WOTW Theme Discussion Thread

Possum Roadkill

Make sure to post your choice for the next theme !!!! I want to have it up this weekend ! Don't make me wait or I promise you this, I'll choose something pretty weird. And you all know just how weird I can be ! :D

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

• 2 months later...

Sorry to leave everyone hanging. I needed some time off. I'm ready to get back to the WOTW if anyone is interested. I can backtrack on this thread an choose a theme or if anyone has a new idea, please post it in this thread.

Continued from the previous WOTW 37 Discussion Thread......

Your enthusiasm is not in question. I believe you're a massive asset to the forum!

If the competitions are poorly patronized, then let them go cold for a while and then bring them back at a later stage to see if interest has improved.

Personally I feel there are too many competitions for the total number of people submitting entries. If there was ONE monthly competition I bet entries would improve. So how about quietly (or not so quietly) murdering a couple of competitions and allowing the winner of the next comp to select both the theme and the type of competition?

For what you do here.... thank you.

Thank you, I appreciate your feeling that the comps are an asset to the forum. I completely agree! I feel your suggestions have much merit and have spent the time away thinking about them quite a bit. I agree that at this time, we do have too many comps and for that reason, I have decided to go back to something I mentioned several months ago. I'm going to combine all of the comps I host into the WOTW comp. Each WOTW comp will have a style and a theme. The style being the previously separate SAC or Photo Manip comps along with Realism, Abstract, Typography, and other styles that may be chosen to fit a particular theme. The theme will be chosen from suggestions made on this thread by all the interested parties involved. I think in many cases a month might be too long a period for most themes so I plan on keeping the two week format going for now, with a three week or month long comp thrown in when the difficulty of the theme warrants. This in no way is intended to limit the other comps hosted by other members as they are free to run their comps in the way they see fit. This is only for the WOTW comp that I have been hosting for some time. It is my hope that it will help me to better manage this comp and give it my full attention.

• 1 month later...

If anyone has any ideas for the next round (or any round) of the WOTW, please post it here !!!!!! :D :D :D :D

If anyone has any ideas for the next round (or any round) of the WOTW, please post it here !!!!!! :D :D :D :D

This is just a perspective on the idea of a desktop or wallpaper image ...

There is some beautiful artwork made into backdrops for desktops. However ... most of them forget the fact that there are a lot of people who use the desktop as a place to keep links to programs and file management, desktop widget, and an assortment of this and thats ...

That being said, some of the best wallpapers from years past tended to have large borders, etc. One of the neatest ones I've lost in the shuffle was designed with the concept of docking those icons and making them part of the background. It was a Star Trek Next Generation themed interface (which is probably why I did lose it somewhere in the mix) but I've seen lots of "Interfaces as desktops" that are really nice in both form and function.

My general idea to design a desktop with the idea of creating a moderate amount of docking space and room to allow desktop widgets for the Vista/Windows 7 crowd ... Or optionally a two part entry with one designed for non widget users and one with them in mind.

If that doesn't make sense I can sketch something up to demonstrate what I'm thinking.

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Then you have the really umm...people who have nothing on their desktop - like me.

A sketch would be good.

(silly commentary removed ... but some different silly stuff added below to replace it)

*** EDIT: IDEA SKETCH: th_desktop_sketch2.jpg

More or less this is the concept. Obviously this example lacks a lot of artistry but shows an idea of creating a wallpaper to "dock" the icons in this case into some floating areas ... This can be done in a bunch of different ways. Lots of potential 3D design concepts could be employed. For a competition this could cause some people to go a little crazy arranging their desktops to get snapshots ... Not sure this is such a good idea in hindsight or not. But interface designs can open up a whole lot of expression in design work ... Websites and all the rest are more or less of a similar idea basis (all the icons, buttons, etc). This is just relatively static underneath your icons and what nots.

Edited by delpart

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Similar to this are some of the features that are presumeably going to be part of the Windows 8

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GLRqh2I01UE/TZwFzsFlCNI/AAAAAAAAAco/OIAuZcVWxSM/s1600/windows_8_superbar.jpeg

http://allinonereview.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Microsoft-Windows-8-new.png

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
Replaced overlarge images with links (Rule #29).

I am really liking these ideas. Let us try to formulate an idea that I can put into action for a comp. Additional ideas anyone? Limitations/constraints? I see this as a very flexible and open idea for a comp. Let's refine the ideas a little and we can go with it.

Sorry for the delay on getting the comp posted to the poll. It has been a very bad week. Life happens and sometimes takes us to places we really don't want to go. Times like these give us limited choices and mine was to spend it with family.

• 1 month later...

Hi, back again. Maybe I can get the next round started soon. Be thinking "Timeline", as in Facebook Timeline. Make an image that you would like to have on your Facebook page as your Timeline image (or one for a friend, if they ask really nice and maybe bring chocolate......) :cookie::coffee:

I'll check back in when I can and see if anyone is interested.......or irritated........or something.......

Hi, back again. Maybe I can get the next round started soon. Be thinking "Timeline", as in Facebook Timeline. Make an image that you would like to have on your Facebook page as your Timeline image (or one for a friend, if they ask really nice and maybe bring chocolate......) :cookie::coffee:

I'll check back in when I can and see if anyone is interested.......or irritated........or something.......

Without logging into Facebook, or needing Facebook ... or mainly, not wanting to be anywhere near Facebook .... (sigh).

Thankfully Google seems to show pics people have made. So basically we'd be creating headers or Banners for a webpage? This could be adaptable for Wordpress and other more useful things than just Facebook. So would this be themed or just open ended comp more or less?

Just discussing. My other idea is a little hokey I'll admit. On that note the docking area concept can be used for building websites or a good exercise in framing some things for a website, etc. I think I forgot to mention that aspect. I tend to get rather focused at times.

And welcome back. Hope all is well.

Edited by delpart

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Sounds good to me Possum Roadkill. Also, real life happens to all of us. Take your time, I seem to be missing a few deadlines lately myself. :)

Skystars5banner2.jpg

Since there have only been two people respond to this idea, let's try something else. Here are some of the suggestions that have been made from the WOTW and SAC threads. Do any of these interest anyone?

balloons

insects

dragons

life in caves

make your own family crest

distorted perspective

city scape

forests

things made from dots

renewable energy

what's at the end of the internet?

shadows

shades of gray

liquid cooled .....

pick a line from a song and paint it

cloud nebulae

eclipse

create a space station or Idea - space station orbiting a planet

"2001 A Space Odyssey" like effect (when the spaceship is going across colorfull space distortion)

best space pic (enter what you think is your best piece, even if it's been posted on the forum)

warp drive/ hyperspace (you know like when the Enterprise goes into warp drive)

Spacecraft's scraps / graveyard of ships destroyed space debris field

The view from an alien prison cell of the alien sky out the window and part of the cell.

Balloons,insects,dragons,life in caves,make your own family crest,

distorted perspective,city scape,forests,things made from dots,renewable energy,

pick a line from a song and paint it, cloud nebulae, and eclipse all sound very intriguing. :)

Skystars5banner2.jpg

• 5 months later...

I'm going to try to get the WOTW going again if anyone is interested. I have a few ideas for themes rolling around in my head, so if you have some ideas you would like to share, please post them here. - Possum

• Upvote 1

*sigh* I'll enter for cannon fodder :) I've only ever won when no-one else entered :) :)

Lol me too. I don't know how much time I'll be able to spend on it anyway. Somehow, I've been roped into doing a bit of landscape design and drafting/mapping for the County park lakes. The lakes have silted in over the last 40 years or so and they are trying to find a way to dredge them and rehabilitate the area. We are planning on making the larger one deep enough to hold fish (other than carp) and the other smaller two into outdoor labs for people to see native wetland plants/wildlife habitat. They may even bring back the paddle boats! Much fun !

Anyway, here is the past list that was compiled a page or two back.

balloons

insects

dragons

life in caves

make your own family crest

distorted perspective

city scape

forests

things made from dots

renewable energy

what's at the end of the internet?

shadows

shades of gray

liquid cooled .....

pick a line from a song and paint it

cloud nebulae

eclipse

create a space station or space station orbiting a planet

"2001 A Space Odyssey" like effect (when the spaceship is going across colorfull space distortion)

best space pic (enter what you think is your best piece, even if it's been posted on the forum)

warp drive/ hyperspace (you know like when the Enterprise goes into warp drive)

Spacecraft's scraps / graveyard of ships destroyed space debris field

The view from an alien prison cell of the alien sky out the window and part of the cell.

We also had this suggestion....(that I like very much by the way)

(silly commentary removed ... but some different silly stuff added below to replace it)

*** EDIT: IDEA SKETCH: th_desktop_sketch2.jpg

More or less this is the concept. Obviously this example lacks a lot of artistry but shows an idea of creating a wallpaper to "dock" the icons in this case into some floating areas ... This can be done in a bunch of different ways. Lots of potential 3D design concepts could be employed. For a competition this could cause some people to go a little crazy arranging their desktops to get snapshots ... Not sure this is such a good idea in hindsight or not. But interface designs can open up a whole lot of expression in design work ... Websites and all the rest are more or less of a similar idea basis (all the icons, buttons, etc). This is just relatively static underneath your icons and what nots.

I also thought of a few more the other day...

Robot animals (or robot insects)

Celebrity Zombies (photo manipulation)

Gaga Someone (as in make someone look like Lady Gaga or maybe Nicki Minaj - photo manipulation)

Alien attack or Flying saucer attack (photo manipulation or original art)

Things that go bump in the night ( From the Scottish Prayer - From ghoulies and ghosties. And long-leggedy beasties. And things that go bump in the night, Good Lord, deliver us! ) Original artwork.

Some of these might take more than a week, but I don't think we really need to stick to it being a week long comp just because the title says "of the Week". So if you like one of these ideas, think about how long it might take to create something and let me know and we can decide on the length of the comp based on the difficulty of the theme.

I'd like to get it going this weekend (at least by Monday) so let me know what you all think. Tell your friends, family and pets. Let's try to get a lot of entries!

I've been looking in the archieves, nice stuff.

It takes me forever to crank out create the smaller images in the sig and banner compititions. How much time do we get for wallpaper? :P

Love to give it a try.

Edit...Duh. Silly me. WOTW.

Still love to try.

Edited by doughty

SloppySig.png