Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
welshblue

Logo/ Banner Challenge Discussion thread

296 posts in this topic

I hope you're recovering well and feeling better now, Miss nitenurse. Take good care of yourself good.gif

I echo what @Max said @NightNurse.  Take care of that very pretty head of yours and hope to see you more on here 40406.gif 

I have two questions folks.

1.  @Skullbonz - should I delay the Save the Earth comp another week?

2.  @Everyone - should we perhaps extend the LBC comps to three weeks from now on?

@Dear nitenurse!  odukbgfv.gif  I wish you well soon, and take good care of yourself.  quica65i.gif

Get well soon Nitenurse!

2.  @Everyone - should we perhaps extend the LBC comps to three weeks from now on?

30663.gif

It may be a good idea. Projects tend to get difficult at times, and life too.

Yes get well nitenurse and don't feel obligated by my post. You're health is by far more important than anything material. Get well soon.  

Yes Pixey on both your questions. Summers tend to be a slow time, it's too nice outside to be sitting in front of a pc,lol.   :)

Thank You - Maximilian, Pixey , Seerose, Red ochre and skullbonz for your well wishes, I am touched by the kindness shown on here from you. It's this forum and it's wonderful members that can brighten up someones day.

5170.gif

It would be nice if this comp had a longer time for entries Pixey a great idea. :)

How about making it a monthly competition?

How about making it a monthly competition?

104148.gif    

Great idea :GlowEffect: ............ it shall be thus!

Hello. I have not kept up with the conversations in here. So I'm just going to ask some questions.

Is it now a requirement to have portions or all of an entry made from scratch?

Is it required that a certain percent of the entry needs to be made from scratch?

I don't have an entire library of my own personally taken photos to fulfill the entry ideas that I want to make for competitions. So is there a restriction or percentage on how much free legal stock photos can be used to make an entry? (reminder, legally free photos with the correct licenses are photos that the authors or government have given permission for people to use, edit, and modify.) Personally, for me, the more photos I can use, means the more editing, manipulating, and modifying I can do. Which sometimes results in a more creative new picture.

Expanding on the above questions, if the resources that are used are legal and paint.net is the program that is used for the manipulations, then are 100% photo manipulations allowed to be entries? For example, if you go explore the Pictorium's gallery called “Image Umbrella: Image Modification/Manipulation”, would the people who made some of those pictures be allowed to use them in the competitions?

Are pictures that are made from a handful of objects cut out from photos allowed to be entries? For example, if I had the idea to make a park, could I use a photo of grass, then cut out a bench from one photo, cut out some trees from another photo, cut out some people from another photo, and then put it all together to make a new picture, would that pieced-together picture be ok? I ask this because I like to get creative in that type of way, but cutting out objects, blending together photos, and arranging everything can sometimes take a lot of patience and effort. Despite the amount of work it would take to make such a picture, is that kind of work not allowed? I would prefer to cut-out most objects than attempt to draw them, since I literally just am not able to draw most of the ideas in my head.

I often will think up an idea of what I want to make as an entry. My ideas normally consist of several parts or contain multiple pieces, such as a main object, secondary objects, a background, and text. Because of the various parts, I sometimes want to use lots of stock photos because I'm either not talented enough to make the parts myself (I'm not an artist), or the things I make don't fit the vision I'm trying to put together, for example, textures, I'm just not happy with most of my own self-made textures. I would like the freedom to try and make the ideas I get. My lack of free-hand drawing abilities already restricts my creative freedom, I feel like I have a creative handicap because of my poor amounts of raw talent. But free legal resources open up all new opportunities for me to be creative in a different way. I'm hoping the competitions are still open to a verity of participants and creative styles.

ps: Answering my questions nicely would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would say that is up to the hosts and or admins. The rules state that stocks may be used if links are provided but no where in them is there a percentage of allowed use, as was pointed out in past discussions on this subject that you were included in. Although I was left scratching my head in those discussions I was also left with the impression that nothing has changed and they are allowed until someone complains that someone has used too much or too many in an entry. So I guess you just take your chances and see what happens. Have a nice day.   :)

The rules state that stocks may be used

Are the rules the same for socks? :lol:

I'm leaving this up to the Hosts.  They can set and reset the rules on a per-competition basis as far as I'm concerned, so long as the rules are clear.

Remember people, this is supposed to be fun :cake::beer:.  Let's not try and over legislate it ;)

I thought the Rules in the preamble were/are clear enough. 

The winner of the previous round decides on the theme for the next round, as well as whether or not stocks may be used.

If stock images are used, include any and all links to the source(s). Please do not violate copyright laws.

Obviously one should not just copy & paste a picture and try to use the whole image as theirs.

50989.gif    

I would say that is up to the hosts and or admins. The rules state that stocks may be used if links are provided but no where in them is there a percentage of allowed use, as was pointed out in past discussions on this subject that you were included in. Although I was left scratching my head in those discussions I was also left with the impression that nothing has changed and they are allowed until someone complains that someone has used too much or too many in an entry. So I guess you just take your chances and see what happens. Have a nice day. :)

So there is no offical rule yet about how much an image is made from stock photos or pieces cut out from stock photos. That's nice to hear.

But if someone disagrees by an amount used, then by complaint, entries that use multiple stock photos are at risk for disqualification? That risk makes me a little uncomfortable.

But thanks for the answer.

Remember people, this is supposed to be fun :cake::beer:.

That's what I thought. I want the competitions to be open and fun for everyone. However, it wouldn't be fun for everyone if people are going to try and disqualify entries that might be hevily based on stock photos. I would want participants to have the freedom to have fun with stock photos without the worry of having their work burned. Getting burned is not a fun feeling. I know the classic saying "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen." But I didn't think these competitions were that cut-throat.

If we want to encourage more participants, I would think it would be a good idea to be more open and inviting to people who want to be creative in their own way and style, even if that means their style is 100% photo manipulations (as long as they don't violate copyright laws and the program used is paint.net). I personally want more people to participate, because without participants there won't be much of a competition. There aren't many people who do use several stock photos for a single entry, nor are there many who do 100% stock photo manipulations, but for the few who do, I want them to feel welcome here and comfortable with participating.

Unfortunately, because of how busy I've been lately, I am struggling to participate in the competitions. But for when I am able to participate, I want the competitions to continue to be fun, both for me, my fellow competitors, and even the voters.

If some people aren't so concerned about my entries, but actually just don't want me to be a participant, please don't crush other people's fun or be mean about entries, instead let me know nicely that you don't want me to be a participant, and I will try to back off or try to work something out, unless of course others want me to participate, then we can talk things out if/or when that happens.

Thank you for your cooperation. :)

If by any chance I win the Fractal Art comp please go to the runner up to pick the next theme as i will no longer be competing in comps or commenting in this thread.  Goodbye to my friends and others, time to move on.

Three posts removed as requested to quell the emotions around here. 

Let this be an end to it.

:monocole:Well it certainly seems much more "quell-ie" here now; I feel the peaceful zephyrs  and hear the quiet cooing of doves.......

.. :roll:.just wish the darn crickets would shut up.

Tootles

Due to the inactivity/interest and lack of submissions in the Logo Banner Challenge of late, I think it may be best to give this Competition thread a rest for a while.  Apologies to Cc4, who was the only one to enter this competition. 

If and when someone wants to start it up again, please feel free to designate a new competition host.

I'm sorry I couldn't take part. I didn't have the time this time around :|