not enough memory to perform action

i have 2.9 free gb memory on my computer

how much memory is required to perform action?

Your question appears to be too open ended. I personally don't know how to go about trying to calculate how much memory it would take to "peform an action" but I do know that there are factors that will need to be known for anybody to answer your question. If you are working on a specific image, the size of the image will have a bearing on it, and I would also guess that it would depend upon the "action". If you're applying a blur to a small portion of an image, it would certainly take less memory to perform this action as opposed to applying a blur to a much larger portion of an image.

Here are some things that may help you:

Minimum Requirements

• Windows 7 (recommended)
  • or Windows Vista
  • or Windows XP (SP2 or later)
  • .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
  • 800MHz processor
  • 512MB of RAM
  • 1024 x 768 screen resolution
  • 200+ MB hard drive space
  • Optional: 64-bit support requires a 64-bit CPU and a 64-bit edition of Windows

I'm not a NASCAR fan, but I'll try to give you a racing analogy. If you have a Toyota with a 4 cyl engine, it doesn't mean you can't operate (drive) that vehicle, but having a 4 cyl engine certainly doesn't provide you with the ability to "race with the big boys" in NASCAR races unless/until you upgrade the vehicle dramatically.

You stated you have 2.9 GB of free memory, but you haven't indicate the size of the image, or whether you have multiple layers, or any other details of your issue. Again, I don't know how to calculate how much memory would be used based upon certain image dimensions, but it would certainly take less memory for a small image vs a large image.

The point I guess I'm trying to make is that you will most likely need to provide more detailed info on what you are doing and with what are you trying to do it with if you would like a more detailed reply to your question.

Edited by jim100361

An image can have very high overheads if the image is large and/or has many layers. This thread details the formula you can use to work out how much memory Paint.NET will use to operate on an image: http://forums.getpai...ead-this-first/

Here's the formula: (W x H x 4) x (L + 2)

Your linked image: (14307 x 1400 x 4) x (L + 2)

Doing the math, you're looking at 80mb for the first layer and every additional layer.

If your true image really is 50k pixels wide then its no wonder you're running out of memory! You need lots more memory and/or resize the image so it is MUCH smaller.

Here's the formula: (W x H x 4) x (L + 2)

Your linked image: (14307 x 1400 x 4) x (L + 2)

Doing the math, you're looking at 80mb for the first layer and every additional layer.

If your true image really is 50k pixels wide then its no wonder you're running out of memory! You need lots more memory and/or resize the image so it is MUCH smaller.

That means almost 3GB of RAM on the 50k wide image...you're gonna need a half-decent computer just to open that thing o.o

May I ask why you need it to be so incredibly large?

If you assume 300 dpi, the image is going to be about (if my math is correct) 241'x24'...if you stood it up, it would be about two stories high and almost a football field long. With a picture like that, you could cover almost every part of my house that is visible from the road...in high definition print. If you had an unlimited supply of 1600x1200 pixel monitors, it would take 128 of them to fit the entire image. In other words, there is no practical purpose for such a large image...you're crazy :P

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

it would be about two stories high and almost a football field long. In other words, there is no practical purpose for such a large image.

No offense, but you're assuming that he doesn't have a commercial interest in this. Maybe something like this:

http://images.androidworld.nl/wp-content/uploads/PhotoFunia-08-Huge-billboard.jpg

Edited by jim100361

Probably not appropriate to use Paint.NET for something like that. It just won't handle images of that size, regardless of how much memory you've got.

And in 3.5, you won't even be able to zoom in ... you can't even get to 100% / Actual Size pixels.

In 4.0, zooming won't be an issue. Memory usage will be significantly lower. But it may still have CPU usage issues.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg