How did I make this

awakeneddragon

pic1224542.png

Seems simple enough. Render clouds. Check. Throw some noise or grain down. Check... How the HECK did I get the little fiber effect in there? The borders look suspicous, like I threw a displacement in there. I don't think there's a blur (or else a very small one) because while the grain is muted the fibers are quite clear... ARGH!

I was playing around trying to nail something else and ended up with the fibers, which is cool enough that I want to play with THAT more, but as much as I play I can't get the effect again--and THIS is a recipe that I did not, for some reason, write down! Help!

• Upvote 1

Splinter ? On Lighten mode ??

... it's a cool texture BTW

Thank you, but I won't take credit till I can do it again (@.@)>

I definitely have a splinter in there, yes. I've been looking at the files I was working on at the time and I was playing with the splinter function. I can definitely SEE it. But what combination of effects produced the veins... I keep looking at the reference images I was working on (I was actually trying to produce a mud crackle effect), and there's some glimmer THERE, but I can't quite seem to grab on it it. (I tried a TON of stuff trying to get that mud) I'll keep trying!

Toon or pencil sketch or outline or ... anything that tries to either do addition or erosion to the points splinter blur creates will get you the "cracks" for a mud texture like that. Has to be blended in, multiple layers, all the usual for a good texture. Some of the edge or other methods like edge detection can lend to this as well, but the example you're showing is uniform and lacks the usual offset you'd see from those. Those things on the edges are the hallmark of splinter blur in lighten mode as it bounces off the side of your canvas. **EDIT: Errr, darken mode, just noticed they're all black, my eye's were playing tricks on me ...

Combinations of clouds>crystallize>dents>clouds(blending mode)>splinter blur (lighten or darken)>then toon or pencil sketch or ink sketch>blended with some form of the original cloud layering to create depth ... More or less.

Duh, YellowMan has a tutorial on making that texture in the extreme. No need for me to re-invent the wheel in text ... Look here: Cracked floor tutorial at PDN Fans

Edited by delpart

Gallery at PDN-Fans

I probably got the noise level wrong but it looks like clouds, noise, splinter of duplicate layer set to blend mode of darken over the original or an alternate run of clouds ... Must be the noise replicating the edge(s) I thought I was seeing ...

This is close, but I think my base cloud colors are off or something (edit: more likely its because I didn't include the noise on the base cloud layer I blended. I can see that little bit of gran matching now in yours):

th_patternmatch.png

Edited by delpart

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Try Noise on it's own layer then run Splinter on that?

The versions of add noise I have don't like transparent layers - not a problem as I use my own very beta, unpublished plugin.

I'm pretty sure that 'Dents' is run at a low distortion on the 'splinters', to get the organic feel of the fibres.

Anyway, I wanted to comment to say how much I've enjoyed this unplanned 'tutorial' - these techniques are brilliant for making watercolour paper textures, mosses etc. and Welshy's looks like some grey (brain) matter :lol:.

'Dents' and 'splinter blur' are two of my favourite plugins. Maybe it's good that you cannot exactly replicate the first texture, or everything would look the same. It's the exploring/discovering that I see as art! - well done awakeneddragon, I'm glad you posted this.

My efforts along these lines.

splinterdentsfibre.png

splintermould.png

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

You all ROCK!

Especial thanks to welshblue for working on it--and even making something new! And, Red ochre, ah! You're taking it where I figured I could go with it. Awesome! Indeed, I was pretty sure that I ran a dents (at 1), and delpart GOT the original look with the key that I hadn't written down: Duplicate the layer. Thanks a TON, delpart! Now I can go back to playing instead of pulling my hair out (^_-)v

Thank you all!

The versions of add noise I have don't like transparent layers...

Quite correct. I assume that noise is not truly a random thing and takes a seed from the underlying layer. Seems reasonable to think it should work on a transparent layer.

MadJik had a plugin that I'm struggling to find - it's all a bit strange, the thread seems to have been deleted or something

I started playing around with noise/random stuff - this compiles in codelab and is open to adaption. - probably terrible 'style' though ;)

#region UICode
int Amount1 = 128; // [0,255] probability (spacing)
byte Amount2 = 0; // [255] Reseed
#endregion

void Render(Surface dst, Surface src, Rectangle rect)
{
ColorBgra CurrentPixel;
for (int y = rect.Top; y < rect.Bottom; y++)
{
	for (int x = rect.Left; x < rect.Right; x++)
	{
	CurrentPixel = src[x,y];
	if (RandomNumber.Next(255) > Amount1)
	{
	CurrentPixel = src[x,y];
	}
	else
	{
	CurrentPixel.R = (byte)RandomNumber.Next(256);
	CurrentPixel.G = (byte)RandomNumber.Next(256);
	CurrentPixel.B = (byte)RandomNumber.Next(256);
	}
	CurrentPixel.A = (byte)255;

dst[x,y] = CurrentPixel;
	}
}
}

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Aaaannd, I HAVE it! Thank you very, very much delpart! The clouds are a red herring! All of the magic actually happens on a different layer!

I was working in multiple layers and doing effects to see what would happen to the whole image (perhaps not the best way to go about it). I certainly had the cloud layer, but it was only an overlay. It was in the flat color layer beneath were the magic happened:

New layer > Paintbucket light gray (808080) > Add noise (Intensity 60, Coverage 30) > Splinter (Splinters 9, Distance 12)

VIOLA: Elephant skin!

Add layer (Overlay) > Clouds (404040 and 808080 is my favorite)

VIOLA: My red herring texture!

I was trying to go for a mud crackle effect (thank you for THAT link, delpart), but was unsuccessful. So I was playing/hunting for ANY kind of organic cracked effect. I hope this impromptu tutorial helps some folks--it's only a small way I can pay you all back for such a great program and site!

JOKE: When do clouds look like an elephant? ANSWER: When you look for mud!

You're most welcome. And thank you for the rather overwhelming gratitude as well. Had a rotten day with people all wanting to take my head off so this comes as a most welcome surprise.

One thing I seem to know is how to smash clouds and some levels of distortion together. Glad to see all my iterations (puns intended for the chaos club) not go to waste for once. Also happy to contribute back publicly to anyone at all since I've leached so much silently from here ...

Also, thanks for the exacting amounts for some more fun textures. Fast and simple usually seems to be best. By the time I'm usually done I've more or less turned my screen back into static. :lol:

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Quite correct. I assume that noise is not truly a random thing and takes a seed from the underlying layer. Seems reasonable to think it should work on a transparent layer.

MadJik had a plugin that I'm struggling to find - it's all a bit strange, the thread seems to have been deleted or something

AddNoise+ was before the covering slider ratio is added to the built-in effect. It has no longer reason to exist now IMO.

New layer > Paintbucket light gray (808080) > Add noise (Intensity 60, Coverage 30) > Splinter (Splinters 9, Distance 12)

Told you... :lol:

AddNoise+ was before the covering slider ratio is added to the built-in effect. It has no longer reason to exist now IMO.

Yes, but where has the thread gone?