Why does it take so long to save a pdn file

Stealth3si

It takes me 20 seconds to save a pdn file with many layers in it?

From which component would I expect to see the most difference in speed if I buy the following components?

Asus M5A88-V Evo

AMD Phenom II X4 960T 3.0 Ghz (possibly unlockable to 6 cores)

G.Skill 2 x 4gb Ripjaws 1600 memory

128GB SSD Crucial M4

Acer Aspire x3200 w/ AMD Phenom X3 (TripleCore) 8400 2.1 GHz (Stock speed & HS)

4 GB G·Skill DDR2 800 PC2-6400

Onboard NVidia GeForce 8200/9200

Asus Xonar DX & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Darth'd w/ FiiO E11

Crucial M4 60GB, Barracuda 500GB, Hitachi 160GB/WD 500GB

Viewsonic LCD 27" VA2702W @ 1920x1080

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Build 7600

What's the estimate of the number of layers you typically use? "A lot" is a bit vague.

Judging by your PC specs, I don't see why it would take so long to save unless you're using tons and tons of layers. If I were to upgrade, I'd go with the processor, since it would be the component doing all of the work for building the save file, but I didn't develop this software so don't take my word for it.

It takes awhile because it's GZIP compressing all the pixel data. It does use a 'low' compression setting that favors speed over compression. I found that the highest compression setting only gave something like 0.1% smaller file sizes anyway.

If you want it to go faster, get a CPU with more cores or more GHz. Saving and loading PDNs is fully multithreaded and really zooms with more cores. You should see close to 100% CPU usage in Task Manager.

For instance, the Dual Xeon E5-2687W I'm planning to build should be able to save that file in approximately -2 seconds.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

-2?? You mean it saves the file before you click the Save button? Cool boltbait.cool.png

• Upvote 2

-2?? You mean it saves the file before you click the Save button? Cool boltbait.cool.png

6.gif If you taking orders for one of those machines, put my name down too, please Rick. 6.gif

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

What's the estimate of the number of layers you typically use? "A lot" is a bit vague.

Judging by your PC specs, I don't see why it would take so long to save unless you're using tons and tons of layers. If I were to upgrade, I'd go with the processor, since it would be the component doing all of the work for building the save file, but I didn't develop this software so don't take my word for it.

about a hundred 1280x720 layers.

should it be faster? though coz it's like sloooooww

It takes awhile because it's GZIP compressing all the pixel data. It does use a 'low' compression setting that favors speed over compression. I found that the highest compression setting only gave something like 0.1% smaller file sizes anyway.

If you want it to go faster, get a CPU with more cores or more GHz. Saving and loading PDNs is fully multithreaded and really zooms with more cores. You should see close to 100% CPU usage in Task Manager.

For instance, the Dual Xeon E5-2687W I'm planning to build should be able to save that file in approximately -2 seconds.

so your saying that it's CPU bottlenecked coz when i'm saving its nearly 100%!

about a hundred 1280x720 layers.

should it be faster? though coz it's like sloooooww

I've never gotten past 20 layers of that size myself...a hundred is bordering on insane :00:

Are you trying to animate, or do you simply have that many objects that need to be kept separate?

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I've never gotten past 20 layers of that size myself...a hundred is bordering on insane :00:

well i've been told i am crazy numerous times..

Are you trying to animate, or do you simply have that many objects that need to be kept separate?

they need to be kept separate because I generate graphics sheets which contain different objects...

Has anyone found a way to decrease the save/load times?

Yes, I do believe that's the precise definition of "CPU bottlenecked."

Has anyone found a way to decrease the save/load times?

Get a faster CPU or use fewer layers. There's your answer. You've got it. Honest!

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Yes, I do believe that's the precise definition of "CPU bottlenecked."

Get a faster CPU or use fewer layers. There's your answer. You've got it. Honest!

well shoot i just got my phenom II X4 960t. i haven't used it yet but i'll see if there will be any improvements once i put the system together...if yes, it better be noticeable or i'll be disappointed to have spent almost $300 to upgrade a system to gain zilch in saving time

But if there's no significant improvement afterwards then I would like to use a different program.

Is the PDN file universal and user-friendly when it comes to other programs that use layers?

.... Is the PDN file universal and user-friendly when it comes to other programs that use layers?

No. The PDN file format does not play nicely with other applications.

If you need to export and preserve the layer structure, try the Photoshop PSD filetype plugin: Photoshop PSD file plugin (1.0.7 and later)

No. The PDN file format does not play nicely with other applications.

If you need to export and preserve the layer structure, try the Photoshop PSD filetype plugin: Photoshop PSD file plugin (1.0.7 and later)

If you like to edit the images in GIMP use the XCF filetype plugin to preserve the layer structure and some other properties (ImXCF).

midoras signature.gif

It's taking "awhile" because it's compressing 73 MB of image data (20 layers * 1280 pixels wide * 720 pixels tall * 4 bytes per pixel). It's as simple as that.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

But if there's no significant improvement afterwards then I would like to use a different program.

I don't think there is any image editing program that can save that much data any faster because it's not the program slowing down the process. You may get slight variations between programs, but nothing significant. If the upgrade doesn't help, you probably can't solve the problem without an obscene amount of money :/

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

You'll also be happy to know that save times should be a lot better in 4.0 once it's available: http://blog.getpaint.net/2012/03/18/optimizing-pdn-save-times/

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 1 month later...

Great! Can't wait for the next release.

lol I think we were on the wrong page before. FYI, the article you posted seems to suggest that my problem was on a machine that had a Phenom II X4 960T and 'plenty of RAM.' My initial problem was actually on the Phenom X3 with 4 gbs of ram and a SSD. Please look at my original post. I originally asked if saving time would increase if I bought the new components in question. :smile:

Otherwise, I got good news!

I finally put together my new system, 8 GB of Ram.

I'm glad to say there was a fair improvement in saving time, as well as opening time.

Here is what happened on the old system:

Crucial M4 60GB on SATA II

16 sec to open

23 sec to save

Now on the new system:

Asus M5A88-V EVO

Phenom II X4 960T 3.0GHz *unlocked to 6 cores stable*

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Crucial M4 60GB on SATA III

4 sec to open

7 sec to save

:happeh:

Edited by Stealth3si