Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kwgrid

Paint.NET Setup Front-End

24 posts in this topic

I have been trying for days to install Paint.NET 3.5.8 without success. My previous copy became corrupted somehow. I have done dozens of troubleshooting routines including MSI to uninstall, register-cleaning, MS-Fix-it, 5 virus software scans (5 different updated products), driver updates, everything. I am running the Net framework 3.5 with the previous 2 and 3 there also. I tried to add the service packs to the latter but they were not for my system (If I recall correctly. I've done so many things it's hard to remember but I did read about that in one your posts.)

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 running Windows XP Home Edition ver 2002 SP3. Cpu 2.66GHZ, 1.12GB ram. Currently I have over 21gb free space.

I looked for another free photo editing software and decided to try Serif PhotoPlus basic. It downloaded and installed without a problem but it's not very user-friendly. I'm familiar with Paint.NET and I want it back!!!

Here's a picture of what I get when the installation commences:

post-84803-131429325328_thumb.jpg

Edited by kwgrid

Hmm... have you tried repairing the .NET framework?

And this may seem obvious and condescending, but you have rebooted, yes?

Hmm... have you tried repairing the .NET framework?

And this may seem obvious and condescending, but you have rebooted, yes?

Yes to both. I've done .NET framework repair at two different times. Also did a new download of it and a repair later.

Be as 'condescending' as you wanta be. :) I have no 'ego' when I'm trying to solve a problem. ha

I worked with computers many, many years ago but have been retired for many, many years. A lot has changed since then. I just want a solution!!

Thank you for your interest and for taking the time to reply.

OK, open your Temp folder (open Windows Explorer, then type %temp% in the location bar) and look for any files starting with PdnSetup. Do this after the installer crashes, but before closing anything.

If you find any such files, post them here.

OK, open your Temp folder (open Windows Explorer, then type %temp% in the location bar) and look for any files starting with PdnSetup. Do this after the installer crashes, but before closing anything.

I don't see a 'location' bar when I open Windows Explorer but I'm doing a search from the root for any files with pdnsetup in the name.

I'm doing a search for any files that include the word pdnsetup.

Okay. I found a folder with that name but nothing in it and a text file named PdnSetupshim.

Location: C;\Documents and Settings\onwer\local settings\temp

There are tons of files in there but only the folder name PdnSetup that's empty and the text file I mentioned, PdnSetupshim.

Oops!! Misunderstood your message. Will try installing again and do as you suggested.

Okay. The error message is still on my screen and I went to temp folder. There is the PdnSetup folder with tons of files in it this time. There is also the PdnSetupshim file which I will attch.

I don't see the file attached. ???? Will do it again just in case I did something wrong.

Okay. It says I am not permitted to upload this kind of file. boltbait.sad.png It's just a text file. Should I rename it and try again? I'll just copy and paste what's in it:

--- Paint.NET SetupShim starting, lpCmdLine='/suppressReboot', nCmdShow=10

CoInitialize(NULL) returned 0

pIAA = CoCreateInstance(CLSID_AutomaticUpdates) returned 0

pIAA->Pause() returned 80070424

Checking OS requirement

bIsWin7 = false

bIsVistaSP1 = false

bIsVista = false

bIs2003SP2 = false

bIs2003 = false

bIsXPSP3 = true

bIsXP = true

bResult = true

EnsureOSRequirement() returned 0

Called EnsureTrustedInstallerIsEnabledAsync()

Checking .NET requirement

bIsNetfx40ClientInstalled = false

bIsNetfx35SP1Installed = true

bIsNetfx35SP1ClientInstalled = false

bIsNetfx20Installed = true

bIsSupportedNetfxInstalled = true

bIsNetfxInstallerPresent = true

PreInstallPrompt() returned true

InstallNetfx() returned 0

Launching Paint.NET installer. bRebootRequired=false

Attaching a file with initial error message under "What does this error report contain? Apparently it's not finding a particular file.

post-84803-131431807749_thumb.jpg

Edited by kwgrid

FileNotFoundException? That is quite odd... Try running chkdsk

You can edit posts by the way ;)

FileNotFoundException? That is quite odd... Try running chkdsk

You can edit posts by the way boltbait.wink.png

So sorry about all the 'reply' posts instead of edits. I was soooo tired and wasn't thinking straight.

I ran chkdsk and apparently there were some files it had to restore. I've run that before and it didn't show anything. Was gonna screen cap it but it closed too fast.

I guess I should try installing Paint.net again, huh?

You have no idea how much I appreciate your help. I've been working on this for days. I use Paint.net a lot and I've been sort of going through 'withdrawal.' ha I'll try the install again.

Should I remove all of the files from the previous install attempt?

Edited by kwgrid

If you run chkdsk from a command prompt, it won't close on its own and you can see what's going on.

Make sure to run it with /F so it fixes the problems it finds.

If you run chkdsk from a command prompt, it won't close on its own and you can see what's going on.

Make sure to run it with /F so it fixes the problems it finds.

Didn't make any difference.

I get the same error when I try to run Windows update and also MS-Fixit. In all cases a file isn't found. They both read like the attached file which shows the general error info.

FYI, I installed two repair packages that installed without incident: PcKeeper (big ripoff...I could run those routines myself.) and ParetoLogic Health Advisor. They didn't make any difference with Windows Update, MS-Fixit, or Paint.Net. The latter 3 processes seem to be the only things that just won't run. Could it be something with the Windows installer? The other packages didn't use that service.

post-84803-131447970842_thumb.jpg

Edited by kwgrid

"PC Repair" programs are all BS and I hope you didn't pay anything for them.

I really have no idea at this point, but if even Windows Update is failing you may want to take the issue to a Microsoft support forum. They will probably be better able to help you.

I really have no idea at this point, but if even Windows Update is failing you may want to take the issue to a Microsoft support forum. They will probably be better able to help you.

I'm convinced that I have a Rootkit problem. ;( If that is confirmed, I will let you know and also let you know what fixed it....for future reference. Thank you so much for your efforts.

Unfortunately, I did pay for PC repair package and was disgusted to discover that it runs all the Windows functions I could have run myself. Well, I've always paid dearly for every meaningful lesson I ever learned. Seems that hasn't changed.

I just spent money I would rather have donated to you guys and my computer has been brought up to snuff in all kinds of ways, Microsoft antivirus was repaired and eliminated the fear that I had a rootkit. whew But it didn't fix my paint.net install problem. Still gettin' the equivalent of 'file not found.' The same error as I showed you before. *cry*

New entry: Now that my pc is all spiffy and stuff (supposedly), I checked the error log under applications and saw runtime errors. They involved runtime 2.0. One involved mscorlib not finding a file. These errors occurred when I attempted to download and install Paint.net 3.5.1. Soooo, what I did was to clean all evidence of that attempt...all paint.net and pdnsetup files...and check info on runtime errors. I didn't find anything helpful. I'm not a real geeky type.

I installed net runtime 3.5.1 directly from microsoft successfully. Still can't install Paint.net I'm too tired to have a nervous breakdown.

Update 8/29/2011: Tried again after discovering two folders that NET runtime 3.5.1 creates that were not deleted based on error message checked on Microsoft.com/support. I deleted those two folders, rebooted, and tried to install Paint.net again. Same error. I checked the event log and saw a big red X error that was Perlib error 0x80041009 and looked it up. Attched is a file showing whatpost-84803-131463031028_thumb.jpg

Edited by kwgrid

Can I get the latest Paint.net without the NET 3.5.1 install added? I have already installed it separately and with all the updates. I want to try just installing 'plain vanilla' latest version Paint.net to see if it'll work.

Nevermind..... I read that the 3.5.8 only installs of 3.5.1 isn't already there. I tried again. Still getting the clr20r3 error. sigh..... I'm giving up.

Edited by kwgrid

You won't be able to install Paint.NET without .NET anyway because the setup wizard is written in C#. There's no such thing as "plain vanilla" Paint.NET; it simply doesn't exist.

I have been working with Microsoft support to resolve this problem because other Microsoft apps such as Update would not run and for the same reason. It has taken weeks and several attempts at fixing the problem but it was resolved this morning with the latest instructions from Microsoft. I was able to reinstall Paint.Net without a problem. Just wanted to let you know.

...It has taken weeks and several attempts at fixing the problem but it was resolved this morning with the latest instructions from Microsoft. I was able to reinstall Paint.Net without a problem. Just wanted to let you know.

Mind sharing those instructions from MS so others too won't spend weeks pulling their hair out? Thanks!

Mind sharing those instructions from MS so others too won't spend weeks pulling their hair out? Thanks!

I would be happy to provide the instructions. I had to work around a .bat file that would not run by opening the command window and typing the instructions in myself. Some commands did not run but I kept going. I noticed during the process that a service was interfering with some commands and determined that it was ASP.NET. It did not disable when "Disable All" was selected. I had to manually disable it. This may have been the problem all along when attempting to remove old versions of .NET framework and/or installing the latest version. Someone might try disabling ASP.NET prior to removal of old versions of NET framework and installation of the latest version. That may be all that's needed. I'm not very 'techy' so I can't be sure of that. Just a thought. In the end, Paint.net installed with no problem.

The following are the instructions from Microsoft that fixed the problem (with a little ingenuity on my part ref the bat file and ASP.NET boltbait.smile.png ).

Clean Boot

=============

1. Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Click "OK" to restart your computer to Selective Startup environment.

5. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We may still manually run these programs later.

Step 1: Completely remove .NET Framework related folders and registry keys

==================================================

1. Click "Start", Run, type: "notepad C:\remove.bat" (without the quotation marks) and press "Enter". Choose "Yes" when you are prompted.

2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

@echo off

Rd C:\Windows\assembly /s /q

Rd "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET" /s /q

Del C:\Windows\System32\mscoree.dll /q

Del C:\Windows\System32\URTTemp\mscoree.dll /q

del %temp% /Q /F

MSIexec /unregister

MSIexec /regserver

Reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework" /f

Reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Integration" /f

Reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework SDK" /f

Reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup" /f

3. After you have pasted the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose "Yes" when you are prompted to save the file.

4. Click "Start", "Run", type: "C:\remove.bat" (without the quotation marks) and press "Enter" to run the commands we have pasted.

Step 2: Remove temp files

=============

1. Login to the Administrator account.

2. Please delete the contents inside the Temp folder in these three locations:

1). C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp

2). C:\Documents and Settings\(User Name)\Local Settings\Temp

3). C:\Windows\Temp

Note 1: I assume your system is installed on the C: drive. If it is installed on another drive, please modify the above location accordingly. Also, (User Name) is your system account name.

Note 2: Some files may not get deleted from Temp files. Please be assured that this is normal and we can ignore them.

Step 3: Manually downloading and installing Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5

=======================================================

Please note: The size of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a little big. Your patience to download the update is much appreciated.

1. Click the following link:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1

http://download.micr.../dotnetfx35.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982524)

http://download.micr...B982524-x86.exe

2. When the file download window appears, please click "Save", and follow the directions to save it on the Desktop. After downloading the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 setup file on your Desktop, double-click to manually install it. (Please install dotnetfx35.exe first.)

How to return from a Clean Boot state

=============================

1. Click "Start"->"Run", type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) and press ENTER.

2. On the "General" tab, click "Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services".

3. Click "OK". Click "Restart" when you are prompted to restart your computer.

--- At this point I installed Paint.net with no problem. Yay! :)

Damn, I was wishing a reboot was recommended by Microsoft :-). Seems like a lot of instruction for resolving this update and messing with already installed software which might have unintended consequences. I will try some other possibilities like installing within safe mode (if that is possible) or waiting for the next upgrade. Thank you for giving people the complete instruction for those who want to know!

Damn, I was wishing a reboot was recommended by Microsoft :-). Seems like a lot of instruction for resolving this update and messing with already installed software which might have unintended consequences. I will try some other possibilities like installing within safe mode (if that is possible) or waiting for the next upgrade. Thank you for giving people the complete instruction for those who want to know!

Create a restore point.

You can also just try stopping the ASP.NET service before installing the new Paint.net version. As I stated, it MIGHT be what screwed mine up the whole time. You do have to have the latest Net Framework so be sure your Paint.net install has that included if you don't already have it. If it still doesn't install or run correctly, older versions of Net Framework might be hanging out and need to be cleaned up.

Edited by kwgrid