Harris shutter / tri-filter effect Tutorial

Penguinmandan

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

Bear with me, this is my first tutorial. This is a fairly simple way to make this effect, originally done with 3 different colored filters, it highlights motion with changing color.

Here's how you do it:

First, take your pictures, depending on how sharp you want the color differences to be, you should take 3 pictures, either in rapid succession, or over a long term (for clouds perhaps) also depending on how crisp you want the color differences you can change your shutter speed, longer for smoother color changes or faster for more distinct color changes. you're going to want to use a tripod to stabilize, as this process highlights motion.

Import your pictures, and open all three of them in paint.net

copy your second image into a new layer on the first (ctrl+shift+v)

repeat this with the third image. you now should have something like this:

Select the background layer go to curves (under adjustments) click on the drop down menu and set it to RGB. Deselect the red check box and slide down the line from the top right to the bottom right the layer should be all red. (sorry forgot picture)

now select the next layer, and again, open curves, be sure to be hit "reset" and then deselect the green box, and make the red and blue checked, if not already.

Now select the top layer and open curves again, hit reset, and unselect the blue checkbox and flatten the line, it should now look like this

now here's where the magic happens select the top layer and edit it's properties (right click, or in the bottom of the layers box) and select the "additive" blending mode:

repeat the process for the second layer, and viola! the non-moving part of your picture should be normal colored and the moving in several colors.

Here is the final result:

Another example with longer exposure time:

What can happen when your camera moves during the three pictures:

Hope you like it! I'm sure others will have more comments to improve/add to this process, but I have still to experiment very much with this effect myself. You can do this with as many pictures as you like, as long as it's in multiples of three. Anyone have have any idea to make the special colored areas darker/ more vivid?

• Upvote 2

• 5 years later...

I'm aware that this is a very old tutorial, that the author might not be around anymore, and that there's a plugin and a video tutorial related to this thread. But I've found this it, and I wanted to share some of my results from experimenting with it. :)

Spoiler

Harris%20shutter%20or%20tri%20filter%20e

I wasn't satisfied with this result. Moving the two additive layers (Green and Blue)  leaves the image with a border. It didn't look good.

Spoiler

After some tries, I chose to increase the size of the copies in the 'Additive' layers without moving them (just drag the selection 'nodes' while holding shift.) I believe this was after watching some other video tutorials about the effect. (By the way, since there's similar effects that go by different names: chromatic aberration, double color exposure, color shift, glitch effect, glitched TV/VHS effect, 3D effect, harris shutter effect... You name it. XD) So, I did this one look like a glitched VHS... I don't think it came out good. XD

Spoiler

I did this following this tutorial. Also, like almost all the tests, this one has the original image blended in with the one that got the effects. I chose not to add a depth of field effect like in other ones I did.

Spoiler

I noticed that this effect can work creating 4 layers as CMYK (Cyan-Magenta-Yellow-Black) and setting the CMY layers to 'Lighten' over the K layer. And, then, moving/resizing the Lighten layers to get the effect.

I had a lot of fun with this. :) Some programs, like Photoshop and Gimp, have the option to edit Channels (RGB layers.) Also...I should have remembered that the RGB color model is an additive one:doh:

PS: The photo belongs to me. And each of these results have extra effects on them.

Edited by Beta0
The results were displayed as links.
  • Upvote 1

(Please, be careful. Some of the sites I'm on might not be family-friendly. 😱 )