Illustrator .AI plugin?

Hi maddog69,

Welcome to the forum!

I maintain the Plugin Index and I don't recall a plugin that will handle .AI files.

As I understand it .AI files are single page vector graphics. Paint.NET is a raster/bitmap editor, so can't handle vector graphics.

It might be possible to get them into Paint.NET in another format (e.g. the PS file plugin if you can export them as PS files). See this thread for more:

A secret trick is that the Adobe PDF reader can read .AI files. Just change the extension from .AI to .PDF, and open it in Acrobat Reader. You can take a screenshot and drop it in PdN.

Or you can open it in Inkscape, if they have a plugin for .AI.

• Like 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Another screen-shot option is from within Gmail via the preview attachments ... I say screen shot but you can also save image as and a few other work arounds depending on the browser you like to use.

Oddly enough that image handler of theirs seems to do that. Surprised me when they started showing up some time ago.

Potentially better scaling options/larger screen capture size with Adobe Reader when it works on one though.

Gallery at PDN-Fans

• 2 years later...

Potentially better scaling options/larger screen capture size with Adobe Reader when it works on one though.

So all I do is open .AI file in Adobe Reader and print it to .JPG file to have good resolution?

Also if .JPG file has several elements that some of them I want to have different color, how can I select the ones I intend to change if this file is not .PSD that allows control on each element?

Thanks

Edited by TechnicGeek

This conversation is nearly three years old.

If you would like to restart this discussion, please just start a new thread.

Thanks.

<closed>

• toe_head2001 changed the title to Illustrator .AI plugin?