[Request] Consider mapping something to the forward and back buttons found on many mice

Currently, Paint.NET handles the forward and back buttons on a mouse as just that: forward and back buttons. This means they currently have some level of functionality in Paint.NET (such as filling the canvas with the secondary color when using the Paint Bucket), but they mostly go unused.

What I would like is for them to be mapped to something a bit more useful, to potentially benefit those who have mice with these buttons on them. For instance, Notepad++ and other applications let you switch between open tabs in the application. If this were the model, the buttons on the mouse would let you cycle through the open images in Paint.NET.

Web browsers use these buttons to move forwards and backwards in history for a tab. Using this model, the two buttons would be mapped to undo and redo.

Either of these would be really great.

signature.png

Great idea Mike. I wonder if the Undo and Redo functions are perhaps potentially too destructive, so I'd be more comfortable with the image swapping idea (much less potential for data loss).

• Upvote 1

Great idea Mike. I wonder if the Undo and Redo functions are perhaps potentially too destructive, so I'd be more comfortable with the image swapping idea (much less potential for data loss).

I agree with Mike that these buttons could be useful but as EER says undo/redo could wreak havoc esp. with less experienced users.

Scrolling through the images would be great.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

More uses for the middle mouse button or wheel:

Click with the middle mouse button (or click with the mouse wheel) to close an image in the Image list.

With the Zoom tool active, drag + middle mouse button (or hold wheel down) to pan the canvas.

Avi, I use the mouse wheel a lot with the CTRL key to zoom in & out.

Using the wheel for the layers could lead to problems with things going on the wrong layers. Got a bit of problem with that now :sad:

Hi

I use the wheel as you say too, and also as Rick said for the History.

and Ego has more idea's like I'm sure others too.

If i continue with Rick's post about the "history window" wheel usage, why not as step 1 add such scroll option to

the "layers window" too?

so if we move the mouse over to the layers window we could scroll thru the layers like in the history window.

working with many layers this could make layer selection much faster.

Rick ?

thank you

Avi

--

Sily me I forgot step 2 :-(

step 2 in the future would be allow thru the preference to choose what

would the wheel do when use over the canvas.

(options to select from good ideas that would pass with Rick and he would like to do it :-) )

Edited by avim1968

"DDAP=Don't Drink And Post!" :-)