Shattered Glass Effect (Sort of complicated)

Celestrial

Yeah, so after i made my making a galaxy tutorial, i decided to make another, so here we are!

We will be making this today:

shatteredresult.png

Another Example:

shatteredhybrid.png

Another example:

shatteredreality.png

PLUGINS NEEDED:

Outline Object

So, create a new canvas of your choice (preferably a bit larger than the image you want to "shatter"), and fill the background black

shattered1.png

Then take the photo you want to "shatter" and put it on a new layer.

shattered2.png

Then, this is where you make the shape of the "shards". Select your image randomly like this:

shattered3.png

Then cut and paste in a new layer. Name it Shard 1, do this for all the shards you want to make, in this case, I will only make 2

shattered4.png

OPTIONAL:

Select small portions of the picture and paste them on a new layer (this is the little "fragments" of glass you see) like so:

shattered5.png

Then, use Layer - > Rotate/Zoom tool to turn your shards how ever you want.

shattered6.png

Move the shards how ever you like....:

shattered7.png

Then, use outline object on your "shards" two times like this:

Make sure to do this for ALL the shards

shattered8.png

Then use the magic wand tool to select the outside of your "shard". Press control + i and copy the rotated shard. Then use the move selection tool.

shattered9.png

This part is a little complicated, paste your copied shard on top of the original one, move it in the direction you rotated it in 1 pixel by pressing your arrow keys in the direction you rotate it(So, if i rotate the shard top right, i would press up and right), repeat it how ever many time you want (this is the thickness of the glass). The idea is like this tutorial, how you layer something to make it 3-D.

shattered10.png

Then use outline object on it like earlier, then glow it with these settings:

shattered12.png

Make sure to do that for ALL shards:

shattered13.png

And you're basicly done!

You can also add a "shine" to it by using a gradient glow.

Result:

shatteredresult.png

Comments and feedback welcome :D

EDIT: I used only one outline for the tutorial, which is why my result may be different than yours, if you do it like i said, you will have the glass effect of example #2 on top of this post.

Edited by Celestrial

8el4.png

Don't go gentle in to that good night, rage on against the dying light.

Great tutorial & a great result Celestrial.

IMO you should have put the end result of the tutorial up as the headline picture for "We will be making this today".

Otherwise I can't wait to have a fiddle with this one.

Cheers,

Edited by ventor1
naturesig.png

Great tutorial & a great result Celestrial.

IMO you should have put the end result of the tutorial up as the headline picture for "We will be making this today".

Otherwise I can't wait to have a fiddle with this one.

Cheers,

Thanks, i updated it now

8el4.png

• 1 month later...

After many hours of trying to figure out how to generate the edge of the glass shards, I think I got the gist of it. (I copied the shard image to a new layer, used the arrow keys to move it and then merged that layer with the shard layer.) But mine did not come out looking like broken glass. More like a jigsaw puzzle. Any ideas on how I can get better results? I especially like the first one you did.

[/url]th_AmericanIdol.jpg

Edited by Bob11

A well written tute & a great outcome. I especially like the second (blue one). Good on you!

Bob11, nothing wrong with that either. I like it.

Madjik's reminds me of broken sandstone. Very nice outcome too.

This tute has given me a lot of inspiration & I am sure that others will think so too. I went off the rails a bit & thinking about Madjik's image, it tried a few different things & this is what I came up with:

th_Panic.png

Thank you for taking the time & effort to write such a great tute!

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

A well written tute & a great outcome. I especially like the second (blue one). Good on you!

Bob11, nothing wrong with that either. I like it.

Madjik's reminds me of broken sandstone. Very nice outcome too.

This tute has given me a lot of inspiration & I am sure that others will think so too. I went off the rails a bit & thinking about Madjik's image, it tried a few different things & this is what I came up with:

th_Panic.png

Thank you for taking the time & effort to write such a great tute!

As I'd inspired you, you've inspired me back...

th_abstract52_800.jpg

And this is something I've done in june 2007:

th_paves.jpg

Celestrial, see what you have done - you've inspired new ways of working. Must go back & try this tute again. Hopefully I can stay focused this time.

Madjik, well done. Both are fantastic!

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Thanks for the tip about Trail. Much faster, easier, and with better results. But how did you get the clear plate glass effect? I read through Making Backgrounds of Images Transparent and can now do this, but when I cut the glass, only the image in the clear background looks cut. [/url] th_osama.jpg

I can't find a place to delete this post. But I figured out how to get the clear pane glass effect. The key was deselecting my shards before I started manipulating them. I love the look of this effect.

th_shatteredgorilla.jpg

Edited by Bob11

• 2 weeks later...

After many hours of trying to figure out how to generate the edge of the glass shards, I think I got the gist of it. (I copied the shard image to a new layer, used the arrow keys to move it and then merged that layer with the shard layer.) But mine did not come out looking like broken glass. More like a jigsaw puzzle. Any ideas on how I can get better results? I especially like the first one you did.

th_AmericanIdol.jpg

You can use the "gradient shine" technique to add some reflection to it

Just make sure you have a direction for the source of light.

EDIT:

You can also add a bit of motion blur to make it look like it's falling

And i have another tutorial comming up too :D

Edited by Celestrial

8el4.png

• 2 months later...

Here's my try, even though this topic isn't very active! I enjoyed learning a new technique today. Thanks for the Tut.

th_604623_60646988smaller.png

just noticed that you can't really see the effect on white, so here's my other try. sorry to repost. Hope that is okay.

th_Untitled1-Copy.png

Edited by venicet

Here's my try, even though this topic isn't very active! I enjoyed learning a new technique today. Thanks for the Tut.

th_604623_60646988smaller.png

just noticed that you can't really see the effect on white, so here's my other try. sorry to repost. Hope that is okay.

th_Untitled1-Copy.png

You should outline it twice with the outline objects tool, give it more "glow" than just a white outline, i did that and got a better result for the glass's edge, it looks like in the first example (one with the blue monster)

8el4.png

You should outline it twice with the outline objects tool, give it more "glow" than just a white outline, i did that and got a better result for the glass's edge, it looks like in the first example (one with the blue monster)

thanks for the tip. I knew it was "off" somehow and you pinpointed the problem! I'm assuming you mean outline before making the multiple layers, not after all the work is done at the end?

thanks for the tip. I knew it was "off" somehow and you pinpointed the problem! I'm assuming you mean outline before making the multiple layers, not after all the work is done at the end?

Yes, outline it before making layers, otherwise you just outline the shape of the glass piece

8el4.png

You can use the "gradient shine" technique to add some reflection to it

Just make sure you have a direction for the source of light.

EDIT:

You can also add a bit of motion blur to make it look like it's falling

And i have another tutorial comming up too :D

By "gradient shine" do you mean Gradient Mapping or something else? In either case, can you give me further explanation on how to use the technique? Same with Motion Blur. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

By "gradient shine" do you mean Gradient Mapping or something else? In either case, can you give me further explanation on how to use the technique? Same with Motion Blur. Thanks.

Gradient shine is when you use a white/transparent gradient on a corner of and object to make it shiny.

You can use motion blur by setting the blur to opposite the direction you want your glass to "fall"

(I haven had much experience with motion blur so i wouldn't know)

8el4.png

• 2 months later...

Gradient shine is when you use a white/transparent gradient on a corner of and object to make it shiny.

You can use motion blur by setting the blur to opposite the direction you want your glass to "fall"

(I haven had much experience with motion blur so i wouldn't know)

I just noticed today your reply. Thanks for the explanation. When I try another one, I'll have to try using a transparent gradient, although I'm not sure exactly where it should be applied.

I just noticed today your reply. Thanks for the explanation. When I try another one, I'll have to try using a transparent gradient, although I'm not sure exactly where it should be applied.

Put the white where you want the "light" to shine, make it fade out so it has sort of reflection

8el4.png