JaffaCoder

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

Hey,

Moninca asked me how to make a colored eye like this:

augetut8.jpg

So I decided to make a tut.

You don´t need any plugin.

And now the tutorial ;)

Step 1: Use a picture like >>this<< and paste it in PDN.

Step 2:

• Select the ring, you want to color. (shift+mouse)
  • Invert selection.
  • Select the pupil, too. (CTRL+shift+mouse)
  • Invert the selection again

augetut3.jpg

Step 3:

• Add a new layer.
  • Use the colors you want and colorize the eye with Paintbrush tool ( :PaintBrushTool:)

augetut4.jpg

Step 4:

• Make sure, that you have selected the ring.
  • Now use Gaussian Blur.

augetut5.jpg

Step 5:

• Now go to the Layer Properties and change the mode to "overlay" (optional edit the opacity)
  • Use the Eraser tool (:EraserTool:) to clear the upper eyelid.

augetut7.jpg

Step 6:

• Now select all.
  • Use Glow. (You can use your own settings ;) )

augetut8.jpg

Finish :D

You can also make others with the same steps, just other colored ;)

augetut9.jpg

augetut10.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

This was a great way for me to practice using the Magic Wand. You should change the spelling of "insert" to "invert" in step two. Newbies like me might waste time looking for the "insert" tool. ;)

th_coloredeyes.png Thanks for the tut!

This is such a fun effect.... If you are "one eyed" about something here's a great way to show it lol

5968744593_eb82d60918_b.jpg

You can get great images to use from Flair buttons, already rounded!

:/I have a problem. when ever i change the

properties to overlay, the colors are only slightly visible.

Mmh. Post a screen, please ;)

sorry for an obvious question but I'm a newbie at the selection tools in paint.net... so how do I step 2? I tried to using the magic wand tool but that selected other things and I tried to select the ring and then the pupil but that didnt work... :(

<This area is still under construction>

My DA My blog

Favorite Quote: Life is pretty simple, you do some stuff, some works, some fails. You do more of what works, if it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is to always do something else. -Leonardo da Vinci

Yeah I got a bit lost following the instructions for step 2 as well.

Here's what I did.

coleye.png

After opening up your eye image add a new layer, now use the Eclipse selection tool. Imagine that the iris has a box drawn round it and place your pointer where the top left corner would be, hold down the left mouse button and drag to where the bottom right corner would be.

Now if the circle is not correctly aligned with the eye then hold down the right button as well as the left button ( This allows you to move the selected area around to align it ) once aligned let go of the right button and increase or decrease the size of your selected region.

Now to do the inner circle we must move upto the selection mode button at the top, the first circle was made with the replace mode the second uses the subtract mode so go ahead and select it.

Do exactly the same for the second circle as you did for the first but this time align with the pupil, once you have done this choose the paint brush and increase size to 60 and start colouring you will see it only colours in the ring you made it doesnt matter if you go over the lines as it will be invisible.

Once you are happy press ctrl + D to deselect.

Now double click on the layer with the colours ( in the layers window ) and change the layer properties.

Edited by minners71

@minners71 thanks that explanation really helped!

Here's my result! I also softened the picture and added text:

eyeofcolor.jpg

Edited by FallenWings

My DA My blog

Favorite Quote: Life is pretty simple, you do some stuff, some works, some fails. You do more of what works, if it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is to always do something else. -Leonardo da Vinci

Can i just say that instead of using the paintbrush you can find a color wheel, paste it on a new layer and re-size it to fit the pupil and the set the blending mode then to :Overlay: .

Or To make a better effect, why don't you just : Gaussian blur: the colour layer with radius 2?

@minners71 thanks that explanation really helped!

Here's my result! I also softened the picture and added text:

eyeofcolor.jpg

I Really like what you did here. It looks amazing!!

I Really like what you did here. It looks amazing!!

Thanks! I wanted the skin and the surrounding areas to look like the skin of a magazine model (They call them glamour portraits i think) but it didnt really work so I just softened it.

My DA My blog

• 3 months later...

I guess you can't do it with dark eyes - at least not going through the exact same steps. I found this pic and thought it was so weird I just had to try it for the laughs (this is the orig -unmodified- pic).

funnyeyes.jpg

All I was able to do was lighten the eye up (I started working on the left eye) a little bit to a reddish color.

Edited by jim100361

This is a great tutorial. I use it to re touch old B&W photographs. The end result can be "hit and miss", but I love experimenting with this. :) I use the skin tones pallete with this.

Edited by nitenurse79

ZXCBOoZ.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

:tardII:

Okay I'm new at this and hope I'm not missing a step or misunderstanding something obvious.

I get how to do everything except the Glow part - Am I suppose to open a new layer for that? My eye picture is not turning out at all like the other pictures in this tutorial :sad: .

For now I will play around to try to figure this out......About a year or so ago I a friend of mine introduced me to Paint.net and we played around with this tutorial and it worked. Unfortunately with my 42 year old brain I can't remember exactly what we did to get it to work.

Do I need to be more specific about anything? Like should I write out step by step of what I did?

thank you

Edited by KellyJ13