Photo

how to merge two pics? cant do it!

4 replies to this topic

#1 mpgovernale

mpgovernale
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:50 AM

Hi! I am doing an art course. I have painted quick portraits that I want to see with different backgrounds. I have scanned a portrait, and I can delete the (white) background so I get a checkered one and put it in a paint.net file. I can put the background (a) say in another file. I can't merge the two together.

To practise, I have opened an image (pear) from the net, deleted the white background around the pear, and tried to copy and paste that in my background. What I get is the pear with the white around it on top of my background. Not what I was expecting.

I have looked for tutorials, but can't find one that I understand (stupid me) or that works. I have not worked with layers before, except cakes!

Please can you help, as I am fed up with banging my head on the wall? Thank you, thank you, thank you!

mp

#2 pdnnoob

pdnnoob

2013 Radiance Award Winner

• Moderators
  • 2,419 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:16 PM

Add a new layer, then paste the pear on the new layer.

EDIT: if you haven't learned layers, get to work! That is one of your most valuable tools in paint.net or any other graphics editor that has them.

Edited by pdnnoob, 01 July 2011 - 01:19 PM.

noobsig-1.png
what I do all summer Emote Cursor Pack 'noob gallery
No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait
Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

#3 mountnman

mountnman
  • Members
  • 580 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:43 PM

take a look at this tut. i think it will help you quite a bit on the basic how-tos in PDN
http://forums.getpai...ed-jan-22-2008/
Posted Image
SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

#4 johoe

johoe
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:05 AM

edit: just remembered this

the key is to paste the portrait to the background as a new layer, dont save the portrait with transparent background, just highlight the portrait with magic wand, copy it and Ctrl+Shift+V onto the new background.

Edited by johoe, 02 July 2011 - 08:19 PM.

#5 elaf

elaf
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:53 AM

You can also merge parts of the picture with variable transparency by using the eraser
(like in other, more expensive painting applications):

Use the color selector. Set the transparence of the primary color less than 10 (2 is a good
value).
Set the brushsizeto 50 or more.

As more as you use the eraser, as more you can see from the pictures in the other panels.