolypze said:

Apokolypze, on 24 Jun 2013 - 04:42, said:

@Beta The effect on the "near" text is actually quite striking, i like it =) The "far" one seems a little blurred out to me, but that might just be the resolution of the image.

@Welsh Thanks =) I had to go up and make sure i shift clicked too so.. ;P

@Doughty Thicker fonts can work well, but the emphasis ends up more on the shadow than the "roundness" of the text. you end up with a sort of "rounded edges" effect on the text itself, which in itself is quite a unique and fun looking effect.

Thank you. Because you answered me with honesty. I mean it. :']

I was aiming for 'far' to be blurred since...well, it was far away. I guess it didn't work well. Better do it again! X]

Oh! And thanks for the tutorial. X]

Edit: Here's the new outcome. :]

NEAR%20FAR_REWORKED.png

Edited by Beta0
Re-linking images
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Sorry for the delay, been gone for a while due to real life being annoying

@Beta : love the new effect, the angle really adds to it =D

Thanks. :]

I missed this altogether! Good looking tute & very nice results from all.

Thanks. ^^

• 4 weeks later...

Red Ochre, how did you get yours so 3-D???  This looks great!!  But I can't duplicate it.

Will you be willing to share how? :-))

Edited by TurnAround165

TurnAround165,

It was a while back but I'll try to remember + I'm terrible at explaining things!

1st one is exactly as the tutorial describes. I think this leaves you with 3 layers: background layer, flat shadow layer and a shaded text layer on top.

From there I (think) -

1. Duplicate text layer.
2. Add lighting to the duplicate text layer using the 'bevel object' plugin - (one of mine I'm afraid - can be slow if the 'object' is big).
3. Used 'Overblur' at a small radius to smooth out the lighting a touch - leave other slider on default. (guilty of that one too).
4. Decrease the transparency of this layer a little so it blends with the original text layer below - when happy merge them down into one layer.
5. Shadow layer - I think I probably used 'zoom blur' on the existing shadow layer with the focal point in the same position as the light source was for the text layer. Possibly move the layer down a bit too. Possibly use some Gaussian blur to soften the edges if it is further away.
You need to think and imagine where the shadow would be for a certain light source really - You will probably know instinctively if looks wrong.
6. Background - 'Gradients Galore' plugin (Guess who?) - simple gradient - could be done with built in gradient tool holding 'shift' to kep it straight. Then applied 'Overblur' again this time with the lower slider towards overblur - to get the speckled texture.

The links to my plugins are in my sig (Bevel object is not in the pack but look to the bottom of that page for the link).

More generally - I think light and shadow in perspective give a better illusion of depth than parallel light. Sounds extreme but don't be afraid to play with a torch (flashlight?) a flat surface and a real object, to understand how shadows work. Also look up 'Trompe l'oeil' paintings (I can't pronounce it either!).

Finally, thanks for the compliment and apologies to Apokolypze for hijacking her thread. Her original tutorial is a clever way to make 3D text without using plugins.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi Zachtheboss157!  Welcome to the forum. <3

Thank you very much for the video.  That's a pretty good idea.  :cake:  :coffee:

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

• 3 months later...

this is what I got and tweeked just a little very good tutorial thank you

copperplate.jpg

shadowa.jpg

Edited by butterfly8000
adding new picture
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2013 at 7:52 AM, chimay12321 said:

Great tutorial! Clear and a nice outcome!

Nice outcome, beta, really neat!

Thanks. :] (Sorry for the 4 year delay. :()

<3 @Beta0!

Thank you so much. :cake: :coffee:

With the shadow does not fold

13-03-2017.png

Edited by Seerose
  • Upvote 1

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png