[Request][Solved] Saving JPEGs with interlacing?

Eagle

Hey guys,

I'd like to know if there's a chance that PDN will offer an option to save JPEG-files with interlacing since PSP or PS can do this and IMHO Gimp can do it, too.

Thanks in advance,

Martin.. :)

Edited by Eagle
Request fulfilled.

John Fitzgerald Kennedy: „And do the other things, not because they’re easy, but because they’re hard.“

I've never used the interlacing feature on ps (and probably never will).

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

????

"Interlace is a technique of improving the picture quality of a video transmission without consuming any extra bandwidth. It was invented by RCA engineer Randall C. Ballard in the 1930s [1] [2]. It was ubiquitous in television until the 1970s, when the needs of computer monitors resulted in the reintroduction of progressive scan. While interlace can improve the resolution of still images, it can cause flicker and various kinds of distortion. Interlace is still used for most standard definition TVs, and the 1080i HDTV broadcast standard, but not for LCD, micromirror (DLP), or plasma displays, which are inherently progressive scan. These devices require some form of deinterlacing which can add to the cost of the set. Nevertheless as of 2006, progressive displays now dominate the HDTV market."

-Wiki

HellRiverSig3_stretch.png

Hellfire, thanks for making this clear. :)

I do need interlacing because of images being shown faster (less quality is ok, since it updates the quality level with every reload) on the web instead of loading images line by line.. - AFAIK, there are tools around which can even control *how many* times the procedure repeats itself till the final image is shown.

John Fitzgerald Kennedy: „And do the other things, not because they’re easy, but because they’re hard.“

Interlacing image files is not the same as interlacing video images.

With image files it is mostly used as Eagle said. Instead of the image file appearing on a webpage from top to bottom it shows up kind of spread out and the viewer can get an idea of the whole picture before it is completely downloaded.

"While interlace can improve the resolution of still images, it can cause flicker and various kinds of distortion."

idk, I didn't know what it was either so I wiki'ed it.

HellRiverSig3_stretch.png

So, will it be supported? If so, can I get an ETA (something like "within 3 months" or so)? :)

• 10 years later...

Sure, I'm obviously the only person requesting it so far. But I find it hard to believe that I'm the only person in need of it.

Interlacing is _the_ technique when it comes to loading and rendering images on small-bandwidth devices (e. g. mobile phones on lower networks with EDGE or something like that) whenever you want to prevent that "line by line"-loading misery.

I didn't ask for an implementation, not even "right now, because you have to". I politely asked to put it onto the roadmap for "vANY".

But alright, I get the point of yours.

The OptiPNG plugin supports interlacing.

• Upvote 1

While I'm thankful for that hint, it seems that OptiPNG doesn't support interlacing of JPG files. :(

Yeah. JPG was specified.

Not sure why you want to save in JPG, though, there are better formats out there (depending on what type of graphics you are working with).

If you are working with any sort of transparency, animation or just want to preserve quality... then JPG isn't for you. WebP, an opensource format, is similar to PNG except that it supports animation (to my knowledge), and has an option for lossy compression (though it is still a lot smarter than JPG, and thus will have less of a loss in quality). You can actually get a plug-in for Paint.NET to support WebP graphics.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, it's less about what is technically possible, but instead more about what the customer requests.. :-/

But again, I'm thankful for the additional hint about WebP. I didn't even know it exists.

Edited by Eagle

What you are referring to as interlacing is known as a Progressive JPEG.

My Optimized JPEG file type plugin supports saving progressive JPEG files, it uses jpegtran to optimize JPEG images.

To use it you would select the Progressive radio button in the Encode Options.

• Upvote 2

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Thanks, @null54 for the link. Indeed, I meant progressive JPG.

But just like OptiPNG, downloading the files, copying them into [PDN-root]\FileTypes folder, (re-)starting PDN and saving a blank image as either JPG or PNG just brings up the normal PDN dialog, no enhanced features are shown.

Are you guys willing to help me out one more time? :)

Well, restarting PDN for a second time (just started it to double check I'm not blind) offered me those options.

Thanks again, issues resolved! :)