Disco Ball

ventor1

After searching the forum and stumbling upon a few bad attempts at creating a disco ball, I thought I would put forward the following creation - which I am sure can be further improved. You will need the following:

Shape 3D

AA's Assistant

My sparkle effect - set up as a custom mini brush

1. Create a new image (600 x 600) with black as the background layer.

2. In a new layer set grey (808080) as the background color, and create a white grid (effects/render/gridlines) at 23 for both vertical & horizontal spacing.

3. Using the magic wand, randomly select grid squares and fill with color 0062Ab.

4. Repeat the above step with the following colors: 007474, 00000, 00F3E9, 0064AB and FFFFFF. You should end up with something which resembles the following (note the outer grey border around the squares is the PDN background, and not the desired effect):

0001te.png

5. Run Shaped 3D at Half Sphere Map (Repeat) setting, and turn off Lighting and Specular Hilight. Play with the angles, although I ended up opting for:

Axis 1 @ 18.4, Axis 2 @ 1.7 and Axis 3 @ 13.0

6. Create a new layer above the ball, and as per the below image create an ellipse with the ellipse select tool and fill with a black - white radial gradient:

0002ua.png

7.Set the layer blending mode to additive, deselect and apply gaussian blur with the setting at 60.

8. Go back to the ball layer and using the magic wand select the area outside the ball. Now go back to the above layer and delete the selection.

9. Deselect and apply a gaussian blur with the setting at 1 to the ball.

10. Apply AA's Assistant (I am addicted to this plugin) with the sharpness set at 3 to the ball. You should have the following:

0003c.png

11. Merge down the top layer and using custom mini brushes, apply sparkles generously to the white squares.

12. Apply glow with radius @ 6, Brightness @ -57 and contrast @ -24.

13. Create a new layer below the ball layer and using the ellipse select tool create an ellipse bigger than the ball and fill with white. You should have this:

0004if.png

14. Deselect and apply a gaussian blur of 60 and set the layer opacity to 60.

You should have ended up with this:

0005v.png

naturesig.png

11. Merge down the top layer and using custom mini brushes, apply sparkles generously to the white squares.

Why not use Sparkle, Glitter & Stars or Sparkles Effect . There's also Star Glow

Plugin Index boltbait.wink.png Appended to the first post is a downloadable *.PDF which covers the range of effects available.

You allowed a strange app to install 180 *.dll files on your PC? You are too trusting!

You might want to check the Plugin Load Errors as the website you got the package off distributes old versions of many plugins.

The only place you should get plugins is this forum.

• 3 weeks later...