Photo

Transparent Grid or Transparent Hexes

6 replies to this topic

#1 raumac

raumac
  • Newbies
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

Hello, I tried searching the forums for "Transparent Grid" and "Transparent Hex", but I could not find anything.

I would like to create an image which is a Transparent Grid or Hex which I could lay over other images, like maps for roleplaying games.

I tried to use the eraser tool to remove all the white space from the image "TransparentHexes.png" (see attached). It was long and labor intensive, but when I tried to copy the image and lay it over another image, it removed the transparent parts and made them white space again, completely covering the underlaying image.

I figured there must be an easier way. Perhaps there is a way to use the "Paint Bucket" to replace white with transparent? And how do I lay a mostly transparent grid over another image?

Any tips or hints?

Thank you,
Rau Mac

Attached Thumbnails

• TransparentHexes.png

#2 midora

midora
  • Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

Use the 'Magic Wand' tool with a low tolerance and flood mode global to select the hexagons. Then press Delete.

To create an overlay you have to put the result to a new layer on top of an image.
Posted Image

#3 Ego Eram Reputo

Ego Eram Reputo

2013 Proton Award Winner

• Moderators
  • 7,824 posts
  • LocationNorth Canterbury, New Zealand

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

Hi Raumac, welcome to the forum!

If you're up to speed installing and using plugins, try the Hexagonal Grid plugin. Run it over a new ( = transparent) layer.

#4 raumac

raumac
  • Newbies
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Thanks, Midora and Ego Eram Reputo,

Nice to be on the Forums! I will give these a shot and report back! Hope this post helps other.

Rau Mac

#5 pdnnoob

pdnnoob

2013 Radiance Award Winner

• Moderators
  • 2,406 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

Also, if you have an image of a hex grid you really like (better than the plugin), you could try pasting it to a new layer and setting the layer blend mode to darken
noobsig-1.png
what I do all summer Emote Cursor Pack 'noob gallery
No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait
Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

#6 raumac

raumac
  • Newbies
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:06 AM

Thanks, Midora, Ego Eram Reputo and pdnnoob!

Those methods all work great. I think I am going to try to tweak the "layer blend darken" mode technique a bit. I need to start with a darker version of the hex grid I like. But overall, everything worked like a charm!

Thank you, thank you!

Rau Mac

#7 Ego Eram Reputo

Ego Eram Reputo

2013 Proton Award Winner

• Moderators
  • 7,824 posts
  • LocationNorth Canterbury, New Zealand

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:01 AM

To darken the grid layer:

1. Activate the grid layer (i.e. click on it in the Layers Window) then duplicate the layer :DuplicateLayer:

2. Activate the upper layer (if not already highlighted) & press F4.

3. In the drop down list, change the blend mode to Multiply. Use the Opacity slider in the dialog to fine-tune the darkening. Press OK when done.

4. Merge the upper layer into the original :MergeLayerDown: