Woven photo

Iwonder_who

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

I came across this technique and decided to have a go at it in pdn. I love the results and thought you might too! Your result should be this

5942361812_34209f5c93_z.jpg

5941824449_03062cb85c_z.jpg

First thing we will do is open our image and add a new layer. To this layer we are going to add a grid (render...grid). This grid should be even across the image and start and end gridlines at all edges. You need to mark your grid to show foreground only. I try and keep the grid lines to a managable level but you can use as many as you wish.

Using this grid we are going to copy strips of vertical and horizontal rows and columns into new layers.

5942399648_c82837b9ca_z.jpg

Having your active layer on the original image and using the grid as a guide, copy and paste double strips into new layers. In between each double strip leave a single strip.

5941824529_1ee48f86d7_b.jpg

Each new strip will need to be labeled vertical strip 1...2 etc, same for horizontal. You will end up with layers looking like this.

5941801723_126d4bc225_z.jpg

When you have all your strips you will need to add a drop shadow to each in turn. Width I used is 7 and Blur 10 with axis both on zero. Change this according to your personal preferences. (On doing more of these I can see you can merge all the vertical strips into 1 layer and the horizontal as well, this will give you less layers to struggle with)

5942362030_0b89ea8395_z.jpg

After you have applied all your drop shadows you will have something resembling this.

5942362088_e45d6213ab_z.jpg

This is where you will have to select sections from each strip to copy and paste into new layers over the top of the opposing layer. I like to start at the focal point and choose a section on a horizontal layer to lay over a vertical layer.

Copy from the horizontal layer and then paste into a new layer postioned above the appropriate vertical layer. (These "over strips" can also be placed in one layer at the top of your layer list if you wish) Do this as you look at your image alternating an under over weave pattern.

5942434678_98ca08dfca_z.jpg

When copying choose rectangle select and start and end in the middle of the cut out squares.

5941801963_bc1bfaf3c1.jpg

You will notice that each time you paste a section over that part of the drop shadow duplicates along with it. Clean this up by cutting away excess shadow sections.

You can then flatten your image and add a background layer colour etc or as I did a border around the image.

Have fun.

Cool effect with a very well-written tutorial to match, though I wonder why you didn't just use the weave plugin...

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Well that would be because I love reinventing the wheel! :/ Or probably truthfuly that I had no idea there was such a thing! Sorry... cant see where to remove the post now.... how do I do that?

The plugin isn't exactly the same as your tutorial. What it does is paste a black and transparent overlay over the image that makes it appear to be woven. If you use the plugin, you don't get the transparent holes and you can't do things like this:

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/pdnnoob/DSC00509woven.jpg

^made with your tutorial :D

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Oh Thanks pdnnoob I dont feel quite so stupid now...

I love the way yours looks and it certainly opens up different avenues for effects on each strip and the overal effects as well.

The plugin is quite useful but the tute allows greater flexibility & encourages thinking outside the box/creativity. I think you've done a great job with it. I will give it a whirl too.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

I enjoyed doing this tutorial. The directions were clear so even a beginner like me could follow along (albeit not easily). I also like the results.

th_wovenpyramid1.png Thanks for posting this tut.

Edited by Bob11

Thank you guys, enjoyed seeing your results and hearing how people enjoy trying it.

Just an aside, Tom the Troll, a couple of things that will help....

• Your photo is way too big for the forum, might want to save a smaller version for the forum :-)

• When you look at the negative spaces behind the weaves you will see the doubling of the shadows..... as mentioned in the last steps you need to elminate the doubling by selecting the shape deleting before you flatten your image.