SAC Special Discussion Thread

Possum Roadkill

AbstractSpace3DText_Banner.png

Space Art Competition Special Theme Discussion Thread

THEME IS: THEMES WILL BE CHOSEN FROM THIS DISCUSSION. SEE BELOW

SAC Comp Rules:

All submissions must be created in Paint.net with the exception of renders and stock photos when allowed.

When they are allowed, obviously you cannot use the stocks or renders as your entire submission, so the majority of your image should be created in Paint.net.

When Theme Rules allow, you must post a link to any stocks, renders, images or parts of images you did not create in Paint.net,

i.e. fractals created in a fractal generator program or textures created in another program of any kind.

Minimum size is 800 X 600. There is no Maximum Size.

Special Rule #5. Do not anger the Possum.

Submission Rules

All images must be submitted to me in a PM.

Do no post your image in this thread !

Do not post your images in your gallery or any other gallery until this comp is over !

I will post your image in the poll, that is the only time your image should be seen before the voting begins.

Do not sign your image or put any kind of identifiable marker or logo in your image that people will link to you.

You may post your image on any other website where you are a member

(i.e. Deviant Art, PdN Fans Forum, Facebook or any other forum or website, just not on this website until the comp has concluded.

NO PLACEHOLDERS! Do not send an entry until it is a finished product. NO WIPS (works in progress) !

No images previously submitted will be allowed.

I reserve the right to add to the rules as people do things to annoy me. (See special rule # 5.)

I could come up with a theme for the next round of the SAC, but I thought it might be more appropriate if I turned to you the members of this forum and asked what you would like to do. So, I'm now taking suggestions in this thread and will choose the next theme from the suggestions given by what seems to be the most popular. Heck, I might even throw in a suggestion or two myself. So, make a suggestion, or two, or more and if you don't have one to make, then comment on the ones that other members make. Sound fair? I hope so !

Possum

Edited by Possum Roadkill

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

:) I might suggest um.. something like places unknown?

Like not just the planets,(although those are cool) but what might really be out there other than planets? Galaxies, Black Holes, Cloud Nebulae.. Weird stuff that one could use their imagination on. Just a suggestion.

Untitled.jpg

Are stocks allowed for this round? I couldnt find where it was stated if we can or cant use them.

As for suggestions: some sort of eclipse? Has that been done before?

Wait! No matter where you go, there you are!

We're all wise guys.

Are stocks allowed for this round? I couldnt find where it was stated if we can or cant use them.

As for suggestions: some sort of eclipse? Has that been done before?

I actually like that idea. Let's have a competition for making solar eclipses. I probably won't be able to join, but I'd love to see the results!

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

@ Rachel1995 Black holes and galaxies have already been used as a theme. Cloud nebulae have been included in many of the entries, but has not in of itself been used as a theme. I like that idea because I have seen many different techniques in creating them in Paint.NET.

@ Heatstroke I think whether or not stocks would be allowed would depend on the theme. But it would be OK with me if we included stocks if you guys want to. Oooh I really like the eclipse idea. That's a good one.

@ Frontcannon. I like that idea. That could lend itself to a whole bunch of ideas and interpretations.

@ Pdnnoob I like the idea of just eclipse, that way it can be a solar or lunar or even planetary eclipse.

OK, that's 3 good suggestions, cloud nebulae, eclipse, and left behind. I have one of my own that is a little out there so to speak. Steam Punk in space. I'm thinking you could have steam punk spacesuits, spacecraft, lunar or planet rovers, you know stuff like that.

OK ladies and gents, keep the ideas coming!

@ Heatstroke I think whether or not stocks would be allowed would depend on the theme. But it would be OK with me if we included stocks if you guys want to.

I think it is always a nice challenge to create spacescapes without using stocks. Especially if the theme ends up being nebulae.

Wait! No matter where you go, there you are!

We're all wise guys.

I would like to throw in space ships (or UFO's as per yellowman's suggestion) @ 100% PDN.

In line with 100% PDN (& for my own info), are weird and wonderful brushes from Photoshop used in Custom Mini Brushes considered as PDN?

Cheers,

V

naturesig.png

I would like to throw in space ships (or UFO's as per yellowman's suggestion) @ 100% PDN.

In line with 100% PDN (& for my own info), are weird and wonderful brushes from Photoshop used in Custom Mini Brushes considered as PDN?

Cheers,

V

I use custom brushes all the time. Most of them I make myself, but I have a ton of Photoshop brushes too. It's OK with me if people use brushes.

I thought we had used space ships before. SAC - Space Craft

love the left behind idea.. so many possibilities

steam punk? guess im gonna have to google that one

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

I'm all for a new theme, maybe something with planets and nebulae :) We should be redundant, and reuse themes to see what people come up with.

but i had a new idea; what if instead we submitted, IOO, our best space pic?

just an idea. :)

Space...The Final Frontier. -James Tiberius Kirk; circa 2260s

YLOD VICTIM

OK ! Well, I'm sorry I've not been on here in a few days. Sorry for the delay. It was for lack of a better word, a trying week. I've had better, but now that it's Friday night, it's time to get the show back on the road.

I think we've had some really great ideas put forth and I greatly appreciate the support. I'll put something together and have it up tonight. Same with the WOTW. I have been sent a theme for it, but just haven't been able to get things put together. So without further adieu........

Man you guys have made it really hard. So many good ideas ! What am I going to do?

Hmmmm. I can't believe nobody liked the steam punks in space idea !

OK !!!! The next round has been added. I want to keep this thread open for discussion on NEW THEME IDEAS. If you have an idea that would would like to share with everyone and have it considered for inclusion as a SAC Theme, please post it in this thread ! I will choose the themes from the SAC from this discussion thread for most if not all the SAC rounds from this point on. So keep the ideas coming !

• 3 weeks later...

InnerSpace: Show us what goes on in the space between atoms and their particles.

Winners announced in the SAC #11 Discussion thread !

@ Jerry, I think that's a good idea. It could run for a week and people could enter what they feel is their best space art piece, even if it's been posted on the forum. That would certainly generate a lot of entries and it would be fun to see.

@ MadJik, Wonderful ideas ! I like them very much. **added to the list !

@ EER Did I mention that to you? :lol: I had that on my original list from months ago. Brilliant idea ! ** added to the list !

OK here is what we have so far.....

cloud nebulae

eclipse

left behind COMPLETED

UFO

view from the pilote's seat (in the cockpit, alien or human craft)

create a space station

"2001 A Space Odyssey" like effect

(when the spaceship is going across colorfull space distortion)

InnerSpace: Show us what goes on in the space between atoms and their particles

best space pic (enter what you think is your best piece, even if it's been posted on the forum)

Soooooo, what does everyone want to do for the next round? Post your thoughts here !

Thanks for the help everyone !

The sad thing with this blind way of voting is that we don't know if stocks or external tools were used. And I think we avoid to post in the discussion thread to not show we've submitted a pict...

Any annonimous comment from the author should be with the image... A bit more work but this could add more fun. What do you think ?

The sad thing with this blind way of voting is that we don't know if stocks or external tools were used. And I think we avoid to post in the discussion thread to not show we've submitted a pict...

Any annonimous comment from the author should be with the image... A bit more work but this could add more fun. What do you think ?

That is one of the things that has bothered me about this method of voting since we adopted it. The rules always state whether or not stocks are allowed in the comp and I have tried to be vigilant in policing the rules, but it's not always apparent to the members who are voting whether or not a stock was used in a piece. Considering the exceptional artistic talent found on this forum, I can see where sometimes it might be difficult to determine if stocks have been used in a piece. For me to post the stock images used in each comp would put a serious strain on the allowed bandwidth of my competition Photobucket account (I use the free account, hey I'm frugal)and could cause the images to disappear if that bandwidth were to be exceeded. What I could do would be to add an annotation with each entry in the entry thread as to whether or not a stock image(s) had been used in the creation of the entry, or if the image is stock free. In the next round, if stocks are allowed, I will add a line in the comp rules that requires that each entrant must declare any and all stocks in the entry PM to me and that entry will be annotated as such in the entry thread and if there is sufficient room in the poll as well. Does everyone find that to be an acceptable compromise?

Everyone, make sure to let me know which of the (above) listed themes you would like to see as the next round of the SAC. I'd like to get it stated before I go to bed on Monday night. Otherwise, you all will be subject to my random and irrational choice for the next theme, that might even include the dreaded Steam Punk's in space theme. So beware ! Make your choices known !

OK, I'm not a mind reader, at least not anymore. I had to give it up due to a court order and a monetary settlement. Anyway, the point is I was hoping that more people would chime in and help me choose the next theme. Sooooooooo, since everyone seems to have given up their tongue to a feral feline, I'm left with choosing the next theme. (Don't worry, it won't be steam punks in space).

I'll try to get it officially written up in the next couple of days, but the theme will be.......(cue the dramatic music) da duh duh !

View from the pilote's seat (in the cockpit, alien or human craft)

This comp will run for 2 weeks. So get started with your ideas, sharpen your pencils, clean your brushes, and go have some fun !

I have had someone ask if they could enter more than one piece for the SAC comp. We have done this in the past on other comps but not in the SAC. I think if someone has the time and inspiration to do more than one piece, they should be allowed to enter it. It would be good for the comps because there would be more entries for people to vote for. What do you think?

is there a complete list of what has been already done anywhere?

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

is there a complete list of what has been already done anywhere?

No, but I have a good memory for this kind of thing. All the SAC comps are in the Archive section. When I have time, I'll try to list them in order of which comp had which theme. I really need to get to work on my entry, so it might be a few days.

More than one entry is fine but we need to set a limit just the same. Previous experience & all that jazz...

Thanks for your input. I think no more than two entries would be fair.

I know that we have been around this bush before, but I'm always open to anything that will give the comps a little boost. Since participation has fallen off in the last few weeks, I don't see the harm in allowing multiple entries with a maximum of two for a while and see how it goes.

Anyone else have an opinion on this issue?