Creating a Cube with Images on the Side

Xzerizon

This is my first tutorial. Any criticism, encouragement, or even response is welcome.

You will need the following plugins: Bevel Selection, and AA's Assistant.

Since I am using a Mac keyboard on a Windows XP operating system, I am not able to take screenshots. I can show the results, however.

You will be working to achieve this, or something like it:

FinishedResult.png

{1}- Open an image with the parameters 800 x 800, or something with the same hight/width ratio.

*For this tutorial, we will be using two stock images. http://www.vectordia...-vector-car.jpg and https://encrypted-tb...EOdp81NEJZO_PEw

{2}- Paste one of the pictures onto the background and use the resize tool to stretch it across the entire screen. It will look blurry, but don't worry! (rhyme) Do the same for the other picture on a new layer. Hide the layer on top.

1.png

{3}- Press control + A at the same time to select the entire thing. Proceed to use Bevel Selection at the following settings:

Depth: 20

Use alternate lighting direction UNCHECKED

Highlight color: RGB 188, 188, 188

Shadow color: RGB 0, 0, 0

Strength: 1.00

Do this to both layers.

2.png

{4}- Create a new layer on top of the bottom one, and select the gradient tool with the colors set to black and white, respectively. Click and hold, while holding down shift, and draw a linear gradient across the entire canvas, from left to right. Copy this layer and put it at the bottom for a bit later. Set the original gradient layer's properties to Blending Mode: Multiply and Opacity: 165 (or play around with the settings until you are happy.). Copy that layer and move it to the top of the stack, and then merge the two gradient layers into the ones below. Now, take the gradient at the very bottom and run another Bevel Selection at the previous settings.

3.png

{5}- Now, create a new layer and move it to the very bottom of the stack, and name it 'Background'. Select all with control+A, and then make sure your primary color is white as you hit delete/backspace to fill in the empty space. Unhide the top layer.

4.png

{6}- Now we get to create the cube. On the top layer, use Layers>Rotate/Zoom. Change the settings to the following; I omited the settings you are not supposed to change from default:

Twist Angle: -136.64

Twist Radius: 64.26

X pan: -0.371

Y pan: 0.172

Zoom: 0.62x

Eventually, you will want to play around with the settings, but for now, just stick to the tutorial, okay? :)

5.png

{7}- Now for the other side. Take the other layer with a picture on it and apply yet another Rotate/Zoom to it:

Angle: 19.98

Twist Angle: -11.79

Twist Radius: 63.71

X Pan: 0.478

Y Pan: 0.042

Zoom: 0.53x

But, one of the pictures is jutting out at the corner. We can't have that! Select the layer the picture in question is on. Select the Line/Curve tool, set the size to 37, and then carefully draw a line over the projection in a color vastly diverse to your color scheme. Select the line with a magic wand set to 63% Tolerance Contiguous and hit control+X. You can carefully dab away at the rest with an eraser if you want.

6.png

{8}- Select the plain, gradient/beveled layer and move it to the very top. Apply Rotate/Zoom to it:

Angel: 55.75

Twist Angel: 93.94

Twist Radius: 75.54

X Pan: -0.113

Y Pan: -0.569

Zoom: 0.65x

Notice all the errors. We will correct those with the line tool. Using the same settings as before on a new layer, draw two green lines something like this.

7.png

Select the green lines with 63% tolerance and delete that layer before hitting control+x. Correct any jutting out parts with the eraser tool.

{9}- Merge the cube layers down into one and then run AA's Assistant at the default settings. You're done! If you want text like what's on my profile, then there will be a tutorial for that soon.

FinishedResult.png

'Civil disobedience is still disobedience.'

'↑ And that is how you confuse an atomic computer. ↑'

▬ Xžε⌐¡z○╖

Nicely put together. The trouble you have aligning the sides can be resolved using the Shape3D plugin. Here's a tutorial: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/12246-lets-make-a-software-box/

Nicely put together.

Thank you! :D

The trouble you have aligning the sides can be resolved using the Shape3D plugin. Here's a tutorial: http://forums.getpai...a-software-box/

... Someone smack me for being so stupid. >.< Thanks.

'Civil disobedience is still disobedience.'

'↑ And that is how you confuse an atomic computer. ↑'

▬ Xžε⌐¡z○╖