How to Install Plugins ×

TR's Edge Fader Extreme V 5.3.5 (June 15th 2014)

TechnoRobbo

Great for creating faux frames on a new layer after running the effect. Only one issue, after opening the plug in and setting the slider to 18 (as I did on the below image) The slider value jumped to 20 :/

testingtesting_zps2dd3a7a2.png

• Upvote 1

iNUIdNo.jpg

Only one issue, after opening the plug in and setting the slider to 18 (as I did on the below image) The slider value jumped to 20  :/

Fixed -trap "value change" instead of "end of scroll" gave you a longer slider to help fine tune.

Updated to Version 5.0.2

Is the image a TechnoRobbo reference????

Edited by TechnoRobbo

Go out there and be amazing. Have Fun, TR
TRsSig.png?raw=1
Some Pretty Pictures Some Cool Plugins

Is the image a TechnoRobbo reference????

Purely a coincidence ;)  Call it a tribute.

Thanks for the update, works much better now. 

(edit)

Forgot to say thank you to EER & barbieq.

Edited by Lloyd
  • Upvote 1

iNUIdNo.jpg

Katzenfreund, Maybe Version 5.0.0 is more your speed.

Available Now.

It certainly is, it’s turbo charged now, the improvement is impressive. A great tool made perfect by capably removing its few weaknesses. And it’s good to know that users’ comments are listened to, that’s the formula for software perfection.

It is also particularly appreciated that it works with Paint.NET v3.5.11 for us stuck on Windows XP which does not support version 4.

Thanks and kudos again.

• Upvote 1

All things are difficult before they are easy.  (Thomas Fuller)

My signature was really annoying, so BoltBait deleted it. I should probably read rule #13 of the forum rules.

• 2 weeks later...

The effect of Edge Fader Extreme is similar to that of Alpha Blur which I had just recently added after seeing one tutorial video from Yellowman.

The advantage of EFX from Alpha Blur is that it does not need to be used on a selection and its somewhat easier to use.

I have tried v. 5.0.3. My suggestion is a rollback  of the user interface. It looked better, neater and more simplified to me when it was on version 4.x. Instead of a little preview window, it should preview on the object on the layer itself and would just undo itself when cancelled or closed. And it should have a Cancel button too.  Don't know why it was taken off. The slider should have something like an "intensity" label next to it and I don't know why it looks like a horizontal scroll bar now.

Like Drewdale, I also had a problem with the speed of its processing. It took maybe close to 20 seconds to blur a 280x300 object on a 800x600 canvas with a setting of 38. I am using Windows 7 SP1, on a netbook with 2GBs RAM and an Intel Atom Processor but I did not have this issue with most of the plugins I tried. I use PDN version 3.5.11.

I see  good potential with this plugin. Hope you'll continue to make it better.

Edited by Ishi

It took maybe close to 20 seconds to blur a 280x300 object on a 800x600 canvas with a setting of 38

Ishi, That speed is way too slow make sure you have v 5.0.3 when you hover over the plugin with your mouse.

I can see 5.0.1 being that slow but 5.0.3 is a huge change in the code.

EFXEXAMPLE.png?raw=1

Hover your mouse over the menu and see if you see the description above.

The preview is intended to judge the blur before you commit. Since it using a single threaded edge detection algorithm preview full scale may take along time on a 5000 X 3000 Pixel image. The "X" on the form works like the cancel so I didn't see the reason to have both.

I believe DrewDale made his last comment in July when the code was not using LockBits and the speed was way slower. EFX's DLL  Current Creation filedate is 12/3/2013 Modification Date 12/15/2013 (EdgeFader.dll)

Here's a test I conducted based on your specs:

Expand it to fullscreen to see the data better.

Edited by TechnoRobbo

TRsSig.png?raw=1

Eli,

I like this plugin. It works great on smaller images. But for some reason paint.net crashes when I apply the effect to larger images.

Eli, I just Uploaded 5.0.4 it reduces memory usage by 3 - try it again with your large image and see if it crashes.

Edited by TechnoRobbo

TRsSig.png?raw=1

What size image? Maybe I can make some adjustments

Thankyou for your response.

I downloaded the update but I still have the same problem.

These are the dimensions of the image I was working on:  Width 6000pixels Height 4500 pixels Resolution 600 pixels per inch. Paint.net crashes even if I want to apply the effect to a very small are of the image.

I tried reducing the resolution, but it did not work.

I tried at 4000 pixels by 3000 at 6000 pixels per inch and it did not work.

I reduced the size to 3000pixels by 2250 at 6000 pixels per inch and the plugin works great. (In fact, it works when the image is resized up to around 3350  by 2513 pixels at 600pixels per inch)

Thanks for your response again.

Edited by Eli

Thanks for the reply.

My specs are Windows 7 Starter SP1, 2GBs of RAM and an Intel Atom Processor 1.60 GHz. running Paint.NET 3.5.11. The one one your video has higher specs and was using alpha build of Paint.NET 4.

Hovering the mouse over the plugin does not display its details on Paint.NET 3.5.11 unlike on the alpha build of 4.0 you are using.

I did mention I was using  EFX 5.0.3 but I forgot to mention that it was also the first version I tried. Here's a screenshot.

EFX503.png

I again tried it on a 218x157 object. Turns out, it would still work even inside a selection. I then tried it without any selection active in my current layer where the object is sitting. It took more than 20 seconds to process either way in both attempts. I guess my specs had some trouble handling it, really.

Edited by Ishi

Ishi, it's probably the specs. Sorry I can't speed it up more for you. 

Eli,

I definitely can help you! I've uploaded version 5.0.5. I have tested it numerous times on 6000 X 4500 images pixels with complex unconnected alpha masks at 255 pixel fades. 

It may take a while but no crash! 

Edited by TechnoRobbo

TRsSig.png?raw=1

That does not explain why I have not had as much delay issues with other plugins, despite my specs, except when I'm working with very huge images.

I can't be sure.

You might be testing this on the PDN v.4  alpha builds, not sure if you test this on PDN 3.5.11 and below.

Ishi,

Most plugins are multi-threading - they handle different parts of the image simultaneously. This accounts for their speed. This usually limits the algorithm to being a filter.

This plugin is single-threading because it has to pre-process the image as a whole repeatedly before applying the math. all parts of the image are processed multiple times sequentially. 

Unlike most edge faders that blur the alpha channel this one actually fades from the edge of the transparency inwards by mapping the edges then creating a receding effect allowing 256 levels of fade and complex non-continuous masks.Those were the requirements I used developing the plugin and those requirements would not be met using multi-threaded code. I at least, could not find a way or I would have wrote it that way.

Hope this makes sense.

Edited by TechnoRobbo
  • Upvote 1

TRsSig.png?raw=1

Ishi, it's probably the specs. Sorry I can't speed it up more for you. 

Eli,

I definitely can help you! I've uploaded version 5.0.5. I have tested it numerous times on 6000 X 4500 images pixels with complex unconnected alpha masks at 255 pixel fades. 

It may take a while but no crash! 

Yes, version 5.0.5 can now handle my large images . Although Paint.net "SOMETIMES" chrashes when I try to fade it above 19. It's strange, I think that at some point my system runs out of memory. Thanks for the update.

Edited by Eli

Ishi,

Most plugins are multi-threading - they handle different parts of the image simultaneously. This accounts for their speed. This usually limits the algorithm to being a filter.

This plugin is single-threading because it has to pre-process the image as a whole repeatedly before applying the math. all parts of the image are processed multiple times sequentially. 

Unlike most edge faders that blur the alpha channel this one actually fades from the edge of the transparency inwards by mapping the edges then creating a receding effect allowing 256 levels of fade and complex non-continuous masks.Those were the requirements I used developing the plugin and those requirements would not be met using multi-threaded code. I at least, could not find a way or I would have wrote it that way.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the explanation TechnoRobbo.

• 2 months later...

Perfect for my needs, thank you!!

I would add keywords to the post to make it easier to find for nobs like me  :D

Keywords I used initially:  edge soften, edge blur

Also, it took a little searching to find it.  It would be helpful to know that the plugin shows up in the menu as Effects > Object > TRs EFX...

Thanks again!