Pictures Side-By-Side / "Before and After" Images

Sarkut

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download  

Pictures Side-By-Side / "Before and After" Images

This question comes up in the GD&Q fairly often.

1-

Open your "Before" picture with paint.net.

Before.png

In the Status Bar, set the Units to Pixels

Status Bar.png

The pixel dimensions of the image are shown in the Status Bar (800x600 in the image above). Take note of the image size.

Click on the Image menu

imagemenu[1].png

===================================

2-

Click on Canvas Size

canvassize[1].png

Be sure that there is no checkmark beside Maintain Aspect Ratio (tip: click the checkmark to toggle it on/off)

Double the Width (example: 800 X 2 = 1600). Type this number in to the Width value box. Note: if you want a border to appear between the two images, add the width of the border to the calculated Width value (example: 800 X 2 + border 40 = 1640)

Select Anchor - Left

Canvas size.png

Click OK to accept these parameters.

3-

Canvasresized.png

Import the "After" image, using Layers > Import From File

layersmenu[1].png

This will bring the "After" image in as a separate layer above the first (Before) image.

The "After" image will be selected and the Move Selected Pixels tool :MoveTool: activated following the import.

4-

imported After.png 

Use the mouse to move the "After" image to the right (click and drag it).

To make fine adjustments, or if you don't have a steady hand, use the keyboard Arrow keys to move the After image.

5-

moving after.png

Once the second image is positioned where you want it, use File > Save As...

Save as whatever file type you want.

finished.png

This tutorial shows how to place two images equal in size next to each other.

If the images are of different pixel dimensions,

you may want to resize and/or crop the larger image before starting.

• Upvote 2

Brilliant! Thank you Sarkut. This tut will make things much easier when Newbs ask.

BOOKMARKED

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, that is clearly the more efficient way of doing things.

This is targeted for beginners.

I don't want to confuse things by telling them to do

the "After" before the "Before", and the "Before" after the "After".

The tutorial as-is introduces the use of the Move Selected Pixels tool.

Your post is a worthy addition.

Edited by Sarkut

• 7 months later...

Brilliant stuff dude..I have bookmarked it so that I'll check it when I'll try to place two picture of same size next to each other..!!

Thanks for the tutorial..!! :)

• 1 month later...

Sarkut, how would I go about making 4 different pics 2 on the top and two on the bottom, side-by-side and connected top and bottom?

Also if I needed to put more than two together either horizontally or vertically, or together as I requested above but with more than two, is there a different procedure?

It's the same process - repeated.

The easiest way to explain it it to perform the above side-by-side transformation on both the upper images. Repeat that to connect the two lower images.

Finally use the same technique to expand the canvas depth to allow the combined-upper and combined-lower images to be combined.

Try it.

When you get used to the technique you'll probably figure out that the whole process can be done more simply by expanding the canvas once, and importing the other three images one at a time into separate layers. Then the process is using the move tool :MoveTool: to individually position each layer relative to the others.

• Like 1

How do I expand the canvas? From what you just said, I think I would rather try this way than the beginner way. BTW, I'm able to do this right away. Yesterday I had a family emergency so I wasn't able to get to it until now.

How do I expand the canvas?

Image > Canvas Size

http://www.getpaint..../ImageMenu.html

Pressing F1 in Paint.net will take you to the same online docs.

Okay, it took a little while but I figured it out. At first I couldn't figure out how to get the pics underneath the first two side-by-side pics. Then the light-bulb went on.

You have to change the canvas height also.

Ego Eram Reputo, when you said "Finally use the same technique to expand the canvas depth to allow the combined-upper and combined-lower images to be combined." I was a little confused and had no idea exactly what that meant. I now assume when you said canvas depth that you were talking about the canvas height. Thanks for you help.

Edited by Dragoneer

Canvas height or canvas depth as opposed to canvas width, you got the idea!

Glad I was able to help.

• 10 months later...

...I don't even understand the instructions. Way, way too complicated...

What problem are you having? If you don't understand what is written, the picture illustrates what is said. How is this difficult? Plus it's only 5 steps.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this.

If I may ask here - I wrote some text in BEFORE picture and then imported the AFTER picture and wrote something in it too.

If I want to modify text in the BEFORE picture later, can I do that and if so - how? For now, it seems to me that I can only edit the picture that I most lately imported.

I use images for mental mapping so I constantly put something on the pictures so I want to be able to put something in my images some time later.

---

Please excuse my ignorance, answer to my question is trivial.

Edited by Ichabod

Text cannot be edited once it is committed to the canvas. This means that once you're finished with the Text tool :TextTool:, the characters become collections of pixels in the layer.

For this reason we advise placing your text on it's own layer. If the text needs to be replaced it is straightforward to delete the layer contents and retype the text in the same color and font.

You may be having another issue, that of changing the active layer, because editing operations are applied to the active layer. To change the active layer, click on the new layer name in the Layers Window - this clicked layer should receive the editing focus and display a highlight in the Layers Window.

• 4 years later...

Hi Dear Paint Administrators and User!  <3

I have noticed that and the images are no longer available. It is possible to restore the images? Thank you.

• Upvote 1

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

Your wish is my command Seerose :)

• Upvote 2

On 16.10.2016 at 3:13 AM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Your wish is my command Seerose :)

Oh.. Dear ERR!  <3

Thank you so much for the time to host these.  getraenk_098.gif

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

• 9 months later...

Ok, set anchor top left to top right. Still anchors top left.:(

Edited by Weby
found answer to question one, then hit question 2

Can you show me a screenshot of the resize dialog?

• 10 months later...

Something I just stumbled upon....Make cropping your 'after' pic the very last thing you do before saving - else you end up with only the image in layer 2. As you can see..Complete newb!     ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:45 AM, mrs.flopsybunny said:

Something I just stumbled upon....Make cropping your 'after' pic the very last thing you do before saving - else you end up with only the image in layer 2. As you can see..Complete newb!    ;)

You should, just before the time you select "Save As", already have Clicked on each layer with the

"Merge Layer Down" button (On  your Layers box)

I hope the illustration will get you pointed in the right direction 

answer1.png

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

EER

Along with Searose,  I too wish you a Brew, for your fine work.  beer-chugger.gif.4e90fc504b7743a60df37b2b5851c3a8.gif

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️