.dds file only showing upper left quadrant

I have been trying to edit a .dds texture file using Pint.net, latest version. The raw file is a single layer, and is roughly 1.3 mb in size. A friend loaded the file into Photoshop and the file loaded perfectly. I used this as a test of teh validity of the .dds file. When I try to view the same file in Paint.net, I only see the upper left quadrant of the file, exactly 25% of the total graphic. I am attaching screen shot of the Paint.net result and a shot of what the file should look like (as seen by a specialized reader - read only). I need to edit the wording on the signs in this texture, and unfortunately the signs I want to edit are in the area that is not showing in Paint.net. If anyone has any ideas as to how I can resolve this, or troubleshoot it to find out what is wrong, I would greatly appreciate any help you can give. Thanks,

Doug

Spokane, WA

post-89802-0-12700500-1334555506_thumb.jpost-89802-0-72756600-1334555532_thumb.j

Edited by madoke

OK, here is the .dds file. It is on Dropbox at the following link. Let me know if you have any difficulties.

Just to say Paint.NET, Irfanview, and XnView show all the same. Most part of the image is transparent.

Maybe Photoshop does not respect the transparency?

Sometimes later...

Based on this assumption I removed the transparency using the AlphaMask plugin.

Voila all image data is there.

Edited by midora

midoras signature.gif

Great! Thank you so much for your assistance. I am assuming that I can find that plugin here, and that it is relatively self explanatory (with a readme or equivalent). I am new to Paint.net, so this will be interesting. Can't imagine why the original file had this transparency, but now that I know to look for this I can avoid it in the future. Thanks again,

Doug

PS: Just tried using Alphamask and the file was corrected perfectly. I will pass this on to others I know with the same problem.

Edited by madoke

So basically the color values are all correct and the alpha values are zero'd out for some reason.

If you knew how to use CodeLab it would be easy to write a little script that just set "color.A = 255" for all pixels. Conceptually it'd be,

for (int y = 0; y < layer.Height; ++y)
{
   for (int x = 0; x < layer.Width; ++x)
   {
       ColorBgra c = layer[x, y];
       c.A = 255;
       layer[x, y] = c;
   }
}

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg