Veined Marble Texture

dynojuggler

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

I am almost hesitant to post this tut because it is so simple, but a search found no marble tuts covering veined marble. So, I will go ahead and post this tut for better or for worse.

This is what we are aiming for in this tut...

1. Begin with a New Image 800x600. If you are into naming your layers, you can call this layer "Base" (or Bob, or Wallace, or whatever you want).

2. Render Clouds using default colors with Scale @ 600 and Rougness @ 0.60. Set the Blend Mode to Difference

Effects > Render >> Clouds

3. Now hit Ctrl+F to duplicate the render clouds effect. You can do this as many times as you wish. To get the effect pictured above I hit Ctrl+F five times. I have found I get best results if repeat the render an odd number of times. You should end up with something like this...

4. Duplicate the layer. Name the duplicate "Overlay".

5. Now change the Levels setting for this new layer. Set the top Input @ 35. Everything else can be left at default.

Adjustments > Levels

6. Set the layer Blend Mode to Overlay.

7. Create a new layer, name it "Background", and move it to the bottom.

8. Choose the default light gray from the color pallette (HEX: 808080) and bucket fill the Background layer.

9. Choose your Base layer and set the Opacity to 50

10. Flatten your image and, voila, marble...

Play around with Curves (or your favorite coloring method) to get various results

Adjustments > Curves or Curves+

I hope this wasn't too simple for a tut. I know it would have helped me out to have one rather than fiddling around until I got the right (or at least satisfactory) result (but, hey, most of the fun is in fiddlin' around).

• Upvote 2
dynojugglersigsmall-1.jpg

I apologise, but, in my opinion, you are not right. I am assured. I can prove it.

I won't disagree with you and I will be glad to learn how to improve, but, I am not really sure what you are talking about.

So, after posting this tut I did some more searching and found a Photoshop tut that was very similar to what I had here but with a few extra steps that I think gave a better result than what I originally had. I implemented those steps with what I had and offer what I hope is a better result.

Edited by dynojuggler

I apologise, but, in my opinion, you are not right. I am assured. I can prove it.

If you can prove it, let's see it. Quite honestly, I don't think anyone on this forum is entirely sure of what you are talking about...

Enough of that, now. As many "render clouds to make marble!" tutorials as there have been (and been locked), this one is different from the rest in one respect: it uses levels. Plainly, levels is a tool with much potential, but nobody uses much, so it's nice to have another tutorial here that incorporates it. Great work! :)

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I won't disagree with you and I will be glad to learn how to improve, but, I am not really sure what you are talking about.

So, after posting this tut I did some more searching and found a Photoshop tut that was very similar to what I had here but with a few extra steps that I think gave a better result than what I originally had. I implemented those steps with what I had and offer what I hope is a better result.

In many ways there are a lot of things a bot can help with ... in this case I dont think this is a language barrier issue at all, but a simple bot that helped us out. Upswing is that you opted to use it's response in a great way to add more depth to the base texture concept.

Found it odd just now that there wasn't more actual texture variations on the basic marble patterns (PDN google based results). Lots of examples here and there, but I guess that's the PDN numbers game on some levels.

I would suggest looking into adding splinter blur and cloud deformation of set line patterns as a blurring method to control the outcome and offer blending layers to create larger chaos from this. Agreed, the idea is to set the mind in motion on the tutorials, but often a few more variations and examples can be helpful. I've found the old cloud's ability to leave alpha and other transparency "zones" in can be helpful when trying to get the multicolor blends. Harder to use the old one but it offers some different controls on morphing an image using this noise approach.

Just food for thought and thanks for making a workable tutorial and the willingness to modify it.

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Thanks for the kind words and input pdnnoob and delpart.

I have never used splinter blur before but after your advice I have been playing around with it. It can give some very fun results. I will look into playing the cloud deformation as well since I am not familiar with that (I am a noob in many pdn tools and techniques). If I am able to get the hang of using them to get better esults here I will definitely update the tut (as humble as it may be). Thanks again!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Nicely done Helloman892 :)

Many thanks. If you're wondering what I did, exactly... I duplicated the flattened image and then set the blend mode of the top layer to Reflect.

Just, ya know, if you were interested.

LightYagamiSig_zps27dc44ef.png

I absolutely adore Death Note.

• 9 months later...