Hi-Resolution Carbon Fiber Tutorial

RFX

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

This tutorial will show you how to create high-resolution carbon fiber textures from scratch like the ones shown below. Feel free to use any method you prefer to get the desired effects if it's easier for you.

zcfpat10.png

1) Start with a new canvas 10 pixels wide by 20 pixels high. Set zoom level to 2100% for a bigger view. "Pixel Grid" is below the "Window" tab and makes section division easy.

zcf0110.jpg

2) Use any method to color in 5 areas from dark gray at the top to white at the bottom.

zcf0210.jpg

3) Go to "Effects / Blur / Gausian Blur" to blend the areas smoothly.

zcf0310.jpg

4) Go to "Image / Canvas Size" and resize the canvas to 20 pixels in width then anchor the base image to the right.

zcf0410.jpg

5) Copy the base image but exclude the new area.

zcf0510.jpg

6) Paste the bottom half of the copied base image into the new canvas area at the top.

zcf0610.jpg

7) Paste the top half of the copied base image to the adjacent section in lower left corner.

zcf0710.jpg

😎 Copy the entire image as your new base image and resize the canvas to 40 pixels in width then anchor the image to right side.

zcf0810.jpg

9) Repeat step #8 by copy & pasting until you get to 160 pixels in width. Do the same process for the height until the base image is 160 pixels in width and height.

You can use the weave plug in if you prefer. I use hotkeys as it's easier for me.

CTRL + A = select all

CTRL + C = copy

CTRL + SHIFT + R = resize canvas

CTRL + V = paste

zcf0910.jpg

10) Your image should resemble carbon fiber but needs a few touches to look realistic.

zcf1010.jpg

11) Go to "Adjustments / Levels" with these settings to make the image darker.

Input     Output

255       94      

19         0

zcf1110.jpg

12) Resize the image from 160 pixels width & height, to 800 pixels width & height.

zcf1210.jpg

13) Go to "Effects / Add noise" and set the intensity between 5% to 30% with no color saturation for a variance in the texture surface grain.

zcf1310.jpg

14) Go to "Effects / Photo / Sharpening" to enhance the image slightly while giving the vertical lines in the texture a tapered look.

zcf1410.jpg

15) Go to "Layers / Rotate & Zoom" and click "Tiling" then zoom out as desired.

zcf1510.jpg

16) Add a duplicate layer then go to "Adjustments / Brightness & Contrast" and make the upper layer brighter than the lower layer.

zcf1610.jpg

17) Use the Image Merging Tool to fade the top layer onto the bottom layer giving it a more realistic look. For settings, use "gradient / linear / transparency mode".

zcf1710.jpg

18) You're done! Even at 500% magnification, the pattern looks extremely detailed.

zcf1810.jpg

Edited by Pixey
Added new PDF link
  • Upvote 2

RFX5A1.jpg

A good effect, but I have some questions.

1 - How do you get the lines on the canvas in step#1 ?

2 - Where is this "image merging tool" described in step#17? 

It would help new users (like me) understand. Thank you. :)

• Upvote 1

Y7O8WRy.png

A good effect, but I have some questions.

1 - How do you get the lines on the canvas in step#1 ?

2 - Where is this "image merging tool" described in step#17? 

It would help new users (like me) understand. Thank you. :)

I think step #1 is achieved by using this plugin http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=4175 (Grid maker) and step #17 is using the gradient tool set on Linear.

• Upvote 1

ZXCBOoZ.png

Step #1 is done by turning on the pixel grid. If you look at the screenshot, there is a button with a grid highlighted in red at the top. Click on that to toggle the pixel grid.

• Upvote 1

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Step #1 is done by turning on the pixel grid. If you look at the screenshot, there is a button with a grid highlighted in red at the top. Click on that to toggle the pixel grid.

I stand corrected. Step #1 should also say "zoom in on your canvas" that would help a little ;)

• Upvote 1

ZXCBOoZ.png

Thanks everyone as your feedback is hugely appreciated!  toast.gif

- Added a note for the "Pixel Grid" on step #1
- Added URL link to the "Image Merging" thread on step #17
- Added "Effects / Adjustments / Images" for tool locations in bold & more details on settings
- Revised entire BB code as I did it by hand and had an excess amount of and tags

Edited by RFX
  • Upvote 1

RFX5A1.jpg

By duplicating the final image and using some colour balance / blend modes and then clipwarp on the text, I got this result. Nice tute to follow, thank you for making it RFX :)

carbontutorialresult_zps12725836.png

• Upvote 2

swIFX9v.png

Thanks Helen and Sasha! :D The images you've both created look fantastic, Sasha's even looks like real knitting! I'm thankful the tutorial was helpful as it's a texture I create quite often and wanted to share with everyone so you guys can create it too lol. Cheers! toast.gif

RFX5A1.jpg

• 11 months later...

Ugh @ Imageshack... I contacted them as someone or something made my images go poof, my account is there along with the hosted image pages but the links to the images are all broken somehow. I'm going to re-host the images and will have it fixed within a few minutes of this post. Sorry for the inconvenience to anyone. :(

update: ...and done! This is the only tutorial I made and needed to be fixed, I'll do the other posts later. Thank god most are old and buried by now.

Edited by RFX

RFX5A1.jpg

• 9 months later...