Transparent Grid or Transparent Hexes

raumac

Hello, I tried searching the forums for "Transparent Grid" and "Transparent Hex", but I could not find anything.

I would like to create an image which is a Transparent Grid or Hex which I could lay over other images, like maps for roleplaying games.

I tried to use the eraser tool to remove all the white space from the image "TransparentHexes.png" (see attached). It was long and labor intensive, but when I tried to copy the image and lay it over another image, it removed the transparent parts and made them white space again, completely covering the underlaying image.

I figured there must be an easier way. Perhaps there is a way to use the "Paint Bucket" to replace white with transparent? And how do I lay a mostly transparent grid over another image?

Any tips or hints?

Thank you,

Rau Mac

post-92915-0-66880200-1351792938_thumb.p

Use the 'Magic Wand' tool with a low tolerance and flood mode global to select the hexagons. Then press Delete.

To create an overlay you have to put the result to a new layer on top of an image.

midoras signature.gif

Hi Raumac, welcome to the forum!

If you're up to speed installing and using plugins, try the Hexagonal Grid plugin. Run it over a new ( = transparent) layer.

Also, if you have an image of a hex grid you really like (better than the plugin), you could try pasting it to a new layer and setting the layer blend mode to darken

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Thanks, Midora, Ego Eram Reputo and pdnnoob!

Those methods all work great. I think I am going to try to tweak the "layer blend darken" mode technique a bit. I need to start with a darker version of the hex grid I like. But overall, everything worked like a charm!

Thank you, thank you!

Rau Mac

To darken the grid layer:

1. Activate the grid layer (i.e. click on it in the Layers Window) then duplicate the layer :DuplicateLayer:

2. Activate the upper layer (if not already highlighted) & press F4.

3. In the drop down list, change the blend mode to Multiply. Use the Opacity slider in the dialog to fine-tune the darkening. Press OK when done.

4. Merge the upper layer into the original :MergeLayerDown: