How to Install Plugins ×

JPEG XR file type plugin

Chrysler

Plugin Description

This is a file type plugin that allows reading and writing of JPEG XR (aka HD Photo) image files. There has been an HD Photo plugin before, developed by Rick Brewster, that is no longer being maintained, however. That's why I decided to rewrite it and add some minor improvements (jxr file extension support, option to save as 8bpp grayscale, fixed and much improved metadata support).

Read support

Almost all pixel formats supported by JPEG XR can be loaded. However, Paint.NET requires the image to be stored as 32bpp RGBA in memory, so other source image formats will be converted first if required (this means you'll loose HDR data for example).

Write support

You can save images in the following pixel formats:

• 8bpp (grayscale)
  • 24bpp RGB
  • 32bpp RGBA (alpha channel)

Optionally, you can retain the Exif metadata from your source image (if present) and apply it to your JPEG XR image. To do that, check the appropriate setting in the save file dialog. This could be handy if you edit JPEG images from your camera and want to resave them as JPEG XR. NOTE: This should work with most metadata tags, but hasn't been tested thoroughly.

Instructions

Installing the plugin is easy. Follow the steps described in the official documentation.

Download

Source code and binary files are hosted on Codeplex.

Edited by toe_head2001
Attached Zip

Could you change it to save as a wdp file? Windows, at least my copy of it, doesn't recognize .jxr files.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

According to the JPEG XR standard the recommended file extension is .jxr, therefore I chose it as the default in the save dialog. But you're right, since Windows 7 still doesn't recognize it (not even .hdp) I'll better make .wdp the default again. (By the way, IE9 only offers .jxr when saving a JPEG XR image to disk.)

Thanks! Let us know when you get that done! ^_^

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Change is much appreciated. Thanks! ^_^

• 1 year later...

Thanks for this excellent plugin.

It would be good if all the basic Description metadata in Windows Explorer properties were supported: eg: Rating, Tags, Comments, Date Taken, Date Acquired are not preserved.

Also, the metadata that is supported is not being written to the file in Unicode (where the source file is Unicode). So, when I convert a TIFF to JPEG XR that is mixed Japanese/English, the Japanese characters turn out as "?????" in the result.

Edited by Paul Coddington

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I just tried this plugin for the first time with a jrx picture and this is the error message I received: 

Application version: paint.net 4.1.5

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: must be > 0.0
Parameter name: value
Actual value was 0.
   at PaintDotNet.Document.set_DpuX(Double value) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\Document.cs:line 362
   at PDNJPEGXRPlugin.JpegXRFileType.OnLoad(Stream input)
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 496
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

What, if anything, did I do wrong? How do I correct it? Thanks

• 5 months later...

FYI: The upcoming 4.2.1 update has JPEG XR support built-in, so this plugin will be blocked from loading.

Edit: Note that if you're using Windows 7 then you will still need this plugin. 

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg