How to Install Plugins ×

Octagonal/Quad reshape/matte

evanolds

Pretty much stuff you can already do with PDN, but I thought I'd upload it anyway.

Let's you reshape the image or crop the image to an arbitrary quad or octagonal region.

OctQuad.png

OQAction320.png

Right click to constrain to a rectangle when working with a quad.

Download from this thread:

Last Update: March 20, 2007

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
Updated link to DLL
  • Upvote 2

There are no warranties whatsoever on my plug-ins. Use them at your own risk. You may redistribute them if you'd like, but I'd prefer you just link to the download on my site. Please do not modify and redistribute.

It's not often that such a great plugin is published. Thanks evanolds.

It does look a little jaggie when you reshape images though. Perhaps some anti alaising would help. Also some fine tuning for the nodes would make a very helpful addition to the interface.

Edit: Also I think some of the extra control points don't warp the image properly when you use 8 control points.

The top middle and bottom middle ones do this to the image where as the left middle and right middle ones work perfectly.

jesuslv9.png

Wow, this would be great for doing things like barkbark does, with the 3d effect.. *hoping i'm talking about the right person*

Yeah, I've done it, but the credit goes to Buzzkill for thinkin' of it. He's also pretty good at making the s/w display boxes.

evanolds, it seems like aatwo's mention of the jaggies is correct. take a look at Madjiks oblique code. He implemented the antialiasing function into it. if I remember correctly he just used what was in the source for the polar inversion effect.

Other than that it looks great.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
It does look a little jaggie when you reshape images though.

Added edge feathering option.

New download link:

http://www.evanolds.com/dl/OctQuad.zip

Please let me know if you find any problems with it.

There are no warranties whatsoever on my plug-ins. Use them at your own risk. You may redistribute them if you'd like, but I'd prefer you just link to the download on my site. Please do not modify and redistribute.

• 4 weeks later...

Feather doesn't work if object is in center of transparent area.

Repro:

Draw a filled shape(Circle/Rectangle) on a transparent layer.

Apply Reshape effect w/ Feather Edge turned on.

------------------------------------------------------------

P.S.

Evanolds,

(No offense to BoltBait)I much prefer your version of the feather effect...

Is there a standalone version in the works? *prays the answer is yes*

Or, BoltBait, maybe you could modify your plugin to work similar to Evanolds' effect.

Feather doesn't work if object is in center of transparent area.

Yes, it is designed to feather the edges of the polygon, not any image sections within the polygon. This is conceptually appropriate for the plug-in and will not be changed.

Is there a standalone version in the works? *prays the answer is yes*

I considered this a while back and rather quickly regected the idea. First off, you can't feather a selection in PDN the way you can in Photoshop because it's a binary selection system and it can't be modified by effect plug-ins. So I can't do it due to that reason. But I bet a lot of people would just like a "feathered delete" effect that deletes the edges of the selected area, and this of course technically can be done but I probably won't do that either. The way my algorithm works is polygon-region-based and the original polygonal region (or collection of polygonal regions) that represents the selection is not passed to the effect plug-in.

For example, when you do the freeform selection (correct me if I'm wrong on these next few points Rick) you are just defining a polygonal region with a high enough number of edges to make it look smooth. This polygonal region is converted to a series of rectangles which will simplify the task of applying a basic effect, but make it so your effect plug-in has lost the original polygon data. The PdnRegion class seems to be wrapping around the .NET Region class a bit, and the .NET Region class doesn't give you access to polygon data either.

Or, BoltBait, maybe you could modify your plugin to work similar to EvanOlds' effect.

His may be more technically correct. I'm not sure what Photoshop and the Gimp use internally, but I heard from a forum post somewhere that Gimp uses a gaussian blur to do it, and I believe that's exactly what BoltBait is doing. I did it "my own way" which seems logical (weighted transparency adjustment based on physical distance from pixel to region edge) so it's completely different in concept.

It'll be in the back of my mind, but I doubt I'll ever be able to implement a generic feathering effect for PDN unless the internals of the effect system change quite a bit.

First off, you can't feather a selection in PDN the way you can in Photoshop because it's a binary selection system and it can't be modified by effect plug-ins.

Yeah, I knew that.

But, I would be happy if the "feathering" started right inside the edge of the selection path and the work its way inward. This way the pixels right inside the selection path would be completely transparent and whatever control was in place would just determine how far the effect retreated inward. Its not just same as PS or Gimp but it would be ever so useful.

I know, it'll never happen...

Thanks for your response though.

• 2 months later...

Hi Evanolds,

Wonder if your plugin can have a feature that will enable pictures to be fitted to the sides of a box easily (when used with shape3D plugin). The four corners of the side of the box can easily be determined by the user by placing the mouse cursor over each corner.

Would it be possible for the plugin to then use these known positions of the side of the box as the new positions of the picture?

Hopefully, yes!

Regards,

David

If you use shape3d, you won't need to do that. just place all the "sides/images" of you box corrctly.

Then click shape3d = done.

However, this plugin is very very useful, and I think if possible, there should be some updates and more controls. :)

If Evanolds does not have time to do it, maybe someone else can???

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

However, this plugin is very very useful, and I think if possible, there should be some updates and more controls. :)

If Evanolds does not have time to do it, maybe someone else can???

Oh just exactly what I was wishing for just the other day on the general board. I use this plug in in my drawings almost every day. The little red bird I did was 3d and then this plug in and tint almost exclusively.

two more point each side would be perfect!

on knees begging :wink:

Hi Ash,

Don't really how to align all the images before using shape3D.

I have used a single picture, applied the shape3D plugin, and then seen the picture on all the four sides of the box.

Do you mean to say there's a way to align diferent pictures before using shape3D so that each picture goes to a different face of the box?

Would appreciate pictures and a tutorial if that were possible!

Regards,

David

Go here: http://mkt.t-cat.biz/pdn/7.htm

MKT's site, it's mostly in japanese, but I believe there are enought images for you to understand even if you don't know japanese.

If you have more questions, you can either post it in shape3d, or Q&GD, or PM me, lets only talk about Octagonal/Quad reshape/matte plugin in here :)

PS. It's always a mouth full to say or type this pugin......also time for a rename :) How about just reshape/matte?

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

ash, where are you from?

you dont have to tell me if you dont want to, but you know a lot of japanese, so im just wondering...

"No. Dreaming is illegal."~Pyrochild