A way to create more abstract...

MadJik

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download the PDF

Possum Roadkill said:

My favorite new abstract ! Lovely, simply lovely. I'm in awe. Please teach me how you did this.

vegetal-journey.jpg

dug said:

I like everything you do, nice style. You always leave me thinking,my! how did he do that? ...

Here is an answer... as most of the work is made of experience I just stop when I'm happy with a result. And most of the time I can't remember the path that lead to it.

Do some abstract with PDN V2 (V1 was made in 2008 and has been lost with the transfert of the forum...)

My definition:

Some abstract is something that looks like nothing, but it is still nice to look or so intrigating...

So this is only a guide to process and you must fill free to use other effects or settings to create your own abstract art.

My example:

V2

ab299.jpg

V1 to remind you...

ab20.jpg

Needed plugins:

Color flip

Kaleidoscope

Perlin texture

Polar transformation

Seamless texture maker

Shape3D secret #1 and #2 (see below)

Tiles reflection XY

:Warning: I won't tell you to hide/show the layers but I hope you'll be able to do it by yourself.

As well the pictures are only details to fit in the 800x600 dimensions (or 600x800).

My tutorial:

01. 🆕 create a new large image (4000x3000).

ab201.jpg

02. :Plugins: With this settings run a perlin texture to obtain a wavy colorful rainbow. Don't forget to set the orientation to Switched.

ab202.jpg

03. :DuplicateLayer: Duplicate the layer.

ab203.jpg

04. :Plugins: On the top layer run a Tiles reflection XY with this settings.

ab204.jpg

05. :Plugins: Then run the Seamless texture maker with the default settings.

ab205.jpg

06. :Plugins: This is (what I call) the secret #2 of Shape3D. It creates a distortion of the image. So use the following settings to obatin the same effect.

ab206.jpg

07. :DuplicateLayer: Duplicate the bottom layer. Then :MoveLayerUp: move the new layer on the top of the list.

ab207.jpg

08. :Plugins: Again with shape3d, this is (what I call) the secret #1 of Shape3D. It creates a spheric distortion of the image. So use the following settings to obatin the same result.

ab208.jpg

09. :DuplicateLayer: Duplicate the top layer and :FlipHorizontal: flip it Horizontaly.

ab209.jpg

10. Press F4 :LayerProperties:, and play with the blend mode to find interesting results...

ab210a.jpg

ab210b.jpg

ab210c.jpg

ab210d.jpg

ab210e.jpg

ab210f.jpg

I've chosen the Lighten mode:

ab210g.jpg

11. On the second layer from the top, press F4 :LayerProperties:, and play again with the blend mode to find interesting results...

I've chosen the Negation mode:

ab211.jpg

-------------------

:SaveAs: :Warning: As you've finished the first half of this tut, it's a good idea to save your work now (if it isn't done yet).

-------------------

12. :MergeLayerDown: Merge down the 3 top layers : :Warning: to keep the cascading blend mode, start with the second from the top, then the top layer.

Optionaly you could adjust the color with :AutoLevel: autolevel.

ab212.jpg

13. :DuplicateLayer: Duplicate the top layer and repeat the last effect Ctrl+F it was shape3D.

ab213.jpg

14. :Plugins: You could flip the colors using the color flip plugin as we started with some random kind of color it could be interesting to change that.

ab214.jpg

15. :Plugins: Use the kaleidoscope to create some beautiful image. Test the piece selector with different values.

ab215.jpg

16. :DuplicateLayer: Duplicate the top layer and :Plugins: do a Polar transformation with the default values.

ab216.jpg

17. Still on the first layer from the top, :Plugins: run the Shape3D with previuos settings except Texture map to Full Cylinder map and texture rotation to 90°.

ab217.jpg

18. On the second layer from the top, :Plugins: run the Shape3D with previuos settings except texture rotation back to 0°.

ab218.jpg

19. On the top layer, press F4 :LayerProperties:, choose a blend mode (Darken).

ab219.jpg

20. On the second layer from the top, press F4 :LayerProperties:, choose a blend mode (Lighten).

ab220.jpg

21. On the third layer from the top, press F4 :LayerProperties:, choose a blend mode (Glow).

ab221.jpg

22. :SaveAs: Save as... to keep a full version with layers and :Flatten: flatten the image : [Ctrl] + [shift] + F

ab222.jpg

23. :Resize: Optionaly you could resize to a usable size like 1600x1200 with best quality resampling.

ab223.jpg

24. And also optional, do a autolevel adjustment :AutoLevel:

ab224.jpg

End of tutorial

Enjoy and let me see your abstracts...

Hey, MadJik, I rarely visit the forums these days, but when I read through your tutorial, I accidentally made this while struggling to make something. I created my own texture, and used a bit of your tutorial to create the abstract pattern.

th_NightSailing.png

Edited by Lance McKnight

Officially retired from this forum. Have a nice day.

Hey, MadJik, I rarely visit the forums these days, but when I read through your tutorial, I accidentally made this while struggling to make something. I created my own texture, and used a bit of your tutorial to create the abstract pattern.

th_NightSailing.png

Good!

That's what I want: my tuts should give you the desire to try something new for you and not only repeat exactly what I've done...

Thanks for feedback.

Ha,Ha,Ha, sorry, I am a bit slow sometimes. :) I totally understand the cascade merging of layers.I went wrong at the polar transformation step and got my layers mixed up.One and a half hours later I saw what I was doing wrong.Now I am kicking myself.Still,all great fun. ;)

• 4 years later...
  • Ego Eram Reputo featured this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

<3 @MadJik!

I saw that way too late. Sorry. Thank you for sharing your result! :cake: :coffee:

Where are you for so long? Hopefully soon we will see you again in the forum.

04-May2019hss.png

• Like 1

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

<3 @MadJik!

Sorry! I'm sure I wasn't paying attention. :cake: :coffee:

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png