Photo

Paint.NET Setup Front-End

23 replies to this topic

#1 kwgrid

kwgrid
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:29 PM

I have been trying for days to install Paint.NET 3.5.8 without success. My previous copy became corrupted somehow. I have done dozens of troubleshooting routines including MSI to uninstall, register-cleaning, MS-Fix-it, 5 virus software scans (5 different updated products), driver updates, everything. I am running the Net framework 3.5 with the previous 2 and 3 there also. I tried to add the service packs to the latter but they were not for my system (If I recall correctly. I've done so many things it's hard to remember but I did read about that in one your posts.)

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 running Windows XP Home Edition ver 2002 SP3. Cpu 2.66GHZ, 1.12GB ram. Currently I have over 21gb free space.

I looked for another free photo editing software and decided to try Serif PhotoPlus basic. It downloaded and installed without a problem but it's not very user-friendly. I'm familiar with Paint.NET and I want it back!!!

Here's a picture of what I get when the installation commences:

Paint install error.jpg

Edited by kwgrid, 25 August 2011 - 05:30 PM.

#2 pyrochild

pyrochild
  • Administrators
  • 11,496 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:50 PM

Hmm... have you tried repairing the .NET framework?

And this may seem obvious and condescending, but you have rebooted, yes?
xZYt6wl.png
ambigram signature by Kemaru

[I write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

#3 kwgrid

kwgrid
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:06 PM

Hmm... have you tried repairing the .NET framework?

And this may seem obvious and condescending, but you have rebooted, yes?

Yes to both. I've done .NET framework repair at two different times. Also did a new download of it and a repair later.

Be as 'condescending' as you wanta be. :) I have no 'ego' when I'm trying to solve a problem. ha

I worked with computers many, many years ago but have been retired for many, many years. A lot has changed since then. I just want a solution!!

Thank you for your interest and for taking the time to reply.

#4 pyrochild

pyrochild
  • Administrators
  • 11,496 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:11 PM

OK, open your Temp folder (open Windows Explorer, then type %temp% in the location bar) and look for any files starting with PdnSetup. Do this after the installer crashes, but before closing anything.

If you find any such files, post them here.
xZYt6wl.png

#5 kwgrid

kwgrid
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:20 PM

OK, open your Temp folder (open Windows Explorer, then type %temp% in the location bar) and look for any files starting with PdnSetup. Do this after the installer crashes, but before closing anything.

I don't see a 'location' bar when I open Windows Explorer but I'm doing a search from the root for any files with pdnsetup in the name.

#6 kwgrid

kwgrid
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:34 PM

I'm doing a search for any files that include the word pdnsetup.

Okay. I found a folder with that name but nothing in it and a text file named PdnSetupshim.

#7 kwgrid

kwgrid
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:39 PM

Location: C;\Documents and Settings\onwer\local settings\temp

There are tons of files in there but only the folder name PdnSetup that's empty and the text file I mentioned, PdnSetupshim.

#8 kwgrid

kwgrid
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:47 PM

Oops!! Misunderstood your message. Will try installing again and do as you suggested.

#9 kwgrid

kwgrid
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:59 PM

Okay. The error message is still on my screen and I went to temp folder. There is the PdnSetup folder with tons of files in it this time. There is also the PdnSetupshim file which I will attch.

#10 kwgrid

kwgrid
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:07 AM

I don't see the file attached. ???? Will do it again just in case I did something wrong.

Okay. It says I am not permitted to upload this kind of file. Posted Image It's just a text file. Should I rename it and try again? I'll just copy and paste what's in it:

--- Paint.NET SetupShim starting, lpCmdLine='/suppressReboot', nCmdShow=10
CoInitialize(NULL) returned 0
pIAA = CoCreateInstance(CLSID_AutomaticUpdates) returned 0
pIAA->Pause() returned 80070424
Checking OS requirement
bIsWin7 = false
bIsVistaSP1 = false
bIsVista = false
bIs2003SP2 = false
bIs2003 = false
bIsXPSP3 = true
bIsXP = true
bResult = true
EnsureOSRequirement() returned 0
Called EnsureTrustedInstallerIsEnabledAsync()
Checking .NET requirement
bIsNetfx40ClientInstalled = false
bIsNetfx35SP1Installed = true
bIsNetfx35SP1ClientInstalled = false
bIsNetfx20Installed = true
bIsSupportedNetfxInstalled = true
bIsNetfxInstallerPresent = true
PreInstallPrompt() returned true
InstallNetfx() returned 0
Launching Paint.NET installer. bRebootRequired=false

Attaching a file with initial error message under "What does this error report contain? Apparently it's not finding a particular file.

Attached Thumbnails

• error information.JPG

Edited by kwgrid, 26 August 2011 - 12:23 AM.

#11 pyrochild

pyrochild
  • Administrators
  • 11,496 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:31 AM

FileNotFoundException? That is quite odd... Try running chkdsk

You can edit posts by the way ;)
xZYt6wl.png

#12 kwgrid

kwgrid
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:29 PM

FileNotFoundException? That is quite odd... Try running chkdsk

You can edit posts by the way Posted Image

So sorry about all the 'reply' posts instead of edits. I was soooo tired and wasn't thinking straight.

I ran chkdsk and apparently there were some files it had to restore. I've run that before and it didn't show anything. Was gonna screen cap it but it closed too fast.

I guess I should try installing Paint.net again, huh?

You have no idea how much I appreciate your help. I've been working on this for days. I use Paint.net a lot and I've been sort of going through 'withdrawal.' ha I'll try the install again.

Should I remove all of the files from the previous install attempt?

Edited by kwgrid, 26 August 2011 - 12:34 PM.

#13 pyrochild

pyrochild
  • Administrators
  • 11,496 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:08 PM

If you run chkdsk from a command prompt, it won't close on its own and you can see what's going on.

Make sure to run it with /F so it fixes the problems it finds.
xZYt6wl.png

#14 kwgrid

kwgrid
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:15 PM

If you run chkdsk from a command prompt, it won't close on its own and you can see what's going on.

Make sure to run it with /F so it fixes the problems it finds.

Didn't make any difference.

I get the same error when I try to run Windows update and also MS-Fixit. In all cases a file isn't found. They both read like the attached file which shows the general error info.

FYI, I installed two repair packages that installed without incident: PcKeeper (big ripoff...I could run those routines myself.) and ParetoLogic Health Advisor. They didn't make any difference with Windows Update, MS-Fixit, or Paint.Net. The latter 3 processes seem to be the only things that just won't run. Could it be something with the Windows installer? The other packages didn't use that service.

Attached Thumbnails

• Paint setup front end error.JPG

Edited by kwgrid, 27 August 2011 - 09:22 PM.

#15 pyrochild

pyrochild
  • Administrators
  • 11,496 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:03 PM

"PC Repair" programs are all BS and I hope you didn't pay anything for them.

I really have no idea at this point, but if even Windows Update is failing you may want to take the issue to a Microsoft support forum. They will probably be better able to help you.
xZYt6wl.png

#16 kwgrid

kwgrid
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:23 PM

I really have no idea at this point, but if even Windows Update is failing you may want to take the issue to a Microsoft support forum. They will probably be better able to help you.

I'm convinced that I have a Rootkit problem. ;( If that is confirmed, I will let you know and also let you know what fixed it....for future reference. Thank you so much for your efforts.

Unfortunately, I did pay for PC repair package and was disgusted to discover that it runs all the Windows functions I could have run myself. Well, I've always paid dearly for every meaningful lesson I ever learned. Seems that hasn't changed.

I just spent money I would rather have donated to you guys and my computer has been brought up to snuff in all kinds of ways, Microsoft antivirus was repaired and eliminated the fear that I had a rootkit. whew But it didn't fix my paint.net install problem. Still gettin' the equivalent of 'file not found.' The same error as I showed you before. *cry*

New entry: Now that my pc is all spiffy and stuff (supposedly), I checked the error log under applications and saw runtime errors. They involved runtime 2.0. One involved mscorlib not finding a file. These errors occurred when I attempted to download and install Paint.net 3.5.1. Soooo, what I did was to clean all evidence of that attempt...all paint.net and pdnsetup files...and check info on runtime errors. I didn't find anything helpful. I'm not a real geeky type.

I installed net runtime 3.5.1 directly from microsoft successfully. Still can't install Paint.net I'm too tired to have a nervous breakdown.

Update 8/29/2011: Tried again after discovering two folders that NET runtime 3.5.1 creates that were not deleted based on error message checked on Microsoft.com/support. I deleted those two folders, rebooted, and tried to install Paint.net again. Same error. I checked the event log and saw a big red X error that was Perlib error 0x80041009 and looked it up. Attched is a file showing what[attachment=5347:Perflib error 0x80041009.JPG Microsoft has to say about that error. I guess 'there that is' would be an appropriate ending to this long, drawnout tale. :(

Attached Thumbnails

• Perflib error 0x80041009.JPG

Edited by kwgrid, 29 August 2011 - 03:06 PM.

#17 kwgrid

kwgrid
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:50 PM

Can I get the latest Paint.net without the NET 3.5.1 install added? I have already installed it separately and with all the updates. I want to try just installing 'plain vanilla' latest version Paint.net to see if it'll work.

Nevermind..... I read that the 3.5.8 only installs of 3.5.1 isn't already there. I tried again. Still getting the clr20r3 error. sigh..... I'm giving up.

Edited by kwgrid, 30 August 2011 - 02:15 PM.

#18 Rick Brewster

Rick Brewster

Paint.NET Author and Developer

• Administrators
  • 13,584 posts
  • LocationKirkland, WA

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:52 PM

You won't be able to install Paint.NET without .NET anyway because the setup wizard is written in C#. There's no such thing as "plain vanilla" Paint.NET; it simply doesn't exist.
The Paint.NET Blog: http://blog.getpaint.net/
Donations are always appreciated! http://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

Posted Image

#19 kwgrid

kwgrid
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:30 PM

I have been working with Microsoft support to resolve this problem because other Microsoft apps such as Update would not run and for the same reason. It has taken weeks and several attempts at fixing the problem but it was resolved this morning with the latest instructions from Microsoft. I was able to reinstall Paint.Net without a problem. Just wanted to let you know.

#20 pyrochild

pyrochild
  • Administrators
  • 11,496 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:54 PM

Excellent news! :)
xZYt6wl.png