Photo-realistic iPhone (front view)

Musiphonix

Hello, this is my second crack at a tutorial, or rather a set of tutorials. This is the first instalment in the "Photo-realistic iPhone" series, which covers the front of the device. The second covers the rear of the device, whilst the third covers the side. I'll update with the links when I write them.

The following tutorial assumes that you have a decent understanding on how (from a user perspective) Paint.NET works. If you're new, read up on the help files before you attempt this tutorial.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Resources:

• iPhone template (.pdn) - (link)
  • iPhone finished (.pdn) - (link)

You will need the following plugins:

Align Object

Soften Edges

Gaussian Blur+

Tutorial:

You will be making this:

Iphone%20Finished.jpg?psid=1

1. Open "iPhone template" (found in the resources section).

1.jpg?psid=1

2. Fill the template with solid black.

2.jpg?psid=1

3. Create a new layer.

3.jpg?psid=1

4. Select the Paintbrush tool and set anti-aliasing to off. Set the colour to white and the size to 26. Create a white circle as shown in the image below (we'll center in in the next step).

4.jpg?psid=1

5. Align object, center horizontally.

5.jpg?psid=1

6. Create a new layer.

6.jpg?psid=1

7. Draw a opaque, curved rectangle as shown in the image below (we'll center in in the next step).

7.jpg?psid=1

8. Align object, center horizontally.

8.jpg?psid=1

9. Create a new layer.

9.jpg?psid=1

10. Draw a circle as shown in the image below. Be sure to make it the same hight as the object you drew in step 7.

10.jpg?psid=1

11. Create a new layer.

11.jpg?psid=1

12. Draw a solid rectangle like the one shown in the image below.

12.jpg?psid=1

13. Align object, center horizontally.

13.jpg?psid=1

14. Create a new layer.

14.jpg?psid=1

15. Paste an image that you like the screen to display (I'm using a screenshot from the Curves+ plugin (because I'm lazy)). Make sure that it covers the white square.

16. Go back to layer 6, select the white square and invert the selection. Go back to layer 7 and press delete. You can now delete layer 6 (if you want to).

15.jpg?psid=1

17. After this point, we'll be bouncing around layers. I suggest you name your layers (if you haven't already, like me).

16%20e.jpg?psid=1

18. Create a new layer above "Button". Name it "Button Icon".

17.jpg?psid=1

19. Draw a small square over the button, the colour should be a light grey (#808080). Be sure it's in the center of the button.This should be a hollow square with anti-aliasing and a 1px border.

18.jpg?psid=1

20. On the "Base" layer, select the black. Set the primary colour to solid black (#000000) and your secondary colour to "#0A0A0A". Draw a linear gradient from top to bottom as show in the image below.

19.jpg?psid=1

21. Set the secondary colour to a light grey (#999999). Goto the the "Button" layer and select the white area. Draw a gradient like the one shown in the image below. OPTIONAL: Use one of the many anti-aliasing plugins on the button (if you think it's too rough).

20.jpg?psid=1

22. Set the primary colour to "#0A0A0A". On the layer "Front-Facing Camara", select the white area. Fill it.

21.jpg?psid=1

23. Select a square within the circle. Set the secondary colour to "#0C0099". Reverse the colours and draw a gradient like the one shown (I did have to use the paintbrush with anti-aliasing to do that (awkward sizes)).

22.jpg?psid=1

24; Select the graident, invert selection. Soften edges with the settings shown.

23.jpg?psid=1

25. Change the primary colour to "#4C4C4C". On the layer "Speaker", select the white area and draw a linear gradient like in the image below.

24.jpg?psid=1

26. Without deselecting, create a new layer above speakers. Name this layer "Speaker Holes". Select the rectangle drawing tool and change fill to "Percent 25". Make the primary colour completely tansparent, reverse the colours and draw a 'solid' rectangle over the selected area.

25.jpg?psid=1

27. Deselect. Go back to the layer "Speaker". Use gaussion blur plus with the settings shown.

26.jpg?psid=1

28. Create a new layer above "Screen Image". Call it "Lighting".

27.jpg?psid=1

29. Go to the "Base" layer, select the tranparency and invert the selection. Go to the "Lighting" layer and draw a solid white line cut-off by the selection edge (follow the image).

28.jpg?psid=1

30. Select the white area you've just drawn. Draw a white to transparent gradient like in the image below. Change the opacity to something between 170 and 210.

29.jpg?psid=1

31. Deselect, flatten and you're done!

Iphone%20Finished.jpg?psid=1

Thank you for reading my tutorial. I hope you had fun executing it. If you have any suggestions, I will most likely head them (unless they suck).

Edited by Musiphonix